November 15, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

pumpkin spice thumbprint cookies

The 21 Day Sugar Detox has been an adventure to say the least.  Lately, I’ve been grumpy.  Like grumpy enough to rival Oscar the grouch and the Grinch, pre-Christmas Spirit.  I’ve started taking extra Natural Calm so I can be civil.

However, I can see the plus sides of the diet already: I’ve lost some inches without working out and my skin issues are clearing up. I’m also realizing how much cheating I was doing – every dang day.  I’m not saying that come November 22nd at 12:01 a.m. that I’m going to wake up and eat a candy bar but I do miss the convenience of eating some of my favorite 85% dark chocolate when I feel like it.

pumpkin spice thumbprint cookies 21dsd

I’m going to say that doing this diet is harder for someone who is a food blogger! Seriously, if you don’t know me by now, you know that I share a lot of sweets.  It’s been fun though seeing what I desserts I can create that are 21 Day Sugar detox compliant and vegan.    This recipe turned out excellent and I love the sharp bite of apple in the frosting paired with the pumpkin spice.   These cookies are super filling so be warned.

pumpkin spice thumbprint cookies 21dsd

Pumpkin Spice Thumbprint Cookies

Course: 21 Day Sugar Detox Cookies

Cookie

Frosting

• 1/4 cup coconut butter melted
  • 1/2 green apple peeled and finely shredded

1. For the cookies, place all the ingredient in your food processor and mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
  2. Roll into a walnut size ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly press a thump into the center of each cookie.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
  4. To make the frosting, combine the apple shreds and the coconut butter. Scoop a small amount into the center of each cookie.
  5. Enjoy!

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• November 15, 2013 at 7:34 am

Uhmmmm, so yeah. I’ll be making these. Today. Post-workout. And I’m going to enjoy every damn bite!

• November 15, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I hope you like them! My son and I killed this, lol.

• deb
    November 15, 2013 at 10:13 am

holy cow! dessert on the detox? yum! this looks really good! congrats on sticking to the 21 day sugar detox! I’m on D15 /L3 & seeing great results too! I was eating way too many Paleo treats! trying this recipe this weekend!

• November 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Yes Deb. I was getting a little crazy with the cheats so I’m thankful for the diet for showing me this!

• November 16, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I couldn’t imagine myself on a 21-day sugar detox. I am sure it would be very beneficial for me though. These pumpkin spice cookies look good — nice to see you can still enjoy a treat even without sugar.

• November 16, 2013 at 9:58 pm

These look wonderful, but my guys aren’t coconut fans. I can sneak it in only if it doesn’t have that “coconutty feel”. How’s the texture? I may just have to make these, and not share…

• November 16, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Om my! These cookies look amazing and I think I may just have to make them this week. Thanks!

• November 17, 2013 at 2:39 am

These look tasty and great for the holidays. I’m so impressed that you are still on this detox. I remember trying to go no sugar when I lived in L.A. but didn’t stay with it for too long, probably not enough to really notice the beneficial results.

• November 17, 2013 at 6:51 am

These look sooooo good! I’ve been making essentially the same thing without the banana or frosting. The frosting will make it AWESOME! Can’t wait to try it your way.

• Peggy Holloway
      November 22, 2013 at 8:24 am

Can you share the version without the banana? Fruit actually contains a great deal of sugar, so this recipe can’t be considered sugar-free. I don’t do much baking but like to make something for the holidays and my entire family is grain and sugar-free. I avoid most sweeteners but I t think without the banana I could make this work since the pumpkin and spices might be sweet enough.

• November 22, 2013 at 9:01 am

Peggy, I’ve never made it without the banana. You can try it without and it should stay together well but it, obviously, will be slightly different. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

• Megan
        January 8, 2015 at 1:23 pm

The recipe doesn’t have any added sugar. The 21DSD is about eliminating refined, added sugars and embracing whole foods. A green tipped banana hasn’t broken down as much sugar as a really ripe one. The natural sugars that occur in foods are hard to avoid. I start my detox soon! Nervous and excited.

• November 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Those look pretty darn amazing!

• November 17, 2013 at 1:50 pm

oh man, anything with pumpkin sounds amazing!

• November 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm

coconut butter is very interesting! I have to look around here to see if we have that here!

• November 17, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Those are some crazy good looking and sounding cookies and kudos to you for doing this detox. You my friend are a much stronger woman than I am . 🙂

• November 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Pumpkin AND Coconut?! Can’t be anything but delish!

