December 9, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

Paleo Sugar Cookies

It is not a holiday without paleo sugar cookies.  I used to eat my weight every single year so you know I was doing a happy dance and forgetting about calories and carbs when I came up with this sugar cookie beauty.

paleo sugar cookies

I decided to do everything in my food processor so I wouldn’t have to hand mix the dough. Seriously, this is the easiest way to do it.

paleo sugar cookies

Paleo Sugar Cookie dough goodness and only one container to clean when you’re done.

Paleo Sugar Cookies

Course: Paleo Desserts

1. Do not preheat your oven. Timing is based on putting into a cold oven.
  2. Grind the cashews into a flour in your food processor.
  3. Next add in the coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda and tapioca flour and pulse to combine.
  4. Then add the ghee vanilla, egg and honey and pulse until you have a cookie dough.
  5. Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment and cut with your cookie cutters. Place them on a piece of parchment paper and then bake at 350 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes.
  6. Enjoy!

paleo sugar cookies

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website

• December 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

As you may have heard, I’m on a bit of a cashew kick, so I can’t wait to get in the kitchen and try making these! They look absolutely edible!

• December 9, 2013 at 10:45 am

So crazy good! We…ok….I destroyed them!

• August 5, 2014 at 12:53 pm

THESE SOUND GREAT! I’M HOPING MY KIDDOS LOVE THEM! WE HAVE GRASSFED BUTER ON HAND BUT NO GHEE IGHT NOW; WOULD THE SAME MEASUREMENT WORK WELL IN THIS RECIPE? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

• DeeDee Specht
      August 8, 2014 at 8:18 am

I am new to the “Paleo” thing, but I thought it discarded anything animal and this calls for an egg?

• August 10, 2014 at 7:42 am

DeeDee, the Paleo diet is a protien and real food based diet. Eggs are a major part of the diet, if you can tolerate them.

• December 9, 2013 at 11:32 am

I had never seen ghee before moving to a large city with a diverse population. I was wondering besides ethnic dishes what else one would use it for!

• Jacqi
      December 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm

You can use ghee anywhere you would use butter or a fat for cooking. Baking, sautéing, etc. I love it. I buy local grassfed butter and make ghee myself. Yummy.

• bee
      May 17, 2014 at 12:17 am

Ghee has a bit of a different taste to butter… a little richer perhaps? The great thing about ghee is that it does not have the lactose (sugar) or casein (protein) that a growing number of people find they are reacting to. The lactose and casein are removed in the process of making ghee, but ghee is still unsuitable for those with a dairy allergy. I love using ghee since it gives me a much healthier option to dairy-free margarine. Like Jacqi I like to buy good quality butter and make ghee myself, but it is possible to buy good quality ghee in some health food stores or co-ops. And yep, use ghee pretty much wherever you’d use butter.

• vicki
    December 10, 2013 at 7:15 am

I just bought cashew flour at Trader Joe’s. Do you know how much cashew flour I would use in place of the cashews? I’d like to make these for my daughter’s birthday party. Thanks!

• December 10, 2013 at 10:16 am

Do they taste like coconut? I use coconut flour in a lot of my recipes and they always taste like coconut. Also, can I sub maple syrup instead of honey?

• December 10, 2013 at 11:49 am

My husband hates coconut flour and he loved these. Yes, you can sub maple syrup 🙂

• JeNny
    December 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

These look Gret! What can I sub for the tapioca flour ?

• Brittany
    December 10, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Wow! Just made these… I did two seperate batches. First batch the dough tasted just like raw cookie dough but the actual cookie had more of a shortbread like texture. Second batch I thought I maybe tasted too much honey but for whatever reason that batch of cookies was like eating the real thing! Thanks for the recipe!

• December 11, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Awesome Brittany. Did you make them in your food processor?

• Suzanne
    December 11, 2013 at 11:47 am

You are a food GENIUS!!! Seriously LOVE all of your recipes!!

• December 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I love a good sugar cookie… I love the idea of a healthier sugar cookie even better.

My question is, where do I get tapioca flour, coconut flour, etc? I can’t find them at my local grocery store.

