This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Obesity is a serious disease and impacts roughly 40% of the U.S. adult population — approximately 93 million people. The health risks of those who are obese involve heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and even certain types of cancer. Thankfully, by adhering to a strict and healthy diet, it’s entirely possible to at least fight back against many of these health concerns and get back to a healthy weight.
The Mediterranean diet, for instance, is great for protecting against type 2 diabetes and improving glycemic control. This diet offers a beneficial fatty acid profile, which is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and high in monounsaturated fatty acids, with a balanced omega-6 to omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid ratio. All that might sound a little confusing, but fear not — the Mediterranean diet involves lots of healthy and delicious foods.
Here are all the foods you can eat while adhering to the Mediterranean diet:
- Fruits — Stone fruits, berries, bananas, citrus, and so much more fruit options are perfect for Mediterranean meals.
- Vegetables — Mediterranean dishes involve plenty of veggies and you can have as many different kinds and as much as you want!
- Eggs — Eggs are a great source of protein, especially for dieters who are trying to strictly eat vegetarian Mediterranean options.
- Olive Oils — Just about every Mediterranean dish is lathered in healthy and tasty olive oil.
- Whole Grains — Mediterranean grains like couscous and bulgur are great, but traditional grains like rice, pasta, and bread are acceptable, too.
- Poultry — If you love chicken, turkey, etc., you don’t have to give up those foods while adhering to this popular diet.
- Herbs and spices — There are so many herbs and spices involved with these meals, including sage, parsley, rosemary, dill, basil, thyme, and more!
If you’ve been looking for a way to get much healthier without sacrificing the quality of your meals — the Mediterranean diet might be perfect for you to try. Good luck with your diet and enjoy as much as you can!