Several times a month we have enchiladas since they’re popular with the whole family. It’s a fast and yummy weekday dish, but these gluten free slow cooker enchiladas make it even easier.
I’m a big fan of lime paired with chicken and these flavors taste especially good in an enchilada. Add a little tomato and some cheese and we’re in business. And of course you can’t have enchiladas without enchilada sauce. I chose a green enchilada sauce for these because I think it highlights the flavors of the lime even better.
The tricky part about creating a gluten free enchilada recipe, is in the tortilla. A traditional flour tortilla is nice and flexible so it’s easy to roll. Unfortunately, most gluten free tortillas don’t hold up well to rolling. Udi’s sells a gluten free brand that supposedly holds up well and doesn’t crack.
The corn tortillas still taste yummy, but they will fall apart more when served. You can even use a homemade, thin paleo flatbread. My favorite uses a blend of almond meal and arrowroot powder and is incredibly soft and flexible.
Since these are made in the slow cooker they have a slightly different texture than the traditional baked version. The slow cooker version is much softer and doesn’t get the browned cheese on top, but it’s just as delicious. It’s also nice for those hot summer days where you don’t want to heat the whole house up with the oven!
The lime in this lends phenomenal flavor, but it also tenderizes the chicken. I mentioned we have enchiladas about once a week, but these have to be my new favorites. I couldn’t stop eating them they were so good!
One other note about the lime. If you have a high speed blender, like a Vitamix or Blendtec, then you can easily puree the whole lime. There’s oodles of nutrition in the white fleshy part of citrus fruits, so I try to always include it in my recipes. It does give the end product a teensy bit more of a bitter flavor, but it’s not super noticeable at all. You also get the full flavor profile that adds so much more depth to the dish in my opinion.
Gluten-free Slow Cooker Enchiladas
- Grease the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with coconut oil and turn on high
- Cut the stem ends off of the lime and throw it in a high speed blender with the yogurt. Blend until smooth, about 45 seconds. If you don't have a blender, then zest the lime, then juice. Stir the zest and juice into the yogurt.
- In a bowl combine the yogurt sauce, chicken, salt, chili powder, onion and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Fill each tortilla shell with about 1/3 cup of the chicken filling, roll it and place seam side down in your slow cooker. I fit 8 tortillas in mine. You can also double the recipe and stack the enchiladas two layers high if desired.
- Pour the sauce on top of the enchiladas, put the lid on and cook on high for 2-3 hours. You can also cook it on low for 4 hours.
- During the last 15 minutes of cook time, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and let it cook with the lid on.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings!