August 18, 2014   By Kelly Bejelly

paleo chex

I have been on a quest to make a Paleo Captain Crunch for a year and well, I’m coming up empty ya’ll.  The dang recipe is alluding me so I’m taking a break from it and going to work on croissants.

Anyhow, I have managed to make a few spin off recipes and this Paleo Chex Cereal is one of them.

Sometimes the hardest part of the recipe is figuring out what the heck to name it.  On my first bite, it tasted like Honey Bunches of Oats.  Then it thought it was like Honey Grahams cereal.

After we were close to eating the entire batch, I thought of Chex and Mr. Bejelly and I finally agreed on the name.

Now this cereal is not thin and light.  This is hardier and will be hard to stop eating.

Seriously.

We tore through this like the Little on a soup binge and my kiddo can eat a gallon of soup before giving up (his belly looks like a little Buddha also which is hilarious)

paleovanillachex1-1

paleo chex

Paleo Chex

1. preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In your food processor of blender, grind the cashews into a flour.
  3. Pour add in the rest of the ingredients and pulse until it forms a wet dough.
  4. Scrape the wet dough onto your parchment paper lined baking sheet and cover with a second piece of parchment paper.
  5. With a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4 thick.
  6. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and the score the cereal with a knife into small squares.
  7. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
  8. Remove from the oven and let cool for 8 to 10 minutes to crisp up before eating.

© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• August 18, 2014 at 12:22 pm

This looks great! I love the ingenious workaround you came up with to make the dough actually be workable. Most recipes always seem to use almond flour, and there is only so much you can do with almond flour in my opinion.

• Deanna
    August 18, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I’m sorry to do this…but I do have to ask…
    My boys miss cereal A LOT! We are on the GAPS diet, so we avoid all grains, but we also avoid all flours except coconut or a nut/seed flour. I’m not a baker. Is there anything that you may suggest we could experiment with to see if we could replace the tapioca flour? They would love this as a treat occasionally! Thank you!

• Kelly
    August 20, 2014 at 10:10 am

Hello! This recipe looks fantastic and I am really looking forward to trying it! However, is there any way that I could make this nut free?
    Thanks for all that you do and for all your recipes! I am truly loving them! 🙂

~Kelly

• September 2, 2014 at 7:50 pm

We have a cashew allergy in our home. Do you have recommendations for a good substitution? Thanks!

• Erin
    September 5, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I just made this tonight, and YUM!!!! I only used half of the maple syrup called for and wow…this is definitely going to be a go to recipe for me!

• September 12, 2014 at 9:28 am

Yeah! So glad you enjoyed it Erin!

• Allison Brown
    December 17, 2014 at 10:12 am

This cereal was DELICIOUS! Only one problem in our house…we discovered (eating this tasty dish) that my daughter is allergic to tapioca flour. She is literally crying that she can’t finish this cereal…is there a possible substitute for the tapioca flour? Thanks for your wonderful recipes!

• Allison Brown
    December 17, 2014 at 11:41 am

Well, I just ran to the store to grab arrowroot powder and subbed that for the tapioca…and it turned out almost exactly the same! I only used 1 tbs of arrowroot vs 2 tbs of the tapioca as one website indicated this to be the appropriate conversion, and so it was! The texture was mildly more crumbly, but otherwise the same.

• December 18, 2014 at 11:58 am

Yeah, I’m so glad that worked hun!

• Jennifer Eckhart
    January 5, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Do the cashews need to be raw or roasted?

• January 5, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Raw. Thanks for asking hun. I’ll update the recipe 🙂

• Carly
    February 22, 2015 at 11:39 am

Is there another nut you would recommend to replace the cashews? I’m allergic but would love to try this!

• Emily
    March 11, 2015 at 7:13 am

This is really good – it doesn’t last long in our house 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

• MaryWilderness
    September 3, 2016 at 9:08 am

This sounds great! I’m looking forward to trying it along with some of your other recipies! Thanks for your hard work & sharing! ????