Gluten-free Buttermilk Biscuits

I’ll admit that I was dragging my feet when it came to using Cassava flour. I was like, uggggg, another flour to learn.

However, I knew it was time to get all up in it and I’ve discovered that it is seriously super close to traditional wheat flours. It has a 1 to 1 ratio!

What a mistake it was avoiding it because now I can pull out some of my old wheat flour recipes and enjoy them again. Anyhow, I made these biscuits over on 20 Dishes’ Facebook page and you can watch the video here.

WARNING:

Cassava flour brands vary considerably.  I created this recipe using this Cassava Flour.  When I tried to recreate it as written with another brand it DID NOT come our right and needed to be adjusted.

Even then, the flavor and texture were subpar.  For this reason, I only recommend this Cassava Flour

Gluten-free Buttermilk Biscuits

1. reheat the oven to 350 Degrees. Line a Baking Sheet (https://20dishes.com/ss-baking-sheet) with A Silicone Mat (https://20dishes.com/S-mat)
  2. In a mixing bowl add the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon.
  3. Add in the butter and work it into crumbs with your hands until the texture resembles crumbs. Then add in the egg and milk and mix with a spoon until you have a fluffy dough.
  4. Grab your baking sheet and either make drop biscuits or use the Wonder Cup (https://20dishes.com/wc) and make perfectly portioned biscuits).
  5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.

1. Jessica Olejniczak May 22, 2017 at 10:20 am

Can I use almond milk and add the T of vinegar?

2. Argo Naut Jason February 18, 2018 at 7:10 am

Interesting recipe. Thanks. I have almost all of the ingredients with one exception: no Cassava Flour. I do, however, have Tapioca Starch/Flour. Can this be substituted for Cassava?

1. Kelly Bejelly February 18, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Nope, it’s not the same thing hun.

3. Robyn February 19, 2018 at 5:49 am

Are you saying Anthony’s Cassava = 20Dishes Cassava? I can’t find a “20Dishes Cassava like in the heading – I created this recipe using 20 Dishes Cassava Flour.
    I have Anthony’s and love it, so hopefully that’s what you are referring to 🙂
    Thanks for all your dedication to this craft of eating well!

4. Nicole September 1, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Hi Kelly, I am very confused by (1) Within body of this recipe you said “Cassava flour brands vary considerably. I created this recipe using 20 Dishes Cassava Flour” the link is not a brand of flour. (2) Under the ingredients list; “2 1/4 cups Cassava Flour which linked to Amazon website for “Cassava Flour by Anthony’s, 2 pounds (32 Ounce)” (3) Your reply to Robyn’s comment on April 16, 2018 at 8:54 am stated “I would recommend this flour and this is what I used https://www.hearthyfoods.com/products/copy-of-apple-flour whick linked to different brand “Hearthy foods Cassava flour”
    Please give clarification on which brand you actually used because you alert the reads with all cap WARNING: “When I tried to recreated it as written with another brand it DID NOT come our right ..”

1. Kelly Bejelly September 7, 2018 at 9:02 am

Thank you for catching that. I just updated it to the correct link.