Paleo Corn Dogs

paleo corn dogs

Growing up my favorite foods were spam, fried bologna with mayo sandwiches and corn dogs.   I love to tinker in the kitchen and recreate the foods that  loved when I ate grains so, of course, paleo corn dogs were at the top of my list.

With summer around the corner, I busted out my recipe and whipped up a batch for dinner tonight.  I hope that you enjoy them.

Paleo Corn Dogs

precoating

• 1/4 cup Arrowroot Flour

Batter

The rest

• 6 hot dogs
  • Coconut oil for frying

1. Pre-boil the hot dogs. This is not necessary but with the Applegate Farms All Beef hot dogs, it really improves the flavor. Let the hot dog cool and then place in a bowl.
  2. Add the 1/4 cup of arrowroot to pre-coat the hot dogs.
  3. To make the batter add the coconut flour, arrowroot, baking powder and salt to a bowl and blend well with a spoon.
  4. In a separate bowl combine the melted butter, honey, egg and milk.
  5. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
  6. The batter will be rather thick but it's necessary so that it will stick to the hot dogs.
  7. Drop the hot dogs into the batter and coat on all sides. I will "dunk" them into the batter and let them sit for a couple of seconds. Use a spoon to help coat them and remove from the batter.
  8. I roll them around several times to get a nice thick coating and scoop them up with a spoon so I can get more batter on the bottom of them.
  9. Drop the corn dog in the hot oil and brown on both sides.
  10. One side may be prettier than the other but they still taste excellent.

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

1. Bejelly May 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm

We love Applegate Farms The Great Organic Hot Dog. Seriously the most amazing flavor and yes, gluten free 🙂

1. Zack May 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Looks good! Corn Dogs are one of my favorite food groups! 😀 I gotta try this recipe for making them myself.

2. Elizabeth Owens May 15, 2012 at 5:50 pm

So yummy looking! I eat so many corn dogs in the summer time 🙂

3. Mimi May 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Those are awesome! Something my boys would definitely love! I’ve never tried to make homemade ones before!

4. Debbie May 15, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Yummy!! I haven’t had a corn dog in ages!! Thanks for sharing

5. Jenn June 7, 2012 at 7:49 am

Cool! I had to click when I saw the title of the recipe because I was thinking “how in the world…”

6. Billie June 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

These sound pretty easy to make, thanks for sharing. Though I have to admit, I don’t know what Paleo means, guess I’ll have to look it up.

7. Marcie W. June 29, 2012 at 10:36 am

Pinned and can not WAIT to try these! As a low carb’er I am beyond stoked. THANK YOU!

8. April June 30, 2012 at 7:48 am

Oh wow I am going to have to try and make these, looks really good, love the photography!

9. Zipporah Sandler July 7, 2012 at 6:18 pm

THanks – I’m low carbing right now and these would be a great addition.

10. Shaina August 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm

The coating is super yummy but doesn’t seem to cook and falls off the hotdog so easily…any tips??

1. Kelly Bejelly August 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hrmm. did you boil the hot dogs? I’ve always boiled them and maybe it changes the texture. I put the cool hot dog in the batter and let keeping rolling it until I get a nice coating – sometimes this takes a minute. Then drop into hot oil. It should puff up slightly and one side won’t be so nice to look at but the other side should be perfectly coated.

11. Kathy November 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Thank you for sharing your recipe. I like the batter, but I couldn’t get it to stick to the dogs. I was wondering whether you use canned coconut milk or the coconut milk beverage sold as a milk substitute? That would probably make a difference.

1. Kelly Bejelly November 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Hrmm. .. I haven’t ever made it with coconut oil so I’m not sure how it would work. You could give it a go. I know when I make this recipe I have to roll it several times and move it quickly to the fry pan. One side is perfect – the other not so much.

12. Lisa February 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm

My son would love this!

13. Mellisa August 1, 2013 at 7:23 pm

We are a corn dog loving family! These look great.

14. Kelly December 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I tried these and could not get the batter to stick. It just slid right off the hot dog. I did pre-boil the hot dogs as suggested. Any other ideas for how to make this work? I think the flavor is great!

1. Kelly Bejelly December 17, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Maybe try a light coating of tapioca flour or coconut flour? I’ll try this next time I make these and update!

15. Grace March 14, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I think ‘corn’ dog bites would be a smart way to avoid batter falling off. I’m going to grease a mini-muffin tin with cocnut oil and then hide a slice of dog in between dollops of batter and bake them. Easy finger food for dipping!

1. Kelly Bejelly March 15, 2014 at 8:52 am

Grace, that is an excellent idea and I will do that the next time I make this recipe!

16. SHERILYNN L SLEVIRA April 12, 2016 at 7:18 am

mine SUCKED!! i did put batter into fridge until I did other stuff. i think that was a big mistake, it got too thick.