Fried Green Tomatoes

paleo fried green tomatoes

I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen the movie Fried Green Tomatoes 100 times, but before today, only had the dish once.  My mom considers tomatoes only fit for salsa or spaghetti sauce so it’s no wonder that this dish never graced our table when I was young.

paleo fried green tomatoes

Anyhow, I was bumping around a new market and saw these and immediately thought, OK I have to try to make fried green tomatoes.   Look at these babies, they are just begging to get eaten.

paleo fried green tomatoes

This recipe is super simple.  Batter and fry and you’ve got a tasty side dish for dinner.  They cook up quick and man are they good with hot sauce.  Now, if you want to kick it up a notch you can add a second coating of crushed pork rinds before you fry them.

paleo fried green tomatoes

paleo fried green tomatoes

Fried Green Tomatoes

Course: Side Dish

1. Put the coconut oil in your pan and warm.
  2. Crack the egg into a bowl and add the water. Whisk and set aside
  3. Combine the tapioca flour, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper and place the mixture on a plate.
  4. Take the slices of tomato and dip it into the egg wash.
  5. Then coat it with the tapioca mixture.
  6. Place the slices in your hot oil and fry for 5 minutes or until the coating starts to brown. Flip and repeat.

paleo fried green tomatoes

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website

1. Kim @ What's That Smell? September 13, 2013 at 10:41 am

I love tomatoes but have always been afraid of green ones LOL. I might have to try these!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 13, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Kim, they are so good! Also, a great way to use up those garden tomatoes that never ripen 🙂

2. Dianna @ oyveyaday September 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I am from the land of fried green tomatoes, and I have never even tried them. How is that possible? Maybe I will just have to make my very own.

3. robyn September 13, 2013 at 7:03 pm

oh golly! I order these in restaurants a lot but have never made them before. Gonna give them a try!

4. Salixisme September 14, 2013 at 7:48 am

These look good. And I love the pork-rind suggestion. I may have to try that on other fried foods as well…

5. Meghan @JaMonkey September 15, 2013 at 4:36 pm

They look just like regular ones. I LOVE fried green tomatoes!

6. Kira September 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Real life fried green tomatoes, I can’t say I’ve had them before but your look so delicious and tempting.

7. Katie September 15, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Fried Green Tomatoes is a favorite of my husband’s but I’ve actually never had them.

8. Kait September 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I’ve always wanted to try these ever since seeing the movie years ago!!

9. debra p September 15, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Being from New England, I never tried these until I lived in Alabama for a while! But then I fell in love with the food: hush puppies, banana pudding, catfish, fried green tomatoes. Yum!

10. Rachel September 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Yum, Yum, Yum. I had a BLT with fried green tomatoes once and it was incredible. I need to try to recreate it at home.

11. Ty @ Mama of 3 Munchkins September 15, 2013 at 10:59 pm

OMG!! I haven’t have friend green tomatoes since I was a little girl. My dad use to make these all the time. I think I may make some of these this weekend to see how my kids like them. Thanks!

12. Shell Feis September 15, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a green tomato!

13. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell September 16, 2013 at 8:07 am

Clearly I’m meant to eat these soon because my daughter tempted me when she tried them on our recent vacay and now you’re tempting me. Ok, consider it done.

14. Tammy September 16, 2013 at 9:45 am

Ever since I saw ‘the’ movie, I’ve always wanted to try Fried Green Tomatoes!

15. trisha September 18, 2013 at 7:05 pm

These look so good. I love making them at home myself!

16. Jennifer @ The Quirky Momma September 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm

That looks so good! I’ve never had friend green tomatoes myself, but I think I need to try these out!

17. Mum's the word September 21, 2013 at 9:42 am

Fried Green Tomatoes! I’ve always read about it, but have never tried it! so so cool!!

18. Jennifer September 23, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’ve had fried green tomatoes just once at a restaurant and they were pretty good. I can only imagine how tasty they are when coated in pork rinds!!

19. HilLesha September 23, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m not so much of a fan, but my mom LOVES fried green tomatoes. 🙂

20. Kristen September 9, 2015 at 9:27 am

Hello I was wondering if you think these would work well with an egg replacement such as ener-G or a flax egg? Thanks so much!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 10, 2015 at 9:02 am

I’ve never used either with this recipe hun. Is ener-G similar in texture to an egg?