When I was little, every fall we would pick baskets full of apples from the trees in the backyard. Those red apples would be transformed into delicious jars of cinnamon applesauce. Now that I have my own backyard, with even more apple trees, I’ve found even more uses for them.
If you’re like me, you may not have tons of time to make baked goods. What’s nice about this gluten free apple spice cake though, is that it’s pretty quick to throw together. It took me less than 10 minutes to get the recipe in the oven!
This apple spice cake is the perfect afternoon snack. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream to make it even more delicious. You can even grab a piece for a quick breakfast treat. If you’re looking for a dairy free version, use a dairy free butter substitute instead of the grassfed butter. There really is no wrong way to eat it!
My favorite way to enjoy this seasonal snack though is with a warm cup of herbal tea. Right now I’m really enjoying spiced chai. I’ve also started making an herbal coffee substitute blend with chicory, dandelion root and milk thistle. Both of these drinks taste amazing with just a little bit of raw honey and a swirl of cream. Just add a good book and a quiet seat under a tree , and I’m in heaven!
Gluten Free Apple Coffee Cake
- 1 cup Superfine Blanched Almond Flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon power
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon clove powder
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon B grade maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup chopped apple
- ½ cup chopped walnuts optional
- 1/3 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup organic unrefined cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cold pastured butter
- Combine all of the cake ingredients except for the chopped apples in a medium size bowl and mix until combined.
- Stir in the chopped apples and walnuts if using
- Spread the batter into an 8x8 square pan or a small pie pan of comparable size.
Make the topping:
- Combine the white rice flour, cane sugar and cold butter in a mixer and mix just until combined. Sprinkle on top of the batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.