• December 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Dianna, probably the next best place is amazon. I buy a lot of this online.

• rainmom
      December 25, 2013 at 12:58 pm

You can get all sorts of various flours at many health food stores, and often you can buy bulk in smaller portions.

Also wanted to mention, because we can’t have ghee, I used macadamia oil, and it required a LOT more cashew flour than 1 cup plus 1 tbsp. It was probably 1 3/4 cups. The only possible other issue was I used eggs from my hens, so maybe mine was x-large or jumbo size?. I just kept adding cashew flour until it turned into dough that looked like Kelly’s.

I’ve been cooking GF/CF, for over a decade, then removed, soy, corn, and white sugar. Eight years ago we all went to SCD, but then decided to let starch creep back in. My kiddo went berserk, full-on brain fog, return of autism symptoms. So, back to basic- now non-dairy Paleo. Feeling better !

• December 26, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Thanks so much for sharing that hun!! Good luck on your health journey

• December 11, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Ahh, these look so good! I’m baking with my mom this year in preparation for christmas, I think I will be recommending adding these to the list!

• LKG
    December 12, 2013 at 7:47 am

I am definitely making these this weekend! Do you think the dough is soft enough to use in a cookie press?

• December 12, 2013 at 10:30 am

Well, I’ve never used a cookie press to be honest. It made 10 big cookies so there might be enough?

• cheryl
    December 12, 2013 at 10:22 am

Egg allergy here. I find that the powdered egg replacer wrecks many recipes. Makes the texture nasty. Any idea what I could do to replace the eggÉ

• cheryl
    December 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Worked well with egg replacer powder. Will try with chia seed replacer some time. Added ginger and cinnamon. Great texture!

• December 12, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Yeah! I’m so glad it worked out well Cheryl and love that you added some spices to it 🙂

• December 12, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hi! This recipe looks divine! I’d love to try it but cannot have tapioca or arrowroot. Can I leave it out perhaps? Thx tons! Judy

• December 12, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Yes, you can leave it out with no issues! Enjoy!

• Linda
    December 13, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hi! I’m completely dairy free over here. Can I use coconut oil instead of ghee, or do you have any other suggestions? (I can’t use dairy free butter/margarine. I haven’t been able to find one without flax oil and I can’t have flax either.)

• December 13, 2013 at 10:27 am

Yes, that works perfectly Linda!

• December 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm

These look wonderful!! Any idea if you could get away with using an egg substitute in it?

• December 14, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Yes, another reader made it with egg substitute and she said it came out well. I hope you enjoy it Carey!

• kathy
    December 14, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Is it possible to use Cashew butter with them instead of raw cashews? If so, how much would you think?

• December 14, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I think that cashew butter is too thick to get the correct consistency. You could try but I think you would end up with something more like a nut butter cookie.

• kathy
        December 15, 2013 at 4:36 pm

• sjanette
    December 14, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Can I use Brazil nuts instead of the cashews for lowering the carbs?

• December 14, 2013 at 11:15 pm

You can always substitute a nut but the flavor would be very different.

• sjanette
        December 14, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Thank you!

• Lee
    December 15, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Do you know of healthy-ish frosting? Want to make Xmas with my daughter!

• Carla hackett
    December 16, 2013 at 3:44 am

Going to try these! Could you use almond flour instead of cashews? i don’t have a food processor so it’s easier to get almond flour. 🙂

• December 16, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Yes, the flavor will be a touch different though.

• Rebecca
    December 16, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I don’t know what I did wrong! The first sheet of them burned, so I only cooked the second round for 10 mins and they are super dark. 🙁 Are you supposed to put them in a cold oven?

• December 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm

🙁 Sorry hun! Yes, I never preheat. I’ll put this in my recipe now.

• Patricia R.
        December 26, 2013 at 10:32 am

Are you saying you never preheat your oven for any recipe? Just wondering, as most recipes call for it. And if you don’t preheat, you turn on your oven, stick in the food, and cook for the amount of time you list in your recipe?

