Paleo Gingerbread Trifle

PALEO GINGERBREAD TRIFLE

First, holy smokes, this was a tough picture to take.  My delicious gingerbread cake decided to take a face plant on to the floor so I had half of the cake to work with for this  photo and the pudding kept getting everywhere.  I had to wipe the glass half a million times to get it to look this good and then after I got to this point I realized I should have just piped it in. Oh well, enough complaining 🙂  So, this is YUMMY! The Little took a bite of this and proceeded to spin around in three circles and then hopped in my lap and proceeded to eat all of my dish.   The ginger, lime and raspberries in the recipe make for a lovely flavor combination.

A couple of pointers, I used homemade coconut milk to make the pudding   It’s much thinner than canned coconut milk so if you go that route you will want to thin it to the consistency of cow milk.   I also used gelatin to get the pudding to set.

PALEO GINGERBREAD TRIFLE

Paleo Gingerbread Trifle

Course: Paleo Dessert
Prep Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours 20 minutes
Author: Kelly Bejelly

Gingerbread Cake

Vanilla Lime Pudding

1. To make the cake, combine the eggs, coconut flour, baking soda, spices, maple syrup, molasses and applesauce in small bowl and mix until you have a batter.
  2. Pour the batter in a greased 8" round cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25- 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  3. To make the pudding, combine your coconut milk, maple syrup and lime juice in a small sauce pan and warm. Remove from the cook top and mix in the gelatin. Place in a bowl and cover and let chill in the fridge overnight or until set. BTW - I used homemade coconut milk which is much thinner than canned coconut milk. I would say the consistency is of normal milk. You can either thin it or leave it as is
  4. When the pudding is set, take a hand mixer and blend for 1 -2 minutes until you get a smooth pudding-like consistency.
  5. Next layer the gingerbread cake, pudding and raspberries in a trifle dish until you run out of ingredients.
  6. Enjoy!

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

1. Billie December 18, 2012 at 11:59 am

Yum sounds delicious. And the picture looks great even though it took awhile!

2. Maryann December 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm

that looks really yummy!!

3. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies December 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks absolutely amazing! I have a big soft spot for pudding and paired with gingerbread cake–so perfect!

1. Kelly Bejelly December 19, 2012 at 11:57 am

This picture kinda drives me crazy as it isn’t as perfect as I would like – oh well. It tasted amazing so that’s what matters in the end.

4. Donna December 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Yummy! And it looks so pretty, too.

1. Kelly Bejelly December 19, 2012 at 11:55 am

Thanks Liz. The lime is such a refreshing bite in the mix.

5. Mellisa December 18, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I love seeing all of your recipes, this one looks divine.

6. Alison December 19, 2012 at 4:19 am

Oh wow this looks amazing!!!

7. HilLesha December 19, 2012 at 11:08 am

That looks delish!

8. Karen S. December 19, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Wow!!! Your recipes look amazing!!! I am new to the Paleo way of eating,just beginning to get into it.
    I have Celiac and have to eat gluten free, I also have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Just
    eating gluten free hasnt helped my health, so I have been checking into the Paleo diet, I have to say that your site and your recipes have inspired me to take the plunge and begin eating the Paleo way. Keep up that fantastic recipes and advice, they are a huge help!!!!

1. Kelly Bejelly December 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Oh my gosh, Karen thank you so much! You really made my week and I wish you the best on your diet 🙂

9. Amy December 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hey I made this recipe and the amounts for the pudding seem wrong. I didn’t have near enough pudding to make it like your picture. Did you double? Also, my gingerbread was a much darker color. I wondered if it needed some more coconut flour. And thirdly, you left the raspberries off the ingredient list but luckily I made it early and then went back to the store for something else. I thought you might want to edit it for future users. 🙂 Looking forward to trying it tonight with my family. Blessings!

1. Kelly Bejelly December 25, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Goodness Anne, Thanks so much for pointing this out and I hope that it worked out for you. I didn’t have to double my pudding recipe because I only had half of the cake to work with since it fell on the floor. I’ll update it to share to double the recipe. The cake was really dark so I wouldn’t worry about the color.

10. Maureen secombe November 30, 2013 at 5:05 pm

This trifle looks good.I love trifles but cannot find a Paleo friendly one.Have you updated the recipe yet, if not when do you add the Raspberries.
    Thanks
    Maureen

1. Kelly Bejelly November 30, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Maureen, thanks so much for your comment! I just updated the recipe 🙂

11. Sandra December 14, 2013 at 10:31 am

Hi, how long after making will this keep?

1. Kelly Bejelly December 14, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I would say 3 days. The cake will get soggy it sits too long.

12. Sharyl December 15, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I am in the process of making for a party tomorrow night (cake in oven) and I just made the pudding part. I used a 32 oz box of coconut milk– and it looks seperated. It doesn’t taste curdled. It tastes good. Will it “set up” and be ok once I get to whipping it tomorrow afternoon before the gathering. Trying to prepare so I can adjust in the afternoon. Thoughts???

1. Kelly Bejelly December 15, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I would think that whipping it would get it to gel. Also, if you just made it the gelatin needs to “kick” and that will help the consistency.

13. Carol December 25, 2013 at 6:14 pm

FOR CHRISTMAS DESSERT MADE THE PUDDING PART AS THE RECIPE STATED, BUT USED STORE BOUGHT GLUTEN FREE GINGERBREAD COOKIES IN THE LAYERS ALONG WITH A COMBINATION OF RASPBERRIES AND BLUEBERRIES. WHEN WE FIRST MADE THE PUDDING THE LIME FLAVOUR WAS REALLY PREDOMINANT, BUT ONCE SET AND MIXED INTO TRIFLE WITH OTHER FLAVOURS COULD JUST SAY THERE WAS A CITRUS TASTE. LOVE THAT GELATIN IS USED TO INCREASE THE PROTEIN CONTENT. I WILL DEFINITELY REQUEST THIS AGAIN FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION DESSERT.

1. Kelly Bejelly December 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it Carol.

14. Mary December 12, 2015 at 9:08 am

Absolutely beautiful! I made the cake and the cream last night, put it together this morning, and intend to share at a party tonight! I did leave a scoop behind for me to taste test and savor and I must say, it was delicious! I used canned full fat coconut milk and after setting up, it was quite thick. But the crowd tonight is big on sweets, so I added a couple more Tbsp. maple syrup and after mixing with a mixer for about 4-5 minutes, it was perfect! Thanks Kelly! It’s been a long time since I’ve made this kind of dessert for entertaining. Would love to send you a picture!

15. Rebecca December 20, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Hi! I just made the cake part in advance for Christmas, but just noticed in the comments that it will only keep for 3 days. Oops! Do you think I could try freezing it and taking it out either Xmas eve or Xmas day? Thanks! Of course my kids want to eat the cake now 😉 Wish I had time to make another but I was trying to get as much done in advance as possible.

1. Kelly Bejelly December 20, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Yes, you can freeze the cake. The pudding isn’t freesable 🙁