July 15, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

Easy Paleo Chocolate Ice Cream

If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I lucked out and found a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker for $29 at Marshall’s.  Yeah, I squealed with happiness and snatched that thing off the shelf faster than the Little attacks a bowl of grapes – which is fast  I tell you.  Anyhow, I seriously cannot remember the last time I had ice cream, which is sad because I have wanted to dig into a bowl for the last couple months.

Paleo Chocolate Ice Cream

Now, I wanted to start the kick-off of my first ice cream recipe by sharing something super easy that takes less than 5 minutes to blend up and only 15 minutes to freeze.   We love this recipe and thankfully, I had some Non-Paleo friends visiting and they were able to try it.  They loved it and asked for seconds.

Easy Paleo Chocolate Ice Cream

Easy Paleo Chocolate Ice Cream

1. In a blender add the full fat coconut milk, bananas and cacao powder. Blend until smooth and thoroughly mixed. Taste it. If you'd like it sweeter add the maple syrup.
  2. Place in your ice cream maker and churn for 15 minutes or until done.
  3. Enjoy!

paleo chocolate ice cream that is also vegan

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: A Girl Worth Saving may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I only recommend products that I wholeheartedly believe to be valuable or that I use myself. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• July 15, 2013 at 10:29 am

Looks yummy and what a deal at $29 bucks that would be fun to have.

• July 15, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Is there a way to make it without banana? Hubs is dairy-free and misses his ice cream but he can’t stand banana. He’s so weird.

• July 15, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Let me work on something this week and if it works, I’ll post it next Monday!

• dwayne
      August 31, 2014 at 11:26 pm

How about peanut butter?

• September 1, 2014 at 3:31 pm

It’s not paleo but you can easily add peanut butter chunks to this.

• July 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm

coconut milk, bananas and cocoa powder DELICIOUS!!!!!!

• July 15, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Oh my gosh, Kelly! I can NOT believe your luck and I am jealous of that bowl of ice cream. Chocolate ice cream is one of my favorite things evah.

• July 15, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Your photos are so beautiful! Makes me wish I did not sell our ice cream maker at a yard sale!

• Sheryl
    July 16, 2013 at 4:40 am

This sounds amazing! Is there anyway to do it without the ice cream maker?

• July 16, 2013 at 10:21 am

You could pour it into a container with a lid and freeze overnight – don’t mess with it. Then the next day, let it thaw slightly – it will be pretty firm – and enjoy!

• July 16, 2013 at 7:45 am

Well, you had me at chocolate! 🙂

• July 21, 2013 at 2:25 am

I’m guessing to die for? It looks yummy!

• July 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm

The color is just rocking, huh:) I hope you like it. So easy and we tore it up, lol.

• July 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Nice! The ice cream looks delicious.

• July 17, 2013 at 3:30 am

Yum! I need an ice cream maker, desperately!

• TIna
    July 17, 2013 at 4:29 am

This one sounds delicious… I’ve made mij own stracciatella last week. Just 1 can (400 ml) of coconut milk, 1/3 core of a vanillabean and agave syrup ( or other) about 30 ml.
    In the ice-creammaker and after 10 minutes add chocolate pieces ( drops or crushed bar) to the amount you like. I added about 20/25 grams. It was heaven.. you do taste the coconut a it, but that makes it more tropical i think..

• July 17, 2013 at 6:34 am

Ice cream is such a “go overboard” food for me that it is probably best I don’t own an ice cream maker. I do love that your recipe is so easy and, of course, you can never go wrong with chocolate!

• July 17, 2013 at 11:38 am

I wish you were my neighbor…We could hang out and have fun eating ice cream, and trying out recipes together 🙂 This looks awesome!

• July 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm

That would be so cool! I’d love to be your neighbor 🙂 Thanks for your compliment too. It’s so easy to make and just lovely.

• July 18, 2013 at 5:03 am

That looks awesome!

• July 18, 2013 at 6:55 am

Ahhhh, I just got rid of my ice cream maker because it was way too heavy to move (I had a commercial one) and I had no room to put it. Now I want one. I’m totally going to check out Marshall’s to see if I can snag such a great deal too!

• July 18, 2013 at 11:48 am

Oh gosh this looks so creamy and delicious!

• July 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I wonder if I could substitute coconut cream for the milk? I just found it at TJ’s and I’m dying to use it in something. I have all the other ingredients so this will be made tomorrow, that’s for sure!

• July 21, 2013 at 9:12 pm

This looks heavenly!

• Jennifer
    September 3, 2013 at 9:29 am

“I lucked out and found a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker for $29 at Marshall’s.”

Wow, I hate you right now. But I’m keeping this recipe for later anyway!

