Back in my grain eating days, I prided myself on my pineapple upside down cake. Seriously people asked me for the recipe all the time and the sad thing was that it was box cake mix that I just jazzed up with a ton of butter and sugar.
I had to use butter for the Grain free Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe because the flavor of butter and coconut sugar are what make this taste true to me.
A couple of notes. You need to let this sit out for 15 minutes before diving in. The top of the cake needs to dry out a touch. If you want this to have a slightly more caramelized top, you can add more coconut sugar.
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup of melted butter
- ½ cup of pineapple juice (taken from the can)
- ¼ cup of coconut sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup of melted butter
- 1 cup of crushed pineapple drained (32 oz can of crushed pineapple -save juice)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar
- 5 fresh or frozen cherries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8" round baking pan.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar on the bottom and then place the cherries.
- Cover the crushed pineapple in a thin layer over the top, and pour the melted butter over the top and then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake ingredients and mix with an wooden spoon until completely blended.
- Pour over the pineapple and place in your oven to bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Flip the cake onto a platter and then let sit for 15 minutes before chomping!
© 2011-2015, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.