This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on October 18, 2020
In this review, we’re going to look at the five best mattresses that do not contain fiberglass. We’ll unpack why you don’t need a fiberglass mattress in your life, and our recommendations for your top choice.
We expect that fiberglass is the last material you would think manufacturers use to construct a mattress. Fiberglass is a type of reinforced plastic made from natural minerals and synthetic chemicals. Some mattress manufacturers use fiberglass in the construction of beds so they can meet industry fire regulations.
The Best Fiberglass-Free Mattress Buyer’s Guide
Before we get into the five best fiberglass-free mattresses, let’s discuss why you don’t need a fiberglass mattress in your life.
Manufacturers weave the fiberglass into the mattress, and it’s challenging to identify it with the naked eye. However, fiberglass mattresses can cause issues with inflammatory responses in children and adults. The presence of fiberglass acts as an irritant on the skin and airways, causing discomfort.
Poorly manufactured fiberglass mattresses can result in fiberglass threads entering the air inside your home. These particles enter the air, causing mass amounts of irritation with the skin and lungs of you and your family.
Quick Lineup: Full Reviews Below
What Mattresses Do I Avoid?
Make sure you avoid mattresses with manufacturing terms like “glass wool” or “glass-fiber” in the product description. Other harmful substances found in these types of mattresses include.
- Antimony – A toxic heavy metal used as a flame retardant.
- Modacrylic – A carcinogenic flame retardant material
- Formaldehyde – This toxic volatile organic chemical (VOC) is present in many adhesives used in mattress manufacturing.
Foam Mattresses and FR Fire Socks
All-foam mattresses must come with an FR fire sock. You could have the best memory foam mattress, but if it comes with a fiberglass FR fire sock, you’re wasting your time. Fiberglass FR fire socks act in the same way as fiberglass sidewalls on mattresses.
Eventually, these fire socks send fiberglass particles into the air that get around your entire home. Your family will unknowingly interact with these fiberglass shards, causing health issues to start popping up.
When choosing your mattress, it’s vital that you go with a model that includes an organic FR fire sock.
What to Look for When Buying a New Mattress?
When selecting your new mattress, check the product label. If you’re buying online, look at the product description and reviews.
Check the labels for the components used in the manufacturing of the fire barrier. With organic mattresses, you’re looking for fire barriers made from wool. Quality certifications are important to consider when selecting your new mattress.
Look for the following gold-standard certifications for your mattress
- USDA Organic – The mattress features up to 95% organic materials
- Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) – The mattress contains up to 95% organic materials
- Global Organic Textile Standard- The mattress contains up to 70% organic fibers
As mentioned, VOCs like formaldehyde can cause serious health issues if included with your mattress construction. Look for the following health certifications regarding the control of these compounds during your mattress’s manufacturing process.
- OEKO-TEX Standard100 – Harmless to humans in ecological terms
- CertiPUR-US – Foams in the mattress are free of VOCs
- Eco-Institut – Mattress evaluated for low pollutants and emissions in the manufacturing process
- GREENGUARD (GOLD) – Meets strict guidelines and testing for chemical emissions
What are the Red Flags to Look for When Purchasing a Mattress?
When purchasing your mattress, treat the following as red flags to avoid the purchase.
Cheap – If the mattress is below $400, chances are it’s not going to contain the best materials. Cheap beds rely on affordable materials like glass wool to bring down the cost of the product.
Made in China – China offers plenty of cost advantages to the manufacturer at the expense of your health.
Memory foam/polyfoam construction – Real memory foam is expensive. In most cases, the manufacturer will advertise the mattress as a memory foam product. Still, it contains poly foam – which may feature fiberglass and construction with other inferior-quality design materials.
Look for Latex or Memory Foam Mattresses
Latex comes from the rubber tree. It’s an organic material that’s popular in the design and manufacture of modern mattresses. Latex provides a comfortable and firm sleeping surface that contours to your body shape and body weight, providing excellent support.
There are various types of latex available for mattresses.
- Certified Organic Latex
- Natural Latex
- Latex Blends
- Synthetic latex
Certified organic latex is the best option for your mattress, but natural latex is a close second. Natural latex provides a dense, impenetrable surface. As a result, dust mites can’t burrow into the material like they do in a spring mattress.
Did you know that after 10-years of use, a spring mattress doubles its weight? This addition of weight comes from all the dead skin, mite feces, and dust accumulate in the bed.
Memory foam is a popular option for your new mattress. Make sure you go with new-age memory foams that feature gel infusion. Older-model memory foam mattresses have issues with heat dispersion through the foam layers, creating “hot-spots” on the bed.
The new gel-infused memory foam mattresses absorb body heat, moving it to the edges of the mattress. The mattress will often feature holes through the top layers of the mattress, providing better airflow to your skin on warm nights.
What are the Advantages of Using Fiberglass Free Mattresses?
