Last month I made a mistake when ordering from my food coop and instead of buying 5 pounds of 70% chocolate, I bought Chocolate Liquor drops. This turned out to be the perfect mistake as I had to learn how to make chocolate. The base of the recipe (a touch adjusted) will also be in my upcoming Paleo Dessert Cookbook so be sure to keep an eye out for it in January.
Ok, a couple of tips on the Peppermint candy crackle. Move quick as it sets up crazy fast. Just mix the ingredients in and pour it on to the Silpat/Parchment Paper as fast as you can. I wanted to try to get a white color and it didn’t really work. I used coconut shreds to try to do this and it’s still more of a lovely golden color. In the future I will probably just skip doing two colors and simple do the red since it’s less work.
- To make the candy crackle place ½ cup of honey in a sauce pan and cook until you reach the Soft Crack stage - 285 degrees. Mix in the raspberries and then add in 1 tsp of peppermint flavor. Pour on to a Silpat or piece of parchment paper and let cool. Repeat for coconut candy crackle.
- In another saucepan melt your palm shortening and chocolate. When completely liquid add in the maple syrup and peppermint flavor. Whisk for 30 seconds and then pour onto a piece of parchment paper or Silpat - I use an 8 x 11 sheet pan - and set in the fridge to harden up.
- When the peppermint candy crackle is hard - break it up into small pieces and set aside.
- After 20 - 30 minutes remove the chocolate from the fridge and spread the crackle pieces on top. The chocolate will be soft so you should press the candy into chocolate.
- Let the chocolate sit for 3 -4 hours and enjoy! Store this in the refrigerator.
© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.