• December 26, 2013 at 11:18 am

Pretty much Patricia. IF I do, I mention it first but 99% of the time I do not preheat.

• December 18, 2013 at 7:15 am

These looks amazing, so adorable! I love that you used cashews in this recipe. I’ve been trying not to use so much almond products because I do not want my system to become sensitive to almonds like it has other foods. I am so ready to try a cashew cookie recipe!

• MELicious
    December 22, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Amazing! I was afraid there wouldn’t be any dough left to actually make the cookies! LOL!!! Featuring them on my FB page MELicious! Thank you so much! 🙂

• December 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I am looking forward to sharing these with friends and family this week!

• Ericka
    January 15, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Well, these is the third time this week my 5 year old demands we make cookies. Great flavor. I added a bit if turbinado crystals on top and others got Greek yogurt, chia seeds, and honey frosting. They are a keeper. The cashew flour had a nice flavor. Can you use this dough to make pop tarts? I have made your pop tarts and i enjoy them a lot, but I was wondering if the cashew might give it a little something else. 🙂

• January 16, 2014 at 9:17 am

You can definitely make them with cashew flour but you have to use egg (or something to keep them together). The best bet is to just add a little flour to the mixture so you get a little bit of the taste.

• Therese
    March 6, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Made these today! They are really amazing and the recipe was easy to follow! They taste EXACTLY like sugar cookies. Your recipes are seriously awesome. Thank you so much for sharing them!

• March 6, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Yeah! These are my favorite too Therese 🙂

• britli
    October 25, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Do i have to soak the cashews?

• Kristina
    November 5, 2014 at 9:42 am

I love cashews! They are my new favorite food. And I LOVE that this is a dump-it-in-the-food-processor kinda recipe. But I am trying to get rid of sugar (fructose, in particular). I used brown rice syrup instead of honey. Is there a way that I could eliminate the sugar completely and retain the structure of the cookie?

• November 6, 2014 at 8:08 am

You’re going to have to do some experimenting but maybe if you ground up the cashews into more a nut butter (and added more cashews that would work)

• Jennifer Catlin
    November 30, 2014 at 9:06 am

Do you have a frosting or icing recipe for these?

• Beki
    December 3, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I would like to substitute cashew butter for the. Do you have any idea how much I should use?

• December 4, 2014 at 9:55 am

It would turn out different with cashew butter since it’s wetter. You might not need to add as many eggs or the butter. You can sub another nut flour if that helps although the taste won’t be the same.

• HJSanborn
    December 12, 2014 at 11:15 am

Can you sub coconut oil for ghee?

• Geraldine
    December 14, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Hi! I was thinking of using almond flour instead of cashews but I was wondering how much should I use? 1 cup?

• December 14, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I would start at a cup and keep adding in 1/4 cup increments until the dough looks like the photo hun.

• Craftleen
    December 26, 2014 at 11:55 am

Thank you for the recipe, these sugar cookies are some of the best I’ve ever made! I baked them in a sheet pan instead of making individual cookies because I can cut them to varying sizes that way (and I’m lazy, only one pan in and one pan out, no swapping of pans). The taste is pure sugar cookies and the best part is they remain soft. After making and taste testing my initial batch, I used this dough to make cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. I refrigerated the dough for an hour, rolled it out thickly into a rectangle on parchment paper, spread with real butter, sprinkled cinnamon, raisins, and pecans over the top. I rolled it up jelly roll style (it rolled up like a dream), cut it into thick slices and arranged in a glass cake pan to sit overnight. Christmas morning, I baked them uncovered for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. They didn’t rise, of course but the texture remained soft and we enjoyed the warm cinnamon rolls, especially slathered with butter. Let them cool slightly so they don’t fall apart as easily when you remove them from the pan. Thank you again for a great tasting, multipurpose recipe.

• December 26, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed them hun!

• Bridget
    December 28, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Made these tonight since I’ve been looking for a good paleo sugar cookie. These are definitely the best! I used almond extract instead of vanilla because that’s what my mom and I did for sugar cookies. They are so delicious. My husband and I ate 3 each as soon as they were done! Mine did get a little dark, and I put them in a non-preheated oven for 15 minutes so next time I will check sooner. Thank you for this great recipe!