• September 3, 2013 at 9:33 am

Ha! I’m sending you deal finding luck 🙂

• kez
        October 21, 2013 at 12:17 am

I churned for 15 mins but still running and then 20 mins and still runny, so I had to put it in the freezer for few hours and still not the hardest. My friend did the same and hers is not going hard consistency either. I was hoping it was something you could churn and then eat straight away? It is delicious though.

• October 21, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Kez, did you use low fat coconut milk by chance? I’ve never had an issue with this recipe not getting to the ice cream state.

• corrina
    May 12, 2014 at 7:17 pm

This looks great. I’m totally shopping around for an ice cream maker now. Just one question. Do you taste the bananas in the ice cream? I love the idea of chocolate ice cream, but am leery of the bananas. Thanks!

• May 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I don’t! There is a lot of cacoa in it 🙂

• corrina
        May 14, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Awesome! Thanks!!

• saddie
    May 21, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Looks great and so easy too. I am going to try it now. Do u think I could use honey instead of maple syrup?

• May 21, 2014 at 5:01 pm

That would work perfectly well Saddie!

• Julia
    July 12, 2014 at 11:25 am

I made this three times now, used stevia. Once made it ss your recipe, next time added fresh cherries and last time I added strawberries. Oh, and I dont have a ice cream maker, i left it overnight in the freezer, couldnt get my spoon in it lol. Left it out for about an hour on the counter, jeez that was hard to do. It was delicious all ways and so quick and easy. We all loved it

• July 13, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Awesome sauce and thanks for sharing Julia. It would be so hard to wait!

• jordan
    December 5, 2014 at 1:49 pm

This recipe sounds yummy. My husband, however, is allergic to bananas. Is there a reason you use them and how about a substitute?

• December 8, 2014 at 10:49 am

You could try mashed sweet potatoes or just skip it hun.

• Francine
        September 12, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I tried without the bananas (also an allergy) and it didn’t set up. Used full fat coconut milk from Thai kitchen.

• November 13, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Hrmm… perhaps if you used sweet potato?

• Rebecca
    January 17, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Trying to make Paleo ice cream is full fat coconut milk ideal as the base?

And I was trying to make something to mix in a protein shake any chance or idea how to mix in flavored protein powder?

Thanks! Recipe looks great I’ll be trying it soon!

• January 18, 2015 at 5:43 pm

I really try to limit my intake of nuts since I have reactions to them. Full fat coconut milk will set up correctly and I don’t see why you couldn’t add protein powder to this. It shouldn’t cause any issues.

• June Wood
    February 1, 2015 at 8:39 am

You mention maple syrup. That would be pure maple syrup right? Not a store knock off that has high fructose corn syrup?

Cacao powder as in not cocoa powder? What is the difference here?

Also, I have seen cans of coconut milk but also half gallon cartons that labeled ‘beverage’. What is the difference? I am new to paleo.

Thank you for your help. June

• February 3, 2015 at 9:03 am

Hi June, yes, I use B grade maple syrup and if you look at the cocoa powder in the store, it’s made from cacao beans. I know that Cacao powder is less processed. The coconut beverage is a dairy-milk substitute. I wouldn’t use it for a recipe unless it called for regular milk. Coconut milk us very thick and rich and if the recipe create has called for it, use it. I hope that helps.

• Corinne M.
    July 13, 2015 at 3:05 pm

can you make it without an ice cream maker? If so, how?

• September 10, 2015 at 11:24 am

I think you can freezer it and then process it in your blender or food processor hun.

• Ashley
    July 28, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Just made this, and it is awesome! I added some chopped up peanut butter cups (which are obviously not dairy or sugar free, but hey…), and it was perfect!

• Rj
    May 4, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Thank you from the bottom of my cold paleo chocolate banana heart, this was wonderful and soothed my cravings for ice cream. Great workout recovery foods, if you ask me. Again, thanks so much!

• Patti A
        July 7, 2016 at 11:03 am

In the fridge chilling before the ice cream maker. So yummy tasting! I shaved a square of 85% cocoa bar and added about 3 heaping tablespoons of crunchy almond butter! Can’t wait until later1! Thank you!

• November 14, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Dang! Love what you did! Sounds amazing!

• Marije
    May 25, 2017 at 7:16 am

I altered the recipe just a little bit, but
    God, this must be one of the best things I’ve ever tasted
    Instead of using a sweetener like honey or syrup, I decided to caramelize the bananas. This makes the bananas both easier to digest, and sweeter since the complex carbs turn into sugars :D. I also used melted cocoa liquor instead of the powder, which in my opinion gives it a richer and chocolaty’er taste. Also, I don’t mind a coconut taste in chocolate recipes, but with this one I could barely taste the coconut, which was a good thing to me :D. I think I ám gonna experiment with adding fat ingredients, or gelatin, just to make the ice cream a bit more creamy, I’ll update you on that one!

• May 29, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Caramelized bananas sound AMAZING in this!! So yummy. Glad it worked out hun.