- No Allergies or adverse health reactions to fiberglass particles
- Better sleep with no irnatritation
- FR certification without the use of low-quality materials
- No interaction with dangerous VOCs
- Environmentally-friendly choice
The Best Mattress that do not contain Fiberglass Reviews
- 100% CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Every component has been certified by GOTS as organic or non-toxic
- COMFORT: Breathable organic wool and encased coils promote airflow for a cooler, less sweaty sleep
- CHEMICAL FREE: No flame retardants or adhesives. GREENGUARD GOLD certified.
- CUSHION FIRM: Double layer coils: soft on top, firm and supportive on bottom. The perfect balance
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: Surface -organic cotton. Quilt - Organic wool/PLA. Fill - organic cotton batting.
This Naturepedic mattress features design and construction with proprietary adaptive foam that contours against your body.
The responsive foam provides pressure relief where you need it, making it a good choice for side and back sleepers.
The new adaptive foam is the superior choice over outdated latex and memory foam technology.
The open-cell memory foam provides better comfort, improved response, and enhanced airflow throughout the mattress layers.
The foam comes infused with graphite and gel beads, drawing your body heat away from the sleeping surface, and outwards the sides of the bed. There are no hot-spots, and no problem breathing through the plush fabric cover.
This model comes with a 10-year guarantee and GreenGuard Gold Certification along with CertiPUR-US certification on the foam. These mattresses feature third-party testing to ensure they contain no harmful VOCs or chemicals.
- Made in-house without any glues or adhesives
- Support layer for a firm feel
- Available in Twin, Queen, King,
Brentwood Home Cypress Luxe
- COOL CHARCOAL MEMORY FOAM: Charcoal is full of beneficial properties that are perfect for mattresses, like temperature and moisture control. Plus, charcoal is completely natural. The all-new 2020 Cypress Memory Foam mattress is charcoal-infused, so while the bed has plush contouring comfort, it is also super breathable. The charcoal-infused foam works hard to move moisture and heat away from your body, so all you do is stay dry, cool, and comfortable — all night long.
- 11” CLASSIC OR 13” LUXE: The 11-inch-thick Classic mattress has ample support and is suitable for most sleepers. Upgrade to the 13-inch Luxe version for increased pressure relief and plush comfort. It’s ideal for couples, heavier individuals, or side-sleepers or others who need a thicker mattress with more support from the two extra inches of charcoal-infused memory foam.
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Fiberglass free. Greenguard Gold Certified nontoxic and low VOC. Made with CertiPUR-US foams free of flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates.
- PERFECTLY BALANCED COMFORT: Great for side, back, and stomach sleepers or partners with different preferences.
- QUALITY GUARANTEED: Made in USA. 25 Year Limited Warranty. Mattress comes compressed and rolled in a box for easy shipping and setup.
The Brentwood Home Cyprus Luxe mattress comes with hybrid or all-foam construction. We love the all-foam mattress, featuring design and construction with charcoal-infused memory foam for a cooling effect.
The charcoal draws out moisture and body-heat away from the sleeping surface, keeping you cool and dry while you sleep. The patented BioFoam with charcoal infusion provides plenty of support, making it a good choice for both back and side sleepers.
The 13-inch luxe version comes with an additional 2-inch layer of BioFoam for a luxurious, plush finish providing plenty of support to your shoulders and hips.
The BioFoam used in the Brentwood Cyprus features eco-friendly ratings. It’s certified nontoxic with GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US certification for VOC-free foams containing no formaldehyde, flame retardants, heavy metals or phthalates.
You get a 25-year limited warranty with this bed, and a plush, washable cover that’s easy to remove. The Brentwood Home Cypress Luxe memory foam mattress comes ready to unbox, roll it onto your bed, and watch it decompress. It’s safe to sleep on the mattress while it’s decompressing.
- All-foam construction
- Available in 11-inch or 13-inch luxe models
- GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US certification
- BioFoam provides cool sleeping experience with optimal airflow
- Natural latex king mattress top layer adopts Talalay Latex technology, a healthier manufacturing process without gellation reagents in its formula, combines with our strict purity standards to ensure that you rest peacefully on your new mattress from the very first night. There are no off-putting smells or irritants, and no need to wait days for your mattress to "air out" . Mattress King Size Dimension: 80"X76"X8"
- Classic Independently Pocket Spring Mattress adopts 2.0 mm gauge encased coil spring in the middle of mattress for better blood circulation by relieving numb muscle and pain in joints to have an orthopedic effect on the back, waist and shoulders. Altogether 1056 Premium pocket coils work independently to alleviate motion disturbance which means you won't be woken up when your companion moves in the bed.
- Hybrid firm mattress draw from natural organic latex and innerspring mattress components to offer a balanced sleep experience for many individuals. This provides not only comfortable cushioning and close conforming for targeted pressure relief, but also offers strong edge support and a flat, even sleep surface that helps reduce aches and pains.
- Latex hybrid coil spring king mattress adopts Cashmere Wool as the mattress cover, certificated by OeKo-Tex Standard-100, with CFR1633 flame retardant cotton that is in line with the United States 1633 fire retardant standards of fire cotton to protect against fire.
- Shipping & Return: King Size Mattresses are compressed and rolled in a Box shipping to your door, 120 Day Free Returned, No risk and shipping costs or other. (No, you don’t have to squeeze it back in the box.)