• December 28, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I love this recipe! I’m baking up some cookies as I type 🙂

• Addie
    March 30, 2015 at 7:28 pm

These look amazing – how far can I make them in advance?

• Olivia
    September 25, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Great recipe! They turned out just like you said they would 🙂
    I do have a question though – do you think grinding up peanuts instead of cashews would work? I’m not a huge cashew fan and would imagine this cookie as a “peanut butter cookie” to be delicious! Just not sure how that would bake. Thanks so much!

• October 4, 2015 at 7:11 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it Oliva 🙂 Yes, it would change the flavor but I think it would work well.

• Monica
    October 31, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Hi !!

Your recipe says that it serves 6, but it looks like these are more than 6 cookies in the photo. Does it make about 12 cookies, so each person gets to eat 2? 🙂

• November 2, 2015 at 8:50 am

yep 🙂 I don’t know many people who would only have one cookie!

• November 5, 2015 at 11:19 am

On my to do list for chirstmas! healthy goodness. Thanks for the recipe. Carine.

• Erin
    December 7, 2015 at 11:38 am

I just made the dough and it is really sticky and definitely not something that could be rolled and cut out (even btwn sheets of parchment). Did you refrigerate your dough or did I do something wrong?

• January 18, 2016 at 10:13 am

Your eggs may have been larger than mine. You can refrigerate to let the dough firm up hun.

• Erin
    December 10, 2015 at 8:45 am

Hi! I’m making cut out cookies, and I’ll be doing the vegan version. One question – this sugar cookie recipe has tapioca in it, but your version that you posted on Against All Grain (as part of the Strawberry Jam cookies) does not. Which version would you recommend for cutting out with kids? Thanks!

• December 10, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Tapioca will make it easier to cut hun so I would do with that.

• Erin
        December 10, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Thanks!

• Valan
    December 16, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Can you use butter instead of ghee?

• Laura
    December 21, 2015 at 2:24 pm

My dough tastes awesome but it’s super sticky. I couldn’t get cookie cutters on it if I tried 🙁 any help??

• December 28, 2015 at 9:22 am

I would add a little more tapioca flour hun

• Valan
    December 22, 2015 at 8:31 am

I followed instructions carefully and baked for a little over 15 minutes. The only thing I did differently was use a silicone baking mat in place of parchment paper. I’m guessing that is why I had a problem: perhaps it makes the cookies bake faster, because they came out un-salvageably burnt 🙁 I wasn’t checking them either, so my bad. I did haveabout half the batter left still, because my cookie cut outs were too large to fit all on one tray, so I reduced baking time. The second batch came out just right. It took about 8 minutes in a preheated oven.
    They are yummy! I may add additional coconut sugar next time to sweeten them up some more!

• Yoli
    January 4, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Hello, these are in the oven right now and the batter tastes too much like cashews, I added almond flour with coconut flour and they taste more like a peanut butter cookie. Is this normal?

• Veronica
    February 24, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Do you put the cookies in the oven right after you turn it on or do i have to wait till it heats up to 350? Im a little confused on that

• May 2, 2016 at 9:02 am

I turn on the oven and then put the cookies in.

• marie brenner
    April 30, 2016 at 7:34 am

Can I use Regular butter in these until I get ghee?

• Annie
    September 26, 2016 at 8:09 am

I love this recipe! It’s so authentic.

I usually use butter as I love the flavour but I want to make a batch for a friend who can’t have dairy. Would coconut oil work ok as a replacement?

Thanks!

• September 27, 2016 at 8:04 pm

You could try palm shortening hun.

• Hailey
    December 10, 2016 at 1:50 pm

These were amazing! I added 1/4 cup coconut sugar and made a coconut cream frosting. My 2 year old liked them too. Thank you!

• Donna
    March 2, 2017 at 3:24 pm

I’m going to have to try these again sometime because the dough tasted amazing. Unfortunately, mine were burnt on the bottom after 10 minutes.