Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies

Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies

Looking for the Best Paleo chocolate chip cookies?  This is one of the recipes from my ebook  A Moment of Sweetness (Out of Print).   When I was fussing about in kitchen I was intrigued by the idea of adding sweet potato to this recipe and it seriously turned it from ok to AMAZING. Yest, I had to put that in all bold because that is the only way I can share how darn good these are.

I won’t lie, I ate the entire first batch all by myself.  I hid them from my husband and kiddo, how crazy is that?    When Mr. Bejelly and Little finally got a taste – of  batch number 2 –  he asked me not to eat them all.

At least I didn’t break that promise.

paleo chocolate chip cookie

Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies

Course: Paleo Dessert

1. In a bowl combine the sifted coconut flour, salt and baking soda.
  2. In a separate bowl mix the mashed white sweet potato, eggs, palm shortening, vanilla, molasses and maple syrup.
  3. Mix until well blended and then add the coconut flour mixture to it and mix thoroughly.
  4. Lastly add in the chocolate chips.
  5. Roll into walnut size balls and set on your Siplat.
  6. Press the cookies with a small glass and then bake in your oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

1. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 3, 2013 at 10:39 am

HA at hiding the cookies from your husband and son! Oh man, there are times when I want to do that too…

1. Kelly Bejelly April 4, 2013 at 9:52 am

Unfortunately, it’s not the first time. Gah!

2. Aimee April 4, 2013 at 5:34 am

Is there a sub for palm shortening? Butter?

3. robyn April 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I’m assuming the sweet potato is cooked, then mashed. Does it matter how you cook it – ie does boiling in water end up with too much liquid in the cookie – or maybe it doesn’t matter?

1. Kelly Bejelly April 6, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I boiled the sweet potatoes and had no issues with extra water. I don’t have a microwave, lol.

4. Nessa April 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm

So, I was a bit skeptical when I saw 1/2 cup of coconut flour and only two eggs in the recipe, but I hoped the sweet potatoes would keep the cookies from being dry and crumbly, as can happen with coconut flour. Why did I ever doubt you? These cookies were the perfect amount of sweet and moist. I did replace the shortening with melted butter (didn’t know if it was to be melted or not), and these were AWESOME. You have yet to let me (or, more to the point, my husband who I am generally baking sweets for) down. His response: “That’s a pretty solid cookie.” Ha! Thanks yet again!

1. Nessa April 16, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I know I’ve already commented on these, but I had to share this story. Yesterday evening, as I was sitting on the couch reading, my husband walked over to me and said, “You know what the best part of this weekend was?”

Confused, since our weekend had been pretty boring, I asked, “What?”

His reply: “Cookies. We had cookies. We need more cookies.”

He was, of course, referencing these cookies. I’m afraid you’ve created a monster with this one. Haha.

1. Kelly Bejelly April 17, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Ha! Cookies do make weekend so much sweeter right? 😛 I am so glad that you and your hubby liked them!

5. Sophia April 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Kelly,

I made these cookies today using butter and honey. YUMMMIEEE!!!

Thanks a mil. Love your website!

1. Kelly Bejelly April 26, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Sophia! I wasn’t joking when I mentioned eating a entire batch, lol.

6. LyndaS April 30, 2013 at 11:45 am

Girl – you are amazing at creating paleo recipes. Who would have thought you could have cookies?

1. Kelly Bejelly May 1, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Ha! There is a lot of desserts you can do on the Paleo diet 🙂 I seriously am contemplating making a Paleo fried ice cream after seeing your photos 🙂

7. HilLesha July 5, 2013 at 3:53 pm

They look pretty darn tasty!

8. Vanessa September 14, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I replaced the sweet potato with pumpkin and added an extra tablespoon of maple syrup and a tsp of pumpkin pie spice. Hello, pumpkin cookies!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm

That sounds like a delicious cookie!! Thanks for sharing Vanessa 🙂

9. mom2one01 October 7, 2013 at 4:22 pm

This looks like the “mother” of ALL paleo chocolate chip cookies! 😀 Can’t wait to try! Could you use a regular sweet potato? And, OH please create a fried ice-cream!!!! 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly October 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I like how you think! I’ll work on a fried ice cream recipe 🙂 Yes, you can replace it with regular sweet potatoes 🙂

10. Joanna October 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm

These cookies have a great flavor!! I actually prefer these to regular almond flour choc chip recipes that you see. The result was a soft cookie, not crisp or chewy (so good if that’s what you are after!). I made them with white sweet potato and then regular orange sweet potato, both great, the latter had quite an orange colour to them (unsurprisingly). Definitely making again

11. Helena April 15, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I used melted butter and canned sweet potato puree and they turned out great, thanks! I haven’t had very much luck with paleo baking recipes so this was my last ditch effort, glad I tried!

1. Kelly Bejelly April 19, 2014 at 11:51 am

Yeah! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed them Helena!