The holidays are almost upon us, and that means an abundance of delicious holiday treats! Christmas is easier to survive and enjoy when you are armed with your own supply of paleo Christmas cookies! Fortunately paleo cookies are easy to make with grain-free flours and unrefined sweeteners. They taste delicious, too; your friends won’t even notice the difference!
These paleo snowball cookies are the perfect winter treat. They are soft on the inside and studded this delicious crunchy pecans. On the outside, they are dusted with homemade powdered sugar. They look so pretty and would go very nicely alongside other paleo cookies for a holiday cookie platter.
Homemade powdered sugar is very easy to make from unrefined coconut sugar. All you need is a food processor and a fine-mesh sieve!
These cookies would be perfect to bring to your next holiday party, or whip up a batch to enjoy throughout the week with afternoon tea. You can omit the pecans to make this treat free of nuts. Maple sugar would make a very nice paleo powdered sugar as well.
If you can tolerate grass-fed butter, it is very nice in these cookies because the slightly caramelized flavor of the butter plays very well off the nutty pecan flavor. However, these would still be scrumptious made with melted extra-virgin coconut oil. Ghee would work well, too.
Paleo Snowball CookiesPrint
Powdered Coconut Sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a large baking sheet with a bit of butter or coconut oil.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl and mix in the coconut sugar and butter or coconut oil.
- Stir in the pecans, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, salt, and baking soda. Let sit a minute to set up. If the dough is still runny, you may add an extra tablespoon of coconut flour.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Powdered Coconut Sugar:
- Combine the coconut sugar and arrowroot in a food processor.
- Process until powdery.
- Sift through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Sift again, this time over the cookies so they get all dusted with powdered coconut sugar.