This 8-inch Sunrising Bedding hybrid mattress is a great choice for the spare bedroom or the kids. This lightweight mattress is easy to move around and comes with a hybrid design.
On the base of the mattress, you have individually-wrapped, coiled springs providing plenty of firm support to the sleeping surface. The top 2-inch layer of latex firm meets GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US certifications free from VOCs, fiberglass, and harmful chemicals.
With the latex layer, you get a mattress topper with hundreds of tiny hokes going through the mattress to provide improved airflow to the sleeping surface. The result is a refreshing sleep experience without the development of hot pockets underneath you.
The Sunrising 8-inch model features a nontoxic fire-retardant cotton layer, with a cashmere wool mattress cover for stain resistance and easy cleaning.
Overall, the Sunriring Bedding 8-inch mattress is a great choice for the kids or guests. You get a comfortable and responsive sleeping surface, with an affordable price tag.
- Hybrid design for lightweight functionality
- Aerated top memory foam layer for improved air circulation
- Cashmere wool cover for soft, plush finish and easy cleaning
- 100% Natural Latex Foam - No Poly Foam, No Synthetic Latex Foam, No Blended Latex Foam
- Quilted Cover Made of Organic Cotton and Organic New Zealand Wool - Designed, Sewn, Assembled and Packaged in our Chicago Factory
- Medium Firmness - 6” 34 ILD Natural Latex Foam - 2” 20 ILD Natural Latex Foam - Organic Wool Padding
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified by UL - No Fire Retardant Chemicals or Barrier Cloths
- No Assembly Required - Simply place the mattress on your bed frame, unroll the plastic wrap, and your mattresses will spring to life!
The Pure Green natural latex mattress is a great choice for your bedroom. This model comes with a complete latex design, with no springs. It’s a bit heavier than most hybrid designs, and the latex foam has a firmer feel to it than most memory foam models.
However, the latex mattress provides excellent response and comfort. The firmer feel of the mattress still offers plenty of support, making it a good choice for both back and side sleepers. The Pure Green Latex Mattress comes in a compressed box, and you can set it up on your mattress frame in seconds.
Let the mattress decompress over 48-hours. However, you can sleep on the mattress without damaging it during the decompression process.
The quilted cover in this model features design and construction with New Zealand wool and organic cotton for additional airflow and breathability. There is no assembly required with this mattress. It comes ready to roll out on your bed stand, straight out of the box.
The Pure Green Latex Mattress features organic wool padding to ensure optimal user comfort and a night of relaxing sleep. The Latex topper features airflow holes to improve the circulation of air around the sleeping surface, keeping you dry.
- Natural latex mattress for superior comfort
- Medium firmness with a six on the firmness scale
- GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US certification
- Proven: Over a million people choose us every night. In fact, 95% of our customers keep and love their T&N Original Mattress, Featuring our own proprietary T&N Adaptive foam, the Original Mattress is universally comfortable for all sleeping positions
- Proprietary foam: Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that adjusts to you as you move throughout the night
- Cool sleeping: Our foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam, the T&N Adaptive foam helps pull away heat with cooling graphite and gel beads, wrapped in our breathable plush cover to help keep you cool and comfortable
- Free of harmful chemicals: Our mattresses GREENGUARD Gold and CertiPUR-US certified, this means our beds are held to the highest of standards and are third party tested and certified to free of harmful chemicals, substances or materials
- Questions: We pride ourselves on customer service and urge you to reach out to us directly if you have any questions at any point, our expert customer service team will be available to help you through any hesitations, problems or questions you may have
This T&N model is the queen-sized version of the previous T&N model reviewed earlier. Both these T&N mattresses feature the same design and construction without any harmful fiberglass materials.
These mattresses come in 8-inch and 10-inch versions, with the 120-inch version providing a plush sleeping experience while the 8-inch is a little firmer. You get the same graphite-infused, gel-bead adaptive foam in this queen-sized model.
The T&N original mattress is a fantastic choice for the home or guest mattress in the pool house or guest room. You get free shipping, hassle-free returns, and the mattress ships to your door, ready for unboxing.
Expansion takes around 24 to 36-hours for the mattress to decompress. However, you can sleep on it while it is decompressing, without damaging the mattress. The adaptive foam in the T&N original mattress makes it a great option at an affordable price point.
- Graphite-infused gel-bead memory foam for a cool sleeping experience
- Easy unboxing and setup with 24-hours for decompression
- GreenGuard Gold and CertPUR-US certified
Overall, we have to go with the Brentwood Home Cypress Luxe memory foam mattress. This model wins our best overall mattress thanks to the charcoal-infused memory foam providing maxim heat-wicking and airflow through the mattress. This model comes in a 13-inch configuration for the comfiest sleeping surface, and no VOCs or harmful materials used in its construction.
The Brentwood Home Cypress Luxe memory foam mattress is an excellent choice for any sleeping position. You get a soft-knit cover with CertiPUR-US and GreenGuard Gold certification on this mattress. This model ranks six on the firmness scale, making it a good choice for individuals who like a comfortable, but firm sleeping surface from their mattress.