This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Mr. Bejelly loves coffee and macadamia nuts and when he turned the ripe age of 39, I thought it was time to make him a special paleo dessert. A once a year treat combining his two loves in a recipe for toffee. I make it a point not to eat a lot of sugar but when I tasted this Coffee Macadamia Nut Toffee I was tempted. 4 years ago, I would have eaten the whole batch, hidden the evidence and not blinked an eye. Today, I’ve asked Mr.Bejelly to hide it from me because I fear for its safety.
This recipe for toffee only has four ingredients. I cook the coffee, honey and butter over low heat – because I have to baby wrangle and can’t watch it closely – which you will need to do once it hits the soft boiling stage. Once it hits that stage you’ll need to stir constantly and keep checking it watching for the syrup to fully coat the spoon like in the photo. See how foamy and bubbly it is. This is what it will look like when it’s ready. This was around the 40 minute mark for me but if you turn the heat up you’ll get to the syrup stage much quicker. Just be careful and don’t burn the honey.
Spoon the delicious paleo dessert mixture on to a Silpat and wait. Don’t count the minutes. Just try to ignore it for the full hour and then dig in.
- 1 1/2 cups of strong brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup of honey
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 3/4 lb of Macadamia Nuts
- Combine the coffee, honey and butter in medium sauce pan and cook on low heat.
- Let the mixture come to a soft rolling boil and allow to cook for 30 minutes.
- Around the 30 minute mark it will start thickening and you will need to watch the toffee and stir it constantly.
- When the mixture will coat a spoon (roughly at the 35 – 40 minute mark) it’s time to add in the Macadamia nuts. Mix them in quickly and transfer to a Silpat or greased baking sheet.
- Let cool for an hour and enjoy!
© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.