I can remember clearly the first time I had deep dish pizza. I thought I had died and gone to heaven and it was with tears I bid goodbye to it when I gave up all grains. Now, you know I eat dairy and some Paleo kids out there don’t but I can not have pizza without cheese. This recipe is both a paleo homage to deep dish pizza and a casserole hence the name.
I didn’t want to mess with a coconut flour crust with this so I used eggplant to line the bottom of my 8″ cast iron pan. I don’t make a huge batch of this because Mr. Bejelly doesn’t like eggplant and is not big fan of casseroles. Imagine my surprise when he gobbled up half of this. Also, I get my Italian sausage bulk from my deli so it cooks up like a ground beef. If you get links you’ll need to crumble them up.
- 1 small eggplant sliced into 2" wide strips.
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- 5 oz shredded parmesan
- 3/4 lb spicy Italian pork sausage crumble cooked.
- 4 oz pizza sauce
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Grease your pan with the coconut oil and line with the strips of eggplant. You only want one layer of eggplant (you might have extra).
Spread a light layer of pizza sauce over the eggplant and top this with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Next add all the Italian pork sausage and top with the rest of the mozzarella and half of the balance of the parmesan
- Spread a layer of marinara over it all and put in your oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Six minutes before the pizza is complete, take the pan out of the oven and cover with the rest of the parmesan. Garnish with Italian parsley.
© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.