These classic Paleo Cinnamon Rolls are not only sweet and creamy but have a delicious, gooey white frosting that is heavenly! Finding a healthier version of my Paleo Cinnamon Rolls has been a passion for me and these are sensational!
Why this Paleo Cinnamon Roll recipe works:
This is my second Paleo Cinnamon roll recipe and by far the absolute closest to the real deal. While I was eating this I kept thinking I was eating wheat. I’ve also made Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls so this was a huge revelation for me!
I’m not kidding you.
You will be able to fool the most hardcore anti-Paleo, grain eating person with this recipe.
It’s all in the Tapioca Flour!
Y’all stop messing about and pick some up. This is such a strange flour as it can be somewhat spongy before the baking process but it really makes the most “bread-like” recipes I have found.
What you’ll need:
For the Filling:
- Unsweetened Flaked coconut
- Chopped Nuts
- B grade Maple Syrup or honey
- Ground Cinnamon Powder
For the Frosting
How to make Paleo Cinnamon Rolls:
You will want to start with the dough. Place the coconut oil, water, sea salt, maple syrup/honey in a pan and bring to a boil for 30 seconds. Remove from the stove and add the Tapioca flour and stir with a spoon until you have a sticky dough. Let this cool for a few minutes and add the coconut flour and egg.
Mix with a spoon until you have a soft dough. Remove from the pan and knead for about a minute on a piece of parchment paper. Place the second piece of parchment paper on top and roll the dough into a 7″ x 11″ rectangle that is 1/4″ thick.
For the filling, combine the maple syrup/honey, cinnamon, and water in a small bowl. Add in the coconut flakes, nuts, and raisins, and mix until well coated. Spoon this filling onto the dough, leaving about 1/2″ board around the sides.
Roll the dough into a log and lightly press to pinch the seam. Cut 1/4″ off the ends and slice into 1″ pieces. Place the slices and ends flat side down on parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
While the dough is baking, you’ll make the frosting. Mix the palm shortening, coconut milk, maple syrup and cinnamon with a hand blender.
Remove the rolls from the oven and let cool. Spread the frosting on top and enjoy!
If you like this Paleo Cinnamon Rolls recipe, you’ll love:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below and make sure to share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
I would consider this recipe to be an advanced cooking level recipe.
I have had numerous people try this Paleo Cinnamon Rolls recipe and it has been hit or miss. Some people can make this recipe as is and it comes out perfectly. Some need to add more tapioca flour to get it to work. Some need to use a food processor or a kitchen stand mixer to get the dough to come out.
There are a lot of factors that go into baking this recipe
- Your Oven
- Your altitude and humidity and possibly even the flour you are using. I only use Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour in all of my baking.
Another tip: Read through the comments to see what others have done!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoon maple syrup, or honey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 Tablespoon B grade maple syrup, or honey
- 2 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon powder
- Place the coconut oil, water and sea salt, maple syrup/honey in a small pan and bring to a boil. Let boil for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the stove and add the tapioca flour into the pan and mix with a spoon until you have a sticky dough.
- Let this cool for 3- 4 minutes and then add in the coconut flour and egg.
- Mix with a spoon until you have a soft dough and then remove from the pan and place on a piece of parchment paper. Knead for 1 minute.
- Place the second piece of parchment paper over the top and then roll the dough into roughly a 7" x 11" rectangle that is 1/4 thick.
- For the filling combine the maple syrup/honey, cinnamon, and water in a small bowl. Toss in the coconut flakes, nuts, and raisins until well coated.
- Spoon this mixture evenly over the dough leaving a 1/2" board from the sides.
- Now roll the dough into a log and lightly press to pinch the seam.
- Cut 1/4" off the ends of and then slice into 1" pieces.
- Place the slices and ends flat side down on to a piece of parchment paper and bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes.
- For the frosting mix the palm shortening, coconut milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon with a hand blender.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven and let cool for 3 - 5 minutes. Frost with the frosting and enjoy!!
Please read the post and comments to see the best way to create this recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 569 Total Fat: 39g Saturated Fat: 25g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 219mg Carbohydrates: 53g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 27g Protein: 5g
I am currently working on a video tutorial and will update with the link when it is finished. Until then, please watch my Paleo Soft Pretzels recipe video as the technique is very similar.
If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below — I’ll walk you through it!
© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.