Coconut oil is very versatile, with uses in cooking, for the skin and for the hair with very good benefits in every way. It nearly became forgotten in the West due to the advent of vegetable oils which came with heavy advertising against saturated fats. Now it has become clear that the type of saturated fats in coconut oil, the medium chain triglycerides, is exactly what we need for good health. Now coconut oil has become a super food and a super oil. Here are the 55 uses for coconut oil.
Cooking With Coconut Oil
- Use for baking, cooking, frying, etc. to replace liquid oils.
- Use for greasing pans and in pie crusts, etc. to replace butter and margarine.
- Melt and add to smoothies.
Personal Care Uses of Coconut Oil
- Toothpaste: Mix coconut oil with baking soda and some olive oil (to make it softer) and use that as your toothpaste.
- Makeup Remover: Put coconut oil on a cotton swab and wipe away your makeup.
- Moisturizer: Gently melt together 14 cup coconut oil, ½ cup shea butter, ¼ cup almond or jojoba oil, and 15 drops of essential oils. Apply that to the face. The essential oils differ depending on whether you have acne or you want deep moisturizing or you want to heal aging skin.
- Body lotion: Melt together gently, ½ cup coconut oil, ½ cup shea butter, ½ cup almond or olive or jojoba oil and a few drops of essential oil. Apply that to the whole body as a lotion.
- Eye cream: Apply coconut oil around the eyes to reduce puffiness, bags, and wrinkles.
- Lip balm: Gently melt together 1 tablespoon of beeswax, 2 tablespoons of shea butter, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, and 20 drops of your moisturizing essential oil.
- Deodorant: Mix coconut oil with cornstarch and baking soda. Apply that to daily.
- Preshave: Coconut oil protects the skin from damage during shaving.
- Aftershave: Coconut oil helps heal the skin after shaving without clogging pores.
- Hair Conditioner: Use as a leave in hair conditioner by applying a teaspoon of coconut oil to your ends and then running your fingers through your hair to distribute the rest!
- Deep hair treatment: Rub in a tablespoon of coconut oil onto your dry scalp and gently work through to the ends. Put a shower cap on to prevent transfer onto bed linens and leave on overnight.
- Hair Gel/Defrizzer: Rub some coconut oil between your palms and either scrunch into hair (for curly hair) or finger comb in through from scalp to ends (for wavy/straight hair).
16: Lubricant: Coconut oil is an all natural, perfectly safe personal lubricant but it not compatible with latex.
- Massage Oil: Add almond oil and a few drops of essential oil and you have massage oil.
- Sunscreen: Coconut oil is a natural sunscreen with SPF of 4-5. Mix ½ cup coconut oil with 1 tablespoon raspberry seed oil with SPF of about 25 and 2 tablespoons of natural zinc oxide. Essential oil is optional.
- Body scrub: Mix coconut oil and sugar together, rub all over and rinse off. Your skin will be super soft!
- Stretch Mark Cream: Coconut oil nourishes damaged skin and reduces the damage.
- Nipple Cream: Apply coconut oil on a cotton ball to cracked, sore, or dry nipples, and leave on your nipples between feedings.
- Diaper salve: Coconut oil is comforting and safe for the diaper area.
- Cradle cap: If your baby’s scalp is dry on the rub coconut oil.
- Healing: Coconut oil speeds up the healing of bruises, cuts and scrapes.
- Skin problems: Coconut oil relieves skin problems such as psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema.
- Bug Bites: Apply directly to a bug bite to stop the itching and burning sensation and hasten the healing process.
- Digestion: Coconut oil has anti-bacterial properties that help control, parasites, and fungi in the gut. It also aids in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- Stress Relief: The natural aroma of coconuts is extremely soothing thus helping to lower your stress level. Apply to the head in a circular massaging motion.
29: Milk supply: Breastfeeding moms can take 3 ½ tablespoonfuls of coconut oil daily to increase milk supply.
- Fitness: Coconut oil stimulates your metabolism, improves thyroid function, and escalates energy levels, all of which help decrease your unwanted fat, while increasing muscle.
- Weight loss: It controls cravings.
- Diabetes: it helps to maintain stable blood sugar levels.
Coconut Oil assists the Following Health Problems When Taken Internally
- Eczema: In addition to taking it internally, many have success applying it externally, some don’t.
- Toenail fungus.
- Hot flashes.
- Bleeding hemorrhoids (can also be applied externally twice a day).
- Flaky dry skin.
- Pain/cramps and heavy blood flow during menstruation.
- Migraines (with regular use).
- Alzheimer’s disease.
- Candida albicans.
- Acid reflux and indigestion.
- Gallbladder pain.
- Symptoms of an underactive thyroid gland, normalizing thyroid function.
- Adrenal fatigue.
- Herpes (applied topically and taken internally).
- Inflammation due to Crohn’s disease.
- Mental clarity.
- Immune system strengthened.
- Asthma, even in children.
- Cholesterol – improves HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) to HDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) ratio in people with high cholesterol.
- Chronic fatigue.
- Circulation/feeling cold all the time.
- Energy boost.