June 30, 2014   By Kelly Bejelly

Paleo french Bread

There is a well known fact amongst Portlanders and  that is  “Summer doesn’t start until July 4th” and I  am ready.

I am ready for seeing the sun fill up the sky with it happy light.

I am ready for the doves that beat box in the large cedar tree near my office window (have you ever noticed how doves sound like they’re rapping?).

I am ready for splashing in the pool and forgetting that summer is a finite amount of days  and before I know it . . ugg. no . . I just won’t go there.

Anyhow. summer always makes me more adventurist in the kitchen and for weeks, I’ve had this nagging desire to create a true “bread” recipe and after attempt after attempt, I finally got this, well, almost right.  This does use yeast which is something I am just starting to play around with.

The first bite of this paleo french bread transported me back to my big girl days where I would eat an entire loaf of french bread slathered in butter.

The flavor is spot on.

The outside is tough and crusty and the inside is soft, but it’s much chewier than a true “french bread”

When I started fussing with this recipe, I was shooting for a white bread so I put it in a large baking loaf pan and the taste turned out just like french bread.

Paleo french Bread

Some tips:

1. Use a serrated knife to cut this breads.  It’s going to be slightly rough to cut through.
  2. Cut the bread into slices and let it dry out for 10 minutes before eating.

Paleo french Bread

Paleo french Bread

Paleo French Bread

Prep Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes

1. In a large bowl add the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, sea salt and yeast and with a spoon mix until well combined.
  2. In a medium pot over medium low heat add the palm shortening and let melt.
  3. Then add in the water and honey and warm until the temperature is between 120 to 130 degrees.
  4. Pour the water into the flour mixture and mix with a heat resistant spatula until a very soft dough forms. The dough will be very heavy and require a touch of elbow grease.
  5. Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place for one hour.
  6. Grease two loaf pans or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  7. If you use loaf pans, halve the dough and set in each pan.
  8. If you use a baking sheet, place all the dough on the sheet and shape into a french bread loaf.
  9. Cover with a cloth and set in a warm place for one hour to raise again.
  10. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  11. Set the bread in the oven and bake for 30 to 38 minutes.
  12. Remove from the oven and let cook in the pan/on the baking sheet.
  13. Slice the bread with a serrated knife and let "dry" for 5 minutes before eating.

© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• Samantha
    June 30, 2014 at 3:02 pm

This looks yummy Kelly….I’m going to try it this week. I can’t wait.

• Mimi
        October 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Mine just became watery no dough. 🙁

• October 20, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I would keep adding more tapioca flour hun. I’m not sure why it was watery.

• Robyn
      November 21, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I have an old bread maker and wondered if you thought I would be able to use that for the Paleo bread recipes you have. This one looks really good, thanks for your post.

• November 23, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I think it would work well with the french bread recipe Robyn since it uses yeast but the others recipes would be difficult.

• Mary
    October 22, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Hello! Could I fashion this into a couple or so French type of rolls? Wanna make French dips with leftover brisket

• October 30, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I would recommend keeping them small because they get pretty gooey in the center if they are too big. You could call them mini dips 🙂

• Nat
    January 20, 2015 at 3:00 am

Ok, so I *finally* got around to making this today, and the only substitution I made was I used butter in place of the shortening. It baked just as nice as described, crisp on the exterior, and soft and chewy in the center. I think. Had a slight after taste of white wine to me-which I think is actually the yeast in combo with the other ingredients(I haven’t made a loaf of bread in eons, and am eating largely low carb). BUT! This is *totally* as close to actual, wheat-filled french bread as I can get, and was quite nice with copious amounts of butter. I sincerely am looking forward to adding my own sugar free jam, and on another occasion, melting dark chocolate on top. Thank you so much for the recipe-plan on making the biscuits next!

• January 28, 2015 at 8:33 am

Wow, now I’m going to have to try dark chocolate on top the next time I make this! So glad you enjoyed it Nat!

• April 2, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Hi Kelly. Do I have to add the honey? We really don’t like bread sweet. What does the honey do to the dough? Is it a mandatory ingredients? Thanks for answering. Want to bake that bread tomorrow.

• April 2, 2015 at 5:13 pm

You need sugar to feed the yeast hun.