Ok, yes, you are on the correct site and yes, this is not a Paleo Recipe. However, tomorrow is Christmas and once a year, I break my Paleo vows and make Lumpia. Lumpia has and will always be a symbol of celebration and Christmas to me. Growing up my mother would always whip up several dozen for every birthday, graduation and holiday. I know that this is probably the ultimate sin but I don’t care. I promise however that this will be the only non-Paleo recipe that I share on my site as it’s truly the only one left that I ever eat.
Until 30 minutes ago when I actually looked at the food label (say what? crazy food label reading nazi here) I thought the wrappers were made from rice – not shockingly whole wheat. Yeah, when I put my foot in it, I put my food in it. Having said all that, this recipe is super simple. I don’t mess about with chopping up veggies but simply buy a prepackaged organic veggie slaw mix.
If you’ve never rolled Lumpa, that’s going to be the tough part. Here’s a video tutorial I found on how to do it. Also, you don’t need a ton of cooking oil when frying. I didn’t measure how much I used but I would say this is 3/4 cup of Palm shortening.
- 1 package of Menlo Wrappers
- 1 lb of ground beef or chicken
- 2 cups of chopped veggies (cabbage, carrots,etc) - again I use an organic prepackage slaw
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup of oyster sauce
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- 1 egg
- ¾- 1 cup of Palm shortening for frying
- In a skillet combined the ground beef, onion, and veggies and cook until the meat is well done.
- Add in the salt, pepper and oyster sauce and mix until well blended.
- Remove skillet from oven and set aside.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk. This is the "glue" that you will use to seal the wrapper.
- Peel the lumpia wrapper in to individual pieces and place one spoonful of filling into the wrapper and roll as the video shows.
- At this point I leave out what I want to cook immediately and place the rest in freezer safe bags for later. I will often take the balance and give them away as gifts.
- In a medium pan warm your cooking oil. When it's hot drop your lumpia in and fry until golden brown on one side and then flip. These serious brown up in 4 minuted or less.
- Remove lumpia from the pan and drain on a piece of paper toweling.
© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.