How to Soak and Dehydrate Nuts

HOW TO SOAK NUTS

Ok, I mentioned that I was soaking nuts to see if it would help with my allergy to them and it has helped.   Soaking and dehydrating them allows me to enjoy them as a treat only.   Too many and I start to have issues.

So why does soaking help?  Nuts and seeds contain phytic acid which are the plants’ natural defense against being eaten by humans and animals.  They cause digestive issues. However, we can trick the seed to release these chemicals by soaking them.  I’m not going to get into the science of this so click the link if you want to learn more.    Soaking is super easy but you have to plan head (which is not always easy).

What you need

2 cups of nuts

1/2 tablespoon of sea salt

filtered water

HOW TO SOAK NUTS

Add your sea salt to a large bowl

HOW TO SOAK NUTS

Whisk the sea salt into a cup of water until it is completely dissolved.

HOW TO SOAK NUTS

Add the nuts and cover completely with the filtered water.  I like to cover the nuts with a good amount of water because some will double in size from soaking.   Cover with a plate and set in a warm place – like your oven with the light on.

HOW TO SOAK NUTS

I’ve let the nuts soak for 15 hours.  You can get away with this with most nuts except cashews which you will only want to soak  for 7 hours.

Notice how milky the water looks.  Each type of nut will leave a different kind of residue in the water.  I’m soaking some pecans as I type and the water is dark brown.

HOW TO SOAK NUTS

Drain the nuts and rinse them to get off all the residue.

HOW TO SOAK NUS

I have an Excalibur dehydrator so I dry them at 125 degrees for  12  hours or until crispy.  The longer you dry them the crispier they will get. If you have an oven, turn the oven to the lowest setting and dry for  12 hours until crispy.  I want to note that I have taken them out of the dehyrdator after 5 hours and while they are dry and edible, they are not super crispy like they are after 12 hours.

HOW TO SOAK NUTS

A before shot of the nuts going into the dehydrator.

how to soak nuts

The finished product!

1. Theresa October 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this! I’ve been wanting to soak nuts for awhile.

1. Kelly Bejelly October 25, 2012 at 9:03 am

I hope you try making some soon 😛 I usually make bigger batches but I can not have that many nuts around the house or I will EAT them.

2. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies October 25, 2012 at 7:47 am

Great tutorial! I’m going to have to get myself one of those dehydrators. Usually I do things in the oven and it’s a bit of a pain.

1. Kelly Bejelly October 25, 2012 at 9:08 am

I bought my dehydrator years ago when I was a raw vegan – yes I had a brief stint as raw vegan – and I don’t use it as much as I should. I can see you putting one to use!

3. Donna October 25, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I so need a dehydrator! And dehydrating nuts will be the first thing I do, thanks to your tutorial.

4. Jennifer October 25, 2012 at 5:57 pm

you make it look so easy. lol.

5. Penelope (NYC Blogger) October 26, 2012 at 5:13 am

I can’t believe nuts have a defensive system against being eaten….I never knew this!

6. Kathleen October 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Wow, never knew that about nuts. Who knew they felt the need to protect themselves LOL.

7. Courtney October 27, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Wow interesting! I can’t eat nuts but very cool! 🙂

8. Lolo October 28, 2012 at 12:20 am

That is great that there is an option for people that have issues eating nuts.

9. TerriAnn @ Cookies & Clogs October 28, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Well, you just taught me a new thing today 🙂 I’ll have to keep this in mind for friends that have similar allergies. I’m glad you can enjoy some nuts again!

10. Toni October 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I’ve always wondered how to do this. Thanks for sharing.

11. Heather November 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm

II had been soaking almonds for awhile, but then stopped when I was pregnant with my third child and now she is 8 months old and I am finally trying to get back to many things including this. I have had row almonds in my freezer downstairs for probably 2 years … would they still be good to soak and dehydrate?

1. Kelly Bejelly November 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm

The USDA states that most nuts are good for 9 – 12 months. I’ve heard that nuts can keep in the freezer for 2 – 3 years. I would pull out a pack and smell/taste check them after they have defrosted. You never know.

12. Jo November 12, 2012 at 1:35 pm

There’s been a furore here in Australia over activated nuts …a Sydney based chef trended on Twitter with his Activated Almonds and was branded a pretentious twat by the media and got a wrap from the nutritionist who “analysed” his diet. Check him out on FB at Pete Evans…if even just to see him in boardshorts! https://www.facebook.com/peteevanschef/app_422330817789381
    BTW…I’ve been soaking nuts and seeds for years and I always encourage others to do so to enhance digestibility. I look forward to more of your wonderful posts:)

1. Kelly Bejelly November 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Thanks for the link and the compliment 🙂

13. Billie November 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I don’t have any allergies that I know of, but I also don’t like many nuts other than peanuts.

14. Robin @ Mom Foodie December 6, 2012 at 5:49 am

It’s interesting how many plants are actually fighting back against us eating them. So glad I don’t have any nut allergies. I love me some nuts, like a chubby squirrel.

15. Maryann January 18, 2013 at 10:19 am

i have never done this. I have looked into it but haven’t done it.

16. kait February 19, 2014 at 11:11 pm

How long do the nuts keep after being soaked?

1. Kelly Bejelly February 20, 2014 at 10:13 am

If they are dried until crispy, I would say a month in a tightly closer container.

17. nikko April 15, 2014 at 2:19 am

I sprout my almonds and peel the skin off, they taste quite nice in that form. I will have to look into a dehydrator at some point.

1. Kelly Bejelly April 19, 2014 at 11:51 am

I love my dehydrator Nikko but it takes up a lot of space in my kitchen. I’ll have to try that next time.