Dirty Chai

Coffee infused with clove, cardamon and peppercorn to make the best dirty chai latte recipe.

How to make Dirty Chai

Last year I discovered Dirty Chai.  I  got a bit addicted to the wonderful melody of coffee, cloves and ginger topped with heavy whipping cream.

However, most coffee shops or mixes have sugar it in.  This makes it tough for to me drink since I really do try to avoid sugar.

One thing that I’ve noticed as I’m in my last week of the 21 Day Sugar Detox is that spices become so much more important in a recipe when you remove sugar.

How to make Dirty Chai

99.9% of the time I don’t do any sugar in my coffee or beverages however I never had such a strong urge to add a tiny splash of honey  as I did with this Dirty Chai recipe.

I guess that’s better than Mr. Bejelly saying that adding rum to it would make it spectacular.

So what exactly is Dirty Chai?

Is coffee that has been infused with the spices commonly added to chai tea/

How to make a Dirty Chai at home

Follow this recipe! It’s super simple and all you need a french press, some coffee beans and spices.

Anyhow, the nice part about this Dirty Chai recipe is that it’s EASY.   Brew for 5 minutes in your French press and enjoy!

How to make Dirty Chai
Dirty Chai

Dirty Chai

Yield: 2

Coffee infused with Chai is a drink everyone will love!

1. Add the ground coffee and spices to a French press. Pour 3 cups of boiling water over the spices and close your press. Let steep for 5 minutes and then enjoy with coconut milk or heavy whipping cream.
Nutrition Information:
Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 16 Sodium: 19mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g

1. D @ The kosher cavegirl November 18, 2013 at 10:07 am

I agree with you! I’ve found that without sugar, I use so much more cinnamon and nutmeg. I love chai, so I can’t wait to try this out!

2. Tammy November 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Shut the front door! That is completely delish sounding, I’m getting ingredients to make it this week!

3. Robin {Mom Foodie} November 18, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Sounds great, but I’m a wussy & would need a little of some sort of sweetener.

4. Cindy November 22, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Hi, can I make this in a regular coffee maker? I don’t have a French press.

1. Kelly Bejelly November 22, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Cindy, the spices need time to steep in the coffee. You could try taking brewed coffee and adding it to a pan and cooking it on low for 5 minutes and then straining it.

5. Ty @ Mama of 3 Munchkins November 25, 2013 at 12:44 am

I don’t have a french press unfortunately, do you know other ways to make this?

6. neeny tyo December 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Love this recipe! hate the color of this type…anyway, love the name too, a girl worth saving…powerful name…so, I make espresso, and then I just dump all that in, or anything related, ie. allspice even…and coconut milk always..and itastes deliciious! can ‘t see the font to check the spelling! great share!

7. Janet May 2, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Some of the whole spices I don’t have and I want to make it NOW!! I am assuming I can use some ground ones?

1. Janet May 14, 2016 at 4:27 am

I just made this with the ground spices and it is so good! I added turmeric and a tsp. of coconut oil and blended it and it’s great!! So relaxing for an early Saturday morning. Thanks!