August 8, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

How to make Ghee

I love Ghee. I love how easy it is to make Ghee and well, I like to make it fast. First, wait, let me back up. What is ghee? It’s clarified butter so you are removing the milk solids and water from the butter leaving you with pure butter oil. It’s has an incredibly long shelf life and needs no refrigeration. Simply put it’s awesome to cook with and most of the time when you see it, it’s a golden blond color. Myself, I like it more of a caramel color as the hazelnut finishes are stronger and more developed. Now, the first time I made it this way, I wasn’t paying attention and thought I had made a major mistake. However, when I tasted it, I realized that I love it even more this way. It is not for everyone though so I’ve listed when to pull it if you don’t want yours as browned.

How to make Ghee

You’ll need 1 pound of butter and either a coffee filter, paper towel or cheesecloth. Using cheesecloth will be much quicker than a coffee filter. Also, I’ve gotten feedback that some people have had issues with their coffee filter taking FOREVER to strain so just USE Cheesecloth.

How to make Ghee

Place your butter in pan over medium heat. Now, I’m cooking this rather high because I want to be done. You could put this in a crock pot for 3 -4 hours if you want. Now cooking this fast means no walking away. No chatting on Facebook or Twitter. You have to pay attention the entire time.

How to make Ghee

The butter will be very active and bubbly. This was 5 minutes into cooking.

How to make Ghee

Notice how the milk solids have formed a ring around the oil. All the solids are now at the top. If you want your ghee to have that glorious blond color, it’s done. It’s been 10 minutes of cooking time. If you’re still not sure it’s the right time look at the photo below. If you see this expansion, it’s done and pull it immediately.

How to make Ghee

Now, if you want it darker, the mix is going to expand a bit and it will be much quieter. Let it cook for 3 more minutes and pull it from the stove.
How to make Ghee

After the foam settles you’ll have this. A rich, caramel ghee.

How to make Ghee

Now comes the fun time. Strain through a paper towel or cheesecloth into a pint jar and seal.

How to make Ghee

Use liberally!

• August 8, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I’ve seen this used on cooking shows all the time but I had no idea how they made It or if I could buy it. This LOOKS super simple (although I’m sure it’s not for a first timer) but honestly, I don’t actually know of any recipe that calls for it.

• August 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Jennifer, you can use it in place of any oil required in any recipe 🙂

• Felicia
    August 8, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I love your site and use your recipes regularly. I appreciate pictures of the ghee making method and the lighter and darker alternatives.

The only negative I have when I’m at your site…that blasted rectangular sharing bar that floats in the middle of the page. It blocks the top half of my screen from reading. Does the Pin It-Tweet-It-Google+ It-Stumble Upon It bar have to be slap dab in the middle of the page? Can I move it? It’s as annoying as flies in the kitchen when I’m trying to cook. I just want the dang thing gone.

• August 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Hrmm. . . I’m trying to figure out the best share button for my site so thanks for letting me know that it’s blocking content! Thanks for the comment Felicia!

• August 8, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I have never heard of Ghee before. So do you just use it for everything that calls for butter?

• August 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Yep, anything thing that calls for butter, olive oil, etc 🙂

• August 9, 2013 at 8:29 am

oh wow.. I didn’t know we can make ghee at home!!

• August 9, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Thank you so much! Maybe the deep dark honey colored ghee I made for the first time wasn’t ruined! OMG! I threw it away thinking I had blown it…thought it was burned! Next time I will start with the blonde version and then work up to darker shades in subsequent versions.

• August 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Hi Deidre! I was seriously thinking about you hun so I’m glad you commented. Yep, it probably wasn’t burnt. Now you can burn Ghee and trust me, it will taste terrible too. If it’s brown and it still tastes like hazelnut it’s fine!

• August 9, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I’ve heard of it, but never seen instructions for making it.

If I substitute it for butter or oil, do I use the exact same amount?

• August 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I had no idea it was so easy to make. That settles it. I am doing this. Thanks!

• August 12, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I love ghee, although I don’t usually brown it as much.
    I fell in love with it when living in Leeds (UK) – it is used a LOT in Indian food, we livied in a predominantly Indian/Pakistani area of the city and ate a LOT of curries!
    Unfortunately it is all but impossible to by real grass-fed butter in Canada (even the Kerrygold sold here is not grassfed – not sure why, I suspect for political reasons, the same as it is impossible to buy raw dairy in any form). So I just use the best quality organic butter I can find when I make it.

• August 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Wow, that’s crazy. I had no idea that Canada was so restrictive in terms of buying grass-fed dairy or raw. Lord, my husband would cry a river (or just plain move) if he couldn’t get his raw milk.

• Jill
    September 5, 2013 at 7:58 am

Once you make the ghee does it have to be refrigerated?

• September 5, 2013 at 8:15 am

Nope, you can leave it out on your counter 🙂

• Jill
        September 5, 2013 at 8:32 am

Does it go bad? Also I strained mine more than once…because it wouldn’t go through the coffee filter that I had.. and so if the milk fat gets in there is that ok?

• September 5, 2013 at 9:32 am

The milk solids will make it go bad so you don’t want them in there. Cheesecloth works great and so do paper towels.

• Sarah
    January 2, 2016 at 4:32 pm

I just tried to make this twice and both times I got the active bubbles, then the solid came to the top but then it didn’t foam again it just started to burn 🙁 Am I doing something wrong? This was happening at the 5 minutes mark…

• January 18, 2016 at 10:20 am

You might want to cook this on lower heat Sarah. It sound like your heat is too high so it’s skipping a step.

• Tiff
        April 28, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Kelly,
        You mentioned doing this in a slow cooker. Would it be on low & how long should I let it go? Thanks for posting this, I am so excited to try it!

• May 2, 2016 at 8:51 am

I would make it when you are home hun. You would cook it on high for 2.5 hours and low for 1.5 hours.

• Linda G
    January 23, 2016 at 11:24 am

None of the Ghee recipes indicate if you should stir the butter as it cooks. Can you answer this? Also, mine always turns light as it cools in the cabinet. Is that still ghee???

• June 19, 2016 at 3:06 pm

I never stir it and yes, that’s ghee hun

• Amanda
    September 3, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Hi Kelly, this looks easy and I’ve love to try it. Can I use salted organic butter?
    Thanks