This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Kid loved, this easy pizza casserole is a lower cab version that the whole family can enjoy! Top with all your favorite pizza toppings!
I can remember clearly the first time I had deep dish pizza. I thought I had died and gone to heaven and it was with tears I bid goodbye to it when I gave up all grains.
Now, you know I eat dairy and some Paleo kids out there don’t but I can not have pizza without cheese. This recipe is both a paleo homage to deep dish pizza and a casserole hence the name.
I didn’t want to mess with a coconut flour crust with this so I used eggplant to line the bottom of my 8″ cast iron pan.
I don’t make a huge batch of this because Mr. Bejelly doesn’t like eggplant and is not big fan of casseroles.
Imagine my surprise when he gobbled up half of this.
Also, I get my Italian sausage bulk from my deli so it cooks up like a ground beef. If you get links you’ll need to crumble them up.
Why this recipe works
Pepperoni pizza meets casserole and creates a super simple dish that you can whip up easily.
How to Make This Pizza Casserole Recipe:
Spread a light layer of pizza sauce over the eggplant and top this with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan.
Notes and Variations
- You can easily add more toppings like black olives, green peppers and keto fettuccine.
- You can make this in a casserole dish versus a large skillet.
If you like this Pizza Casserole recipe, you’ll love:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
- Grease your pan with the coconut oil and line with the strips of eggplant. You only want one layer of eggplant (you might have extra).
- Spread a light layer of pizza sauce over the eggplant and top this with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Next add all the Italian pork sausage and top with the rest of the mozzarella and half of the balance of the parmesan
- Spread a layer of marinara over it all and put in your oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Six minutes before the pizza is complete, take the pan out of the oven and cover with the rest of the parmesan. Garnish with Italian parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 1133mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g