When you’re trying to eat real, whole foods, it can make you feel a little left out sometimes. Those MSG-coated Buffalo wings and that Velveeta-ridden chip dip at parties aren’t so fun anymore. If you make this bacon queso dip though, you won’t be left feeling like a party pooper.
I’m a huge fan of chip dip. My lunch basically consists of guacamole and some tortilla chips every day. This queso dip is one of my favorites. It’s creamy, bacony, and delicious without needing to resort to Velveeta.
I grew up in a typical American household, so I was no stranger to Velveeta and other junk foods. At the time, they tasted delicious. But now that I’ve had the real thing I could never go back. Once you’ve made the switch, you realize the quality and depth of flavor with real food is head over heels better than any junk food version.
Even if your friends or family aren’t on the real food bandwagon, they’ll still love this bacon queso dip. It doesn’t have that characteristic healthy taste like some dishes, so they won’t even know the difference. And of course, who can say no to bacon?
This recipe is inspired by this one. The secret to successfully getting a creamy dip with real cheese is to use a binder. This keeps the cheese from getting stringy or oily. You may be tempted to skip the step with the arrowroot and egg, but don’t do it!
- 1 Tbsp . arrowroot powder
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups organic half and half
- 8 oz . grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz . cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chives, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3-4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 in can of bpa free tomatoes drained, preferably glass
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup whisk together the arrowroot, egg yolk and 1 Tbsp of the half and half until smooth. You can also use a blender.
- Add the rest of the half and half, the cream cheese, spices and garlic to the blender and pulse until smooth, about 20 seconds total. Don't overmix this or your half and half will start to turn to butter!
- Pour the half and half mixture into a saucepan and add the cheese. Stir over medium heat until smooth and creamy.
- Add the tomatoes, chives and crumbled bacon. Top with additional chives before serving if desired.
- Serve warm. This dip tastes best if the flavors are allowed to meld in the fridge for 24 hours before eating.