Banana and Cream Oatmeal (AIP, Vegan, Paleo)

This simple banana and cream oatmeal is a quick breakfast! Paleo, Vegan and AIP, it uses only 4 ingredients!

aip vegan banana and cream oatmeal

I’ve been dreaming of a creating an AIP Vegan oatmeal recipe so three weeks ago I broke down and bought some raw coconut butter because I heard people raving about how delicious it was.

It’s not cheap though. If I had a blender that was worth any salt I would have just bought some unsweetened coconut flakes and whizzed it up.

Instead, I have to buy the $15 stuff which does taste AMAZING and is WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Anyhow, if you’ve bought raw coconut butter you know that the stuff is hard as a rock. You ‘ll have to soften it with warm water so you can mix the butter and the oils together and get coconut creaminess.

homemade coconut cream

The Little is a banana eating fiend and one day I threw together ripe bananas, coconut butter, a pinch of salt and cinnamon. I was blown away by how much it reminded me of soaked oatmeal. Banana and Cream oatmeal was born and I had created my first aip breakfast recipe.

Seriously there are two things I miss from my grain eating days and soaked oatmeal ranks at the top. I quickly killed my jar of coconut butter and am eagerly awaiting my case from my food buying club.

First, this is not low carb. Shock! Two, this is vegan! I know your mind is spinning. Paleo and Vegan in the same recipe and the world did not explode. Three, I cheat and warm my coconut butter up in a saucepan until it’s nice and runny.

This really helps with the creaminess and oatmeal-like flavor. You can jazz up the Banana and Cream Oatmeal with berries and nuts.

vegan and aip paleo oatmeal

What you’ll need for this recipe

• Banana
  • Coconut butter
  • Sea salt
  • Cinnamon power

Mash your banana and add the Celtic sea salt and cinnamon.

Warm the coconut manna/butter in sauce pan over low heat.

When it’s runny and warm remove from the heat and scoop it into the banana mixture.

Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!

Notes and Variations

You can add additional toppings to the oatmeal like walnuts, berries or flaxseed.

If you like this Banana and Cream Oatmeal recipe, you’ll love:

Paleo Oatmeal

Paleo Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal

Paleo Chex

Did you make and love this recipe?  Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!

Banana and Cream "Oatmeal"

Yield: 1
This Vegan oatmeal recipe is so simple and paleo to boot!

1. Mash your banana and add the Celtic sea salt and cinnamon.
  2. Warm the coconut manna/butter in sauce pan over low heat.
  3. When it's runny and warm remove from the heat and scoop it into the banana mixture.
  4. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:
Yield: 1 Serving Size: g
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 292 Saturated Fat: 5g Sodium: 398mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 16g Protein: 3g

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

1. Jennifer July 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm

oh my gosh! My youngest would LOVE this! she is obsessed with bananas!

2. Courtney July 24, 2012 at 2:15 am

Honestly I hate real oatmeal so I might love this! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

3. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell July 24, 2012 at 8:50 am

The only thing I wonder about is how strong the coconut flavor is. I don’t know why, but I just hate that taste! Love the smell though!

1. Bejelly July 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

It does a have strong coconut butter flavor Liz so it may not be your favorite.

4. Theresa July 24, 2012 at 11:27 am

Mmmmm! This sounds so good and yummy!

5. Donna July 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I love coconut, and oatmeal. I hate bananas (with the exception of banana nut bread, which, I love). 🙂 My hubby & son loves bananas, though. So I’ll give it a try!

6. Angie@Angie's Recipes July 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm

This looks wholesome! I also just bought a bottle of coconut oil (a bit pricey over here too) and I have to make this for the breakfast this weekend!

7. Lolo July 24, 2012 at 9:47 pm

That does really look amazing.

8. Connie July 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Interesting! I’m a banana fan just about any way you make it.

9. debra July 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Now this is something I would absolutely love! Looks delicious!

10. Tammy July 25, 2012 at 8:30 am

It looks really yummy.

11. Billie July 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I love bananas and banana flavored stuff, but coconut is not a favorite of mine.

12. MomStart (Ashley) July 25, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I’ve never tried coconut butter… looks like a good recipe!

13. Toni July 28, 2012 at 9:16 am

This sounds amazing. IThanks for sharing.

14. Kathleen July 28, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Yum! I love bananas and I love oatmeal, so definitely want to try this.

15. Our Small Hours July 29, 2012 at 7:26 am

Sounds yummy. I’ve got coconut butter in the cabinet waiting for me to do something with it. I think this is the thing.

16. April July 29, 2012 at 8:02 am

That looks really good, but I love the pictures even more 🙂

17. Colleen August 7, 2012 at 5:53 pm

This looks so good! I need to learn how to take photos like this!

1. Kelly Bejelly August 7, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Aw, thank you Colleen 🙂

18. Toni October 4, 2012 at 7:01 am

This sounds like something I woudl love to eat right this moment.

19. Mazzy December 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

I eat a similar thing as dessert or for breakfast, depending on how many carbs I want to consume. I take a whole banana, nuke it up, mash it until it’s creamy. Add cinnamon and chopped pecans on top. Then I heat some full fat coconut milk (for fat content) and almond milk (for sweetness) together and pour over it the same way that I would for oatmeal. Sometimes I’ll add a couple of warmed up raisins (warming them bloats them and improves the flavor/juicyness). All this for someone who never liked bananas!

