Homemade Bleach Alternative

Sharing is caring!

When you are wanting to clean and disinfect your home, you will want a product that does the job quickly and easily. Many will turn to a liquid bleach or other harsh chemical for toilets, counter tops and floors.

But, is bleach safe? Actually, it’s not. According to the EWG website,  Clorox Bleach scores an “F” due to it’s toxic ingredients. This is mainly due to the “proprietary” chemicals. The things they don’t need to tell you about.

  • Bleach also can cause respiratory issues, even from the fumes. They should never be inhaled.
  • Bleach mixed with other chemcials, such as ammonia, can cause highly toxic fumes that can harm people, pets and the environment.
  • Bleach can burn the skin.
  • Bleach can cause damage to the nervous system.
  • Every year, ¼ of the calls to Poison Control are from accidental ingestion of bleach, or products containing bleach. Many of them are from small children, and are potentially fatal.

That should make you take a second glance at how you clean your home.

So, what’s a good alternative that will clean, disinfect, and leave a fresh smell? Lemon essential oil is the one I turn to. Made from the peels of lemons, the oil is perfectly safe to use around your home. There are no known harmful effects for children or pets, making it perfect to use anywhere. Lemons are widely known for their antibacterial and cleansing properties. Using the essential oil in this natural bleach alternative will keep your home sparkly fresh and clean!

1 ½ cups hydrogen peroxide

½ cup lemon juice (from the bottle)

40 drops Lemon Essential Oil

water to fill

glass gallon jar (available at your local deli or bakery, usually free just by asking)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Pour peroxide, lemon juice, and lemon essential oil into the glass jar.
  2. Fill the rest of the jug with distilled water and use as you would bleach.

You need to use glass for this, rather than plastic due to the essential oil. They can break down plastic containers and cause leaks. Store this in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *