This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
There are several ways to safeguard the water supply to your home. In this Berkey Water Filter Review post, we’ll look at the benefits of gravity water filters. The Berkey Water Filter is our top choice for keeping the drinking water in our home safe.
With infrastructure across the United States failing at a rapid rate, you can’t trust the water supply anymore – just ask the residents of Flint, Michigan. Owning a water filter is a prudent way for homeowners to mitigate the risks of their families consuming contaminated water.
Stop harmful particles, pathogens, and heavy metals from entering your drinking water. Let’s unpack why we think you’ll benefit from including the Berkey Water Filter in your kitchen.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Berkey Water Filter
The Berkey water filter suits homes where the family consumes plenty of drinking water throughout the day. If you’re worried about the taste of the water around your neighborhood recently – you probably have cause for concern. Many of America’s suburbs and towns are suffering from the effects of failing infrastructure.
The water system around your town could be failing, and the government would probably be the last organization to tell you about the issue. Taking the initiative to safeguard your water supply is what any good parent or homeowner would do to protect their family’s health.
You need a filter that can remove all the toxins from your drinking water. Water filters come in a range of models, with most of them relying on a connection to your water mains. However, if you experience low water pressure, the system might not operate efficiently.
What Is the Berkey Water Filter?
The Berkey water filter is a gravity-fed filtration system that doesn’t rely on a pressurized system to filter your drinking water. The Berkey purification system looks like a long steel cylinder measuring about a foot and a half in height, with a small footprint.
This gravity-fed filter means that it uses gravitational forces for the process. The water moves from the inlet chamber in the top of the filter, through the filtration unit. After filtering, the water collects in the reservoir at the bottom of the housing.
This water filter has no moving parts, gravity does the work, and you get clean water from the process.
The Berkey Water Filter is the ideal choice for anyone living an off-grid lifestyle. It’s an excellent option for camping and rough-living, where you don’t have access to running water, and need to filter outdoor water sources from cisterns or other collection areas.
While the Berkey is a great option for off-grid living, it’s also suitable for your average suburban home. The Berkey has an attractive stainless steel design that looks great in the kitchen. The stainless steel design is sturdy, and you don’t have to worry about plastic cracking if there’s an accidental drop.
Features & Benefits of the Berkey Water Filter
When unboxing your Berkey Water Filter, you get the stainless-steel housing, two black water filter cartridges, and two fluoride filters. Let’s unpack the benefits and features of the Berkey Water Filter.
Gravity Fed Filtration
The Berkey is a gravity-fed water filtration system. That means that you pour the water in the top of the filter housing, and gravity pulls it through the filter, collecting in a reservoir for use. The gravity-fed design is the best option for people living off-grid, without access to running water.
Other reverse osmosis systems plug directly into the incoming water supply in your home. Therefore, when the water pressure gets low, they stop operating efficiently. However, you don’t get this problem with a gravity-fed system like the Berkey.
Effective and Efficient Membrane
The secret of the Berkey is the filter membrane. This multi-layer membrane’s design and construction ensure it removes up to 99.9% of all pathogens, like viruses and bacteria. There’s no chance of you getting any water-borne disease in your drinking water, like E.coli.
The filter removes all the dangerous additives in drinking water supplies. Inorganic materials used in water treatment facilities, like chloramine, chloride, and lime, will all trap in the filter, giving you clean drinking water.
The filter removes heavy metals, including trace amounts of dangerous compounds like cadmium and mercury. It’s also effective at eliminating pharmaceutical compounds, pesticides, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
The most surprising feature of the Berkey filter is its uncanny ability to remove the “rotten egg smell” in water contaminated with sulfur. The Berkey removes the sulfur particles, cleaning it into healthy drinking water.
The filter membrane in the Berkey is so efficient and effective that it can remove food coloring from water. You don’t have to worry about any contaminants in your water supply. The Berkey is a powerful, effective, and affordable freshwater solution for your home or campsite.
Long Service Life
If you and your family are fit and healthy and drink plenty of water, the standard Berkey Filter might not be enough to meet your demands. Healthy individuals can drink up to a gallon of water a day, and you need a water filter that meets your hydration needs.
The Big Berkey is the solution to solve the thirst of the largest families. This model comes with dual filters for a fast filtering process and a 3,000-gallon filter lifespan. With the Big Berkey, you get flow rates of up to 7-gallons per hour and the same stainless steel construction as the regular Berkey water filter.
You get two filters included with your purchase. The Berkey’s stainless steel housing holds up to 2.25-gallons of purified water, which is enough water for four to 16-people, depending on your usage.
The Berkey comes with a fluoride filter that allows you to remove fluoride from the drinking water. The fluoride filter is suitable for filtering up to 1,000-gallons between changes.
Durable, Robust Housing
The Berkey water filter comes with a 304 stainless-steel housing that’s robust and durable. Knocking over the water filter won’t damage it, and it’s resistant to knocks and bumps from other appliances.
The housing measures 19.25-inches in height, with a footprint that’s 8.5-inches in diameter. The housing is lightweight, and despite its construction with stainless steel, weighs less than 10-lbs.
What are People Saying about the Berkey Water Filter
I’ve owned the Royal Berkey for 10 years and we love it. My only complaint to that you really need a stand to make it easier to dispense water. We personally own this one.
“The Berkey Water Filter makes it easy to stay hydrated while I’m studying. It’s in my dorm room, and my roommate shares it with me – we love it!”
Katherine C. – Brigham Young, UT.
“I have a Berkey in my home, and it’s the only way I trust the water I drink. Drinking a glass of tap water is like gambling with your health.”
David R. – Orlando, FL.
“The Berkey is a must-have, I don’t know what my family would do without it.”
Michelle V. – Orange County, CA.
What are the Pros of the Berkey Water Filter?
- Gravity-fed filtration system suitable for off-grid use
- Efficient at removing up to 99.98% of all particles
- Can filter rainwater and other groundwater sources
- Removes microorganisms and sulfur smells from water
- Sturdy stainless steel design
- Lifetime warranty on the housing and 2-years on the filter parts
- Great customer service
What are the Cons of the Berkey Water Filter?
- Stainless steel housing has no viewing window
- Heavier than plastic models
- Challenging setup and more maintenance than a reverse osmosis system
- Really need a stand to access the water easily. I recommend this one.
Who Should Consider Purchasing the Berkey Water Filter?
- People who live off-grid and collect water
- If you live in an area with boil-water advisories in place
- If you live in a state or city with questionable water quality
- If you rely on well-water
- If you use lots of bottled water and want to save money
- If you want a water source in a grid-down scenario
- 3.25 GALLON CAPACITY- The portable Royal Berkey Purification System effortlessly purifies water for about 2-4 people each day. Add additional Black Berkey Purification Elements (the Royal Berkey System can hold a maximum of 4) to increase the flow rate. The system is just 23” tall and 9” in diameter.
- POWERFUL PURIFICATION- Berkey systems equipped with Black Berkey Purification Elements purify water—not just filter it—by removing greater than 99.999% of viruses and greater than 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria, while also removing or dramatically reducing protozoa (such as giardia and cryptosporidium), trihalomethanes, inorganic minerals, heavy metals (including arsenic, lead, mercury, chromium), pharmaceutical drugs (including caffeine, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Progesterone, Triclosan),
- ECONOMICAL, LONG-LASTING- A pair of Black Berkey Purification Elements lasts for up to 6,000 gallons before needing replacement. Each additional pair of elements (sold separately) adds an additional 6,000 gallons of purification power to your system. Black Berkey Purification Elements average just 2 cents per gallon of purified water.
- INDEPENDENT TESTING- Berkey by NMCL uses several independent third-party labs to test a broad range of potential contaminants and conducts Extreme Testing for lead and PFCs in order to show the effectiveness of our Black Berkey Purification Elements.
- DRINK CONFIDENTLY VIRTUALLY ANYWHERE- No electricity, tools or plumbing required. Travel the world, prepare for emergencies, and take control of your family’s everyday drinking water with your Berkey gravity-fed water filtration system with Black Berkey purification elements. Enjoy delicious, nourishing water from the leader in gravity-fed water solutions.
What are the Alternatives for the Berkey Water Filter?
Filtered Water on-the-go with the Go Berkey Kit
Berkey wants to ensure you have filtered water with you wherever you go. The Go Berkey Kit is your portable water filter, and it comes with a handy sport water bottle.
The Berkey Go comes with 1-quart storage capacity, producing up to a gallon of purified water – perfect for sports enthusiasts that need a water filter on a hiking trip.
The Berkey Water Filter is everything you need for a source of clean drinking water in your home. If the grid goes down, you lose water pressure, or there’s an issue with your water supply, the Berkey water filter can help you get through the worst until the water comes back.
This model removes up to 99.9% of all pathogens, particulate matter, and heavy metals from your drinking water. You don’t have to worry about local governments putting fillers like calcium, chlorine, and lime into your water anymore.
The Berkey water filter is an investment in your family’s health. Get pure, filtered water you can trust with the Berkey water filter in your home.