Paleo Apple Fritters Recipe

PALEO DESSERT

I recently discovered tapioca flour and while I know it falls into the cheat group, I’m in love with using it for pizza dough and other “bread-like” recipes.   The thing I miss most being grain-free is donuts.   While trying to create a donut recipe, I stumbled on to another sweet favorite – apple fritters.

Another lovely thing about this paleo dessert is that it is a nut free recipe.  I know I’ve done something right when Mr. Bejelly asks me to make something more than three times.  We really enjoy the paleo apple fritters with coffee.

This recipe is now exclusively available in my  Paleo Cookbook Paleo Eats.

1. Deanna U May 7, 2012 at 9:15 am

Oh yum! Sounds delish 🙂

2. Linda R May 7, 2012 at 9:54 am

These sound wonderful. I’ve never heard of Tapioca flour. It’s always nice when I find new things to work with. Hopefully I can find it somewhere around where I live

1. Bejelly May 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I just discovered it. It gives foods a springy texture so I’m exploring the possibilities. I hope you find some so you can enjoy this recipe.

3. Isra May 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

I love fritter anything, these sound delish! I’ve never heard of tapioca flour, will look into it!

4. Debbie May 7, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Looks super yummy!!

5. Felissa (Two Little Cavaliers) May 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm

YUM! Sounds amazing and I can actually eat all of the ingredients. I have never deep fried anything the bubbling oil scares me a little but these sound absolutely amazing and might just get me to do it. Thank you for sharing.

6. Jenn W May 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Pinned it!! Yummy!! 🙂

7. Donna June 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Yummy! I pinned it to try later. I’ve never used tapioca flour before, so I’m intrigued. 🙂

8. Stefanie June 9, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m not paleo, but these look good!

9. Courtney June 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm

These sound yummy! Believe it or not I’ve never had a fritter!

1. Bejelly July 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm

It looks like a tasty recipe but I have a nut allergy so that leaves me with coconut flour as the main flour I can use. Thanks for sharing.

10. Marcie W. July 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm

These are going to be the first thing I make after the low calorie portion of my HCG round. Can’t wait!!

11. Stephanie KL September 19, 2013 at 11:28 am

Is there a substitute for cardamom? I know only a small amount is used here but it is brutally expensive. If there is no substitute, would it alter the flavor a great deal if it were to be omitted?

1. Kelly Bejelly September 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm

You can skip it and add cinnamon if you like 🙂

12. Rachael December 7, 2013 at 10:24 am

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. My fritters didn’t stay together at all when frying them. Any idea what could have caused this? My dough was pretty runny, so maybe I didn’t measure the flours correctly?? Did you pack the flour?

1. Rachael December 7, 2013 at 10:32 am

OMG. I just realized I misread my conversion chart and added twice the amount of butter that the recipe called for. That must have been what caused my problem. I will definitely try this recipe again because even with them falling apart and having too much butter they were still good!

1. Kelly Bejelly December 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Aw 🙂 I hope they work better next time hun 🙂

13. donna March 31, 2014 at 7:28 am

can you please tell me the amount of honey we have to use

1. Kelly Bejelly March 31, 2014 at 8:34 am

Hi Donna! Thanks so much for your question! 1/4 cup!

14. Chris April 8, 2014 at 5:36 pm

These look delicious, but I do have one question: how much oil do you fry these in? In other words, what depth of oil should be in the pan?

1. Kelly Bejelly April 8, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Chris, I have a really small fry pan that I use. It’s maybe 7″ round. I use roughly 2 1/2 – 3 cups of oil to fry these. You don’t need a ton.

15. Denise B. April 28, 2014 at 2:05 pm

These were delicious! I made chunks of apple instead of shredding it and substituted coconut sugar for the honey and they came out great. I didn’t bother flattening them. I just fried them for 2 minutes or less per side and everything came out fully cooked and delicious!!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe. It was a great treat after nearly 2 years without a doughnut type treat!

16. Michelle June 6, 2014 at 10:19 am

Can I use Truvia in place of honey?

1. Kelly Bejelly June 6, 2014 at 10:29 am

I don’t see why that would be an issue. You might need to add a touch of water to the batter if it’s too stiff.