Grain free Mac and Cheese

Paleo Mac and Cheese

Mac and Cheese is one of the things I miss on the Paleo diet.    There is nothing more comforting and reminds me more of home than this dish so I knew I had to come up with a recipe.

Now, Mr. Bejelly is picky and a texture person.  He will not eat anything that is soft so I could not use cauliflower.  I decided to try out Jicama in this grain free mac and cheese  and it really gives this dish a sweet crispy texture that can’t be beat and works well with all the dairy in this recipe.

Grain Free Paleo Mac and Cheese

This reheats wonderfully and the smell is just heavenly when it’s baking away in your oven (Seriously it will make your house smell like a big hug).  Even with Spring approaching the smell just took me back to Fall.  I hope you like it!

Grain Free Paleo Mac and Cheese

Grain free Mac and Cheese

Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Calories: 627 kcal

• 1/2 cup creme fraiche
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 lb Jicama cut into 1/4 x 1/4 x 1 pieces
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 3 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded

1. In a medium bowl add the creme fraiche,heavy cream, sea salt, black pepper and yellow mustard.

2. Mix until combined.
  3. Next add in the onion and jicama and coat well.
  4. Lastly add in the shredded cheese and combine until well blended.
  5. Scoop the mixture into a small greased baking pan and bake in your oven at 350 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes.
Nutrition Facts
Sugars 3g
Protein 25g 50%
Vitamin A 34.1%
Vitamin C 29.6%
Calcium 69.2%
Iron 7.6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

1. Courtney from "The Life & Food of Mrs.Curly Girl" March 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

How delicious does this look!?!? I made a cheesy bacon and cauliflower skillet not too long ago to satisfy a mac & cheese craving, but the jicama looks like it would be a fantastic variation!

2. Jenn March 4, 2013 at 1:48 pm

It can be done! Hubs will be excited.

3. Linda B March 4, 2013 at 4:40 pm

my comfort food! I love mac and cheese and so does my oldest!

4. Robin Gagnon {Mom Foodie} March 4, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Looks good. Could you do some sort of a gnocchi & cheese? That might be good, but Mr. Bejelly might not be keen on it.

5. Lisa March 4, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Yum!

6. Donna March 5, 2013 at 7:37 am

That looks so good! My son’s favorite food is mac & cheese, so it’s nice to know that it can be done paleo.

7. LyndaS March 5, 2013 at 8:03 am

That looks great!

8. Aimeee March 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm

This looks awesome. I can’t find jicama around here. What can I sub for it?

1. Kelly Bejelly March 5, 2013 at 9:22 pm

You could try turnips or parsnips. I’m not sure how it would turn out though.

9. claire traas March 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Technically, it’s a jicama gratin.

10. Tammy March 5, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I think this is a great idea for people who need or want to go grain-free.

11. Mellisa March 5, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Love Mac and Cheese! I think this looks better than the old Southern kind my mom used to make.

12. Marcie W. March 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Love the idea of using jicama! We have had something similar using spaghetti squash.

13. Courtney March 6, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I wonder if this would be a better alternative with my high cholesterol since it has cheese? Looks delish as always 🙂

14. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies March 8, 2013 at 8:43 am

Jicama in mac & cheese?! That is such an awesome idea. You are so creative when it comes to remaking recipes into paleo versions!

1. Kelly Bejelly March 8, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Aw, thanks. I also have to work around my husbands taste buds too. I would totally have made this with spaghetti squash instead, lol. The jicama is awesome though with it’s sweet, crispy taste.

15. Lauren March 20, 2013 at 6:51 pm

What a cool idea! I just recently saw jicama used as a ‘cream of wheat’ substitute. I’ve only ever had it raw, so I will have to give this a try! 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly March 21, 2013 at 9:00 am

Wow, I never would have thought to use it as a cream of wheat sub – really nifty idea. I hope you like it Lauren 🙂

16. Eugenia March 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm

So, I made this tonight, thank you for the recipe. The cheese sauce was absolutely perfect, but the jicama was way too hard/crunchy. I believe that this recipe could reach its potential when we first boil the jicama, then bake it alone (to remove the water), let it cool a bit, and only then add it to the recipe. Next time I do it, I intend to first cook the jicama first.

BTW, I also added some shelled langostino in there (from Trader Joe’s), and these were actually very, very good. Much better than shrimp and they fit perfectly in this recipe!

1. Kelly Bejelly March 21, 2013 at 8:59 am

Aw, lazy tip, you could also throw the Jicama in a crock pot in the morning so you can bake it later that night. My husband does not do soft and mushy veggies so to get him to eat it, it has to be crunchy 🙂 Langostino sounds like an amazing addition and I’m going to try that next time I make this 🙂

17. LyndaS July 18, 2013 at 6:41 am

I don’t think I have ever had jicama. I need to try this out.

18. Sarah February 8, 2015 at 3:41 pm

I didn’t think this tasted anything like Mac and cheese. Instead it reminded me of cheesy potatoes! Really good nonetheless. Would go perfectly with eggs in the morning or as a side dish with dinner.

1. Kelly Bejelly February 24, 2015 at 9:23 am

Yum! I’m going to try that next time Sarah!

19. John T February 25, 2017 at 6:20 am

I just made this and it was fantastic! One thing that turned my kids off though was the separating of the oil. Do you have any suggestions as to how to keep the cheese sauce “together”?

1. Kelly Bejelly April 10, 2017 at 10:13 am

I would pour off the oil hun. You can try an aged cheese since younger cheese has this issue.

20. Kim October 27, 2017 at 8:27 am

What the nutritional information?