This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen the movie Fried Green Tomatoes 100 times, but before today, only had the dish once. My mom considers tomatoes only fit for salsa or spaghetti sauce so it’s no wonder that this dish never graced our table when I was young.
Anyhow, I was bumping around a new market and saw these and immediately thought, OK I have to try to make fried green tomatoes. Look at these babies, they are just begging to get eaten.
This recipe is super simple. Batter and fry and you’ve got a tasty side dish for dinner. They cook up quick and man are they good with hot sauce. Now, if you want to kick it up a notch you can add a second coating of crushed pork rinds before you fry them.
- 1 large green tomato, sliced
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Put the coconut oil in your pan and warm.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and add the water. Whisk and set aside
- Combine the tapioca flour, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper and place the mixture on a plate.
- Take the slices of tomato and dip it into the egg wash.
- Then coat it with the tapioca mixture.
- Place the slices in your hot oil and fry for 5 minutes or until the coating starts to brown. Flip and repeat.
© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website