The next thing I want to try is grinding up the nuts and mixing them with the banana to make it more meal-y.

I like the idea of mixing in coconut butter. I think coconut oil would probably work, too. Thanks for the recipe!

1. Kelly Bejelly December 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Mazzy your recipe sound awesome! I have to cut back on nuts right now as they really give me skin issues.

20. Deborah Norris January 26, 2013 at 9:54 am

Sounds yummy!! How do you make your own coconut butter? Also, Im interested in your food buying club. What is that exactly?

1. Kelly Bejelly January 26, 2013 at 10:05 am

Hi Deborah 🙂 You buy coconut shreds and process them in your blender until you have a coconut paste. I tried this is my weaker blender/food processor and it did not work. I now have a Blendtec and it can do the job. I did see someone with a Ninja Blender who was also able to make it. On Thursdays I share frugal tips and one my upcoming post will be about how to create a food buying club.

21. Rachel R. January 27, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I have a *Vitamix* and my attempt at homemade coconut butter was a major fail. It seems to be hit-or-miss for people, judging from Chocolate-Covered Katie’s post, and I’m not sure why.

22. Diane February 14, 2013 at 8:23 am

Oh my gosh this is good! I added some thawed frozen berries – very filling!

1. Kelly Bejelly February 14, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thanks Diane! I’m so glad you liked it 🙂

23. Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents February 23, 2013 at 6:52 am

I should be able to give this 10 stars. For real. This stuff should be illegal. I didn’t have coconut butter (ordered but it hasn’t arrived yet), so I used almond butter. ROCKIN’! I can’t wait to try the coconut butter…and maybe cashew butter. YEAH! 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly February 23, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thanks Stacy and using a nut butter as a replacement sounds awesome!

2. zBri January 5, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Oh, almond butter! Ok, very helpful substitution because I don’t have access to the coconut butter (or the budget anyway) and I was hoping there was an alternative 😉 Thanks!!

24. Steffanie October 8, 2013 at 9:34 am

Just made this after finding a link on another site for AIP friendly breakfast ideas. This was just delicious and wonderful. I’ve been missing oatmeal and love both bananas and coconut so it’s perfect. Thank you so much for figuring this out and writing it down!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 8, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’m so glad that you enjoyed it Steffanie 🙂

25. Karyn October 11, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I had this for dessert last night, and then again for breakfast this morning! It is so simple, but sooooo good!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 11, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Aw, I’m glad you enjoyed it Karyn 🙂

26. Rachel May 25, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Thanks, this looks wonderful! Coconut butter is so expensive but I found something called creamed coconut (not the same thing as coconut cream) and it is EXACTLY the same thing as coconut butter only it was WAY cheaper!!! I found it next to the canned coconut milk. It comes in a small cardboard box. It’s called creamed coconut and the brand was “Let’s Do Organic” You can probably find it on amazon and it’ll save you a ton! I googled the difference between coconut butter and creamed coconut and it’s the same thing, also can be called coconut manna. 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly May 26, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I’ll have to keep an eye out for it Rachel and I hope you enjoy it hun.

27. Allyson June 13, 2014 at 5:10 am

Can I use coconut oil and get the same results? I don’t have any coconut butter or flakes at the moment. I saw in the comments that someone used almond butter. Which do you think would be better substitute, coconut oil or almond butter?

Thank you so very much for all your recipes!

1. Kelly Bejelly June 13, 2014 at 9:18 am

Almond butter would be better since it has more texture than coconut oil. Happy Eating Allyson.

28. Maria June 17, 2014 at 6:14 am

It’s as good as it looks but I used half of the called for amount of coconut butter simply because it’s ridiculously expensive. My new favorite breakfast.

29. Nancy September 26, 2014 at 6:46 am

I just made my own coconut butter in the vitamix and it took a while but it finally worked! This recipe was delicious – I added blueberries, cinnamon and a couple chopped pecans. WONDERFUL!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 27, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Yum! I need to get a different jar so that my blender will do this!

30. Helen May 14, 2015 at 6:18 pm

This was so delicious!! It’s going to be my new go-to breakfast 🙂 Thank you so much!!!

31. RainahN June 21, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Great base, but I gotta say, the thing that makes this work for me, and the thing that balances out the coconut and banana for me, is a little bit of lime juice…….. yum!

1. Kelly Bejelly November 14, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Lime sounds like an amazing addition hun!

32. Michelle September 17, 2017 at 4:49 am

Found this recipe on pinterest and it is so good! Thanks!

33. Alison McAdams February 25, 2019 at 5:15 am

How would it be heating the banana? We really avoid consuming raw fruit with other items since it digests at different speeds and ferments in your stomach causing digestive issues.

34. Yvonne March 6, 2019 at 11:06 am

Thank you for this recipe. It’s even better than oatmeal, which I shouldn’t eat anymore but love on chilly mornings. This is delicious!

35. Allison March 12, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Can you refridgerate and reheat this? or does it get gross?

1. Kelly Bejelly April 9, 2019 at 6:23 am

It would not do well refrigerated and would turn dark brown.