• November 17, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Yum! Those look delicious and they also look like they are just the right size for a snack so you can indulge and not feel guilty.

• November 18, 2013 at 9:06 am

I’m an absolute sucker for thumbprint cookies and these are totally calling my name. I stalked your site a bit this weekend in an attempt to get myself a bit more aligned with paleo as I’ve slipped away from it a liiiiitle too much recently and my body isn’t happy about it. These will be one of the first things I make b/c without some sort of “treat” on hand, I go nuts. 🙂

• November 18, 2013 at 9:18 am

I am so right there with you on needing a treat. Heck I’m on a detox and making desserts! The detox has been awesome in that I realize how much I’ve been cheating and it’s helped me put a stop to that nonsense. I hope you like them!

• November 18, 2013 at 9:42 am

they sound delish!

• November 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Now, I am just curious. I definitely need to try this detox if I can eat stuff like this!

Oh, and you’ve inspired me to try cooking with coconut oil!

• November 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm

You have saved my sugar cravings during my detox. SO THANK YOu! Can’t wait to make these and bring them to the finally thanksgiving so I do not cheat!

• November 19, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Yeah! I hope you love them Sara 🙂

• November 26, 2013 at 7:28 pm

These look delicious! My roommate just made thumbprint cookies but I will bet they were nowhere near as healthy as these…thanks for posting! I stumbled upon this recipe through a linkup 🙂

Gabi

• November 27, 2013 at 10:25 pm

if you try them, I hope you like them Gabi!

• April 22, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Am so scared to try coconut butter… If it’s anything at all like canned coconut milk, I’m out, lol. But I do need something to help me w cravings. I’m on day 2…..

• April 22, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Hrm.. I don’t like the taste of full fat coconut milk, which is why i still drink raw milk and raw heavy whipping cream. I can’t really taste it because the apple really overpowers it. I hope you like it hun.

• Sarah
    April 30, 2014 at 10:53 am

Do you know if these freeze well?

• May 1, 2014 at 9:32 am

Coconut flour does freeze up well although I have not frozen this recipe.

• Elizabeth
    May 1, 2014 at 8:29 am

just made these, so excited about them, but they definitely weren’t running into a ball consistency. I thought ably adding more coconut flour but since I am new to it I dint want to ruin them. I dished them out like drop cookies but they are not f irming up, can’t figure out where I went wr ong, any suggestions? Thanks!

• May 1, 2014 at 9:31 am

Hrmm. . . I would add more flour – 1 tbsp at a time because coconut flour sucks up moisture quick.

• Gina
    October 16, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Sounds good. I’m wondering about why a green-ish banana instead of a fully ripe one? I normally don’t use bananas until they have brown speckles.

Thanks!

• October 17, 2014 at 7:49 am

You can use ripe bananas Gina. This recipe was created when I was on the 21 days sugar detox hence the green banana 🙂

• jake3_14
    November 10, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I’m not on the 21SD, so I added 1/2 a packet of stevia, and I browned the coconut butter. OMG nom nom nom! I’m making a quadruple batch of this for my church’s annual auction later this week.

I’d give this recipe 5 stars, but my browser’s only lighting up 2 stars. 🙁

• November 11, 2014 at 11:21 am

Yeah! Thanks hun. Hrmm. . . I’ll have to what’s going on with my site. Thanks for letting me know.

• jake3_14
    November 23, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Another prospective client, another smash hit for these cookies! The new client couldn’t believe these were grain-free.

• December 21, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Thank you soooo much for this recipe! I just made some tonight (the only thing I changed was subbing the coconut flakes with dairy free chocolate chips) and they turned out delicious! Even my parents – definitely not sugar free people – gave them a thumbs up. As a gluten free celiac in college, I’ve been craving cookies all semester – now that I’m home, yours were the first I made! 🙂

• December 21, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it hun!

• Rick
    January 3, 2015 at 9:17 am

Does the apple in the frosting turn brown?

• January 3, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Yes, they do turn brown over time. You can cover them with lemon juice before mixing them in with the coconut butter.

• Monica
    November 23, 2016 at 10:38 am

Do you just stir in the shredded apple with the coconut butter or do you blend together in a processor?

• Penny R
    November 23, 2016 at 12:56 pm

When you say green tipped banana, is that a banana or a plaintain? Would love to try these!