Updated on

byKelly Bejelly

This gluten-free paleo thanksgiving stuffing is the perfect side dish for your holiday. Warm bits of bacon, onion, mushrooms and celery make this holiday favorite extra delicious.

Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe (Gluten-free)

My favorite Thanksgiving side dish is the paleo thanksgiving stuffing.

I always make sure to wear my stretchy pants when I get ready to dig into dinner because mama, I’m going to eat a lot of everything.

For me, eating dressing smothered in cranberry sauce is just the cherry on top of the day of celebrating all the blessings and people in my life.

For this gluten-free stuffing recipe, I turned to my favorite grocery store, Whole Foods, to gather all the ingredients I needed.

This is my second version of a Thanksgiving dressing recipe and I knew it was good when I couldn’t stop eating pieces of it when creating it.

I wanted to do something different and fun so I included bacon.    There is a lot of chopping and quite a few steps, but I don’t know of a from-scratch-dressing recipe  that doesn’t require both.

I also kept the seasoning very simple – salt, pepper , thyme and parsley.  I love the tart splash of lemon paired with the shrimp in the warm taste of the dressing.

The texture of the bread is spot on and I’m pretty sure you can fool anyone into thinking that this is made with “real bread.”

If you’re looking for even more holiday meal inspiration and help check out Whole Foods Market’s Holiday Guide and Kitchen Play’s Thanksgiving Table.

What you’ll need for this Recipe:

BREAD

SAUTEED VEGETABLES MIX

• butter
  • celery
  • Whole Food’s applewood bacon
  • Onion
  • Cremini mushrooms

How to Make This Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe:

Pour the batter into a greased 8″ x 10″ pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove for the oven and take a fork and break up the bread into small pieces. It should be somewhat sticky.

For the sautéed vegetables, melt the butter in the pan and then add all your ingredients. Cook for 25 – 30 minutes on medium, stirring occasionally.

lace in the oven at 300 degrees for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and set aside to let cool.

If you like this Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing recipe, you’ll love:

Paleo Deviled Eggs

Paleo Green Bean Casserole

Paleo Pumpkin Cheesecake

Did you make and love this recipe?  Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!

Gluten-free Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe

Gluten-free Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe

Yield: 6
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Made with tapioca and almond flour, this paleo thanksgiving stuffing is perfect smothers in gravy

Bread

Sauteed Vegetables Mix

• 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 stalks of celery, diced
  • 4 slices Whole Food's applewood bacon, diced
  • 1 small onion, peeled and diced
  • 6 Crimini mushrooms, diced

1. To make the bread, first grind the almonds into a fine flour in your blender or food processor.
  2. Next add all the other bread ingredients to the blender and blend until fully mixed.
  3. Pour the batter into a greased 8" x 10" pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove for the oven and take a fork and break up the bread into small pieces. It should be somewhat sticky.
  4. For the sautéed vegetables, melt the butter in the pan and then add all your ingredients. Cook for 25 - 30 minutes on medium, stirring occasionally.
  5. Set aside 1/2 cup of the vegetable sauté and blend the rest with the breading in your baking pan. Cover the pan and
  6. Place in the oven at 300 degrees for 25 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Nutrition Information:
Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 225 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 542mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 7g
gluten free paleo thanksgiving stuffing

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Whole Foods. I only work with brands I love and always share with you my own opinions.

• November 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

Well, this definitely isn’t Kosher, but it still looks delicious.

I LOVE Whole Foods 365 broth. My absolute favorite is the vegetable broth. Our closest Whole Foods is more than 30 minutes away, so we don’t go weekly. We try to go once every month or two, and we always buy a case of the vegetable broth. Did you know that you get 10% off if you buy a case of anything at Whole Foods? If you use a lot of any product, keep that in mind.

• November 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for sharing that Dianna! I had no idea about the discount.

• November 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm

That looks totally appealing and I’ll bet your family gobbled that up right away after the photo shoot. 🙂

• November 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Liz, I hogged it! They got a serving and I ate the rest!

• November 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I am used to traditional dressing, but now I’d really like to try some with shrimp and bacon!

• November 5, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Growing up, we always had dressing from a box so I never thought it was anything special. (Sorry Mom.) Once I started making my own, I was HOOKED on the stuff–there’s nothing better than from-scratch dressing! I love the idea of adding shrimp and bacon!

• November 6, 2013 at 8:35 am

Thanks Elizabeth 🙂 My mom always made it from scratch and I quickly understood why after visiting with an Aunt who loved her box mixes.

• November 6, 2013 at 2:57 pm

That certainly looks and sounds amazing!

• I love that you call it dressing — I have always called it stuffing, even though I never ever actually stuff it inside anything (and understand that dressing is the proper name for the way I serve it). I love the flavors in this — and the final dish looks so good that I wish I could reach a spoon through the screen to give it a taste. YUM.

• November 7, 2013 at 10:16 am

Thanks Sarah 🙂 I kinda vacillate between calling it dressing and stuffing, truth be told.

• November 10, 2013 at 6:12 am

I admire the way you put these recipes together, thanks for sharing.5 stars

• Nate
    November 25, 2013 at 2:40 pm

What are your thoughts on using this as stuffing and putting it inside a bird while roasting?

• November 25, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Nate, I’m always wary of stuffing the cavity of the birth while cooking. However, with the texture of the dressing, I know it would hold up well.

• Courtney
    November 29, 2013 at 7:07 am

I just wanted to let you know I made this for Thanksgiving. I made 2 (one vegan for my parents). It was amazing! I don’t like stuffing/dressing. I grew up in a vegan house and never understood the appeal. Of course they were all box mixes. My family took most of my leftovers, which makes me glad I made 2 batches both were delicious. These are the people that turn their noses up at all my gluten/grain free foods and they got seconds and took some home. So thank you for this I will make it all year round now. It was really easy.5 stars

• November 29, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Yeah! I’m so happy to hear that Courtney 🙂 I made this yesterday and TORE IT UP, lol.

• November 29, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Kelly this was the bomb!! It was very hard for me not to scarf it down right after i made it!
    I took it to a Thanksgiving dinner and everybody loved it. I was lucky enough to have a bit of leftovers for today, which I warmed up adding a cup of chicken broth. It made it even more delicious, as the tapioca bread softened and became juicy.
    YUM5 stars

• November 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Aw, thanks so much for sharing that hun! I seriously didn’t share this with my son. Ack! Bad mom but it was so good!

• January 24, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Mmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmmm. This sure sounds good, Kelly. I’m a dressing hound and a seafood lover, too! What a wonderful combination! We make oyster dressing in the south, but doing one with shrimp never occurred to me, you clever girl. I’ll defo try this!,5 stars

• Carol W
    November 14, 2014 at 11:16 am

So, I’m wondering if you could use blanched almond flour, instead of grinding raw almonds? Sorry it may be a silly question, I’m pretty new to the grain free/Paleo scene.

• November 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Yes, can you use it. You will have to tweak the measurement a touch though.

• Michelle
    November 11, 2018 at 7:56 am

What is the appropriate measurement if using almond flour?
    Also, I would like to use coconut flour instead of tapioca, does this measure the same amount?

• November 13, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Tapioca flour has tons of carbs, do you know of a good substitute for it in this recipe?