This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on January 18, 2018
A large number of e-cigarettes are available in the market today. These vaping devices have different colors, shapes and sizes. Although these e-cigs are not the same in visual look but they have similar parts. Being a vaper it is important for you to understand the anatomy of e-cigarette so that you could choose the right device and take good care of it. A simple vape device consists of three main components.
- The Tank
It holds the e-juice and provides connection with the mod. It is typically combined with the atomizer. The tank comes in different size, shapes and colors. These cartridges or tanks can be used many times but you have to clean the tank properly whenever you change the flavor of e-juice otherwise it is suggested to replace the tank.
- The Atomizer
It is the mid part of a vaping device that holds the tank and it is attached with battery on the other side. It has a heating element known as coil which heats up immediately right after the device is activated. The coil is used for vaporizing the e-juice. It converts the e-juice into vapor.
- How to prime your vape coil?
Priming a vape coil is a technique used to make sure that cotton inside the coil is completely soaked. This dampness will keep the wick safe from burning and overheating. Always follow the rule out with the old, in with the new. First of all remove the old coil and screw the new one. This will increase the griping for further usage. It also avoids e-juice from dropping on your hands. For priming a coil simply follow these steps:
- Soak the wicking material. On the top of coil’s head look for the juice hole. Take the bottle of e-liquid and add drop of vape juice in each and every hole to saturate the wick. Soak the cotton with the e-juice. For soaking the center of wick, add another drop in the hole. However, do not over-saturate the wick so that e-juice could not rush inside your mouth and also to avoid flooding.
- Taking dry hits. When you’ve filled the device properly, reassemble the tank first and then re-attach to the battery. Before triggering the ignition button of device battery, take some dry hits. Doing this will transfer the vape juice into the cotton of wick.
- Break-in the coil. When it comes to prime the coil, the most significant aspect is to soak the wick. Now it’s important to break in the new wire. After heating up the wire expands and contracts after cooling down so it’s better to break the wire slowly. For this purpose you should use new coil from lower wattage to normal. After few hits you should slowly increase the wattage to normal. Doing this will ensure your coil is properly primed with cotton.
- When you should change vape coil
Changing the coil is necessary after some time not to get burnt or dry taste. Coil has a great influence on the flavor so to get a better flavor you need to change the coil. There is nothing to tell about the cleaning of coil, just avoid wetting the coil. The coil will burn out if you wet it. The symptoms which tells us about the need of changing the coil are
- When the vape coil or wick has burned out.
- The e-juice flavor changes and you experience burnt taste.
- The vapor output decrease.
- Leakage issue.
- Changing the vape coil
Replacement of vape coil is easy and takes few minutes, but there are different types of vape devices in the market. To change the coil you have to follow these simple steps that fit for all vape devices.
- Separate the tank from the device.
- Clean the tank and remove the e-juice.
- Unscrew the old coil from the tank.
- Screw in the new coil.
- Put the tank back.
- The Battery
The rechargeable lithium battery powers the device and supplies charge to atomizer which in turn heats up. Battery is the main source to generate power so always use the battery carefully. Don’t use a damaged battery and keep in mind the safety precautions of using a battery. Always put the batteries in a right way if you put it wrongly the pins may get damaged. Each time you carry any spare batteries, keep them in a proper case because battery case will protect the wrapping of battery. If the wrapping is damaged the battery will be unsafe for using.
Temperature is important element for handling the battery. Keep the battery in modest temperature from 10 to 40 degree Celsius. If the battery gets warm remove it and let it to be cool down then use it again.
Another important element for your battery is charger. Always use the correct charger for your battery and a proper wall plug adopter. Changing multiple chargers and adopter for your battery may damage the battery, your battery get swollen and sometimes get burst. If you keep changing the charger and adopter the battery will be overloaded and will be damaged soon.
Take care of your charging device
Make sure that you use your equipment within its limit and capacity, so be sure what you are doing. Keep in mind the safety precautions and study Ohm’s law of vaping.
Properly charge you battery. Do not leave your battery unattended. Overcharging battery for long time or charging the battery when it’s completely flat will reduce the strength of battery. Use a quality charger for battery and avoid battery to get completely flat or overcharged.
Charge your battery at a lowest rate. Cool down your battery after using then charge it and inversely after charging cool down the battery before using it.
Handling tank screws and thread
Proper handling of your tank screws and thread is necessary for their long lasting life. For this purpose you have to handle it with care especially when you open or close the tank or when you attach tank mod with new kit. Read the instructions carefully before using any equipment. Attach the tank with soft hand, over tightening and keeping screw too loose can damage the tank. If the screw is too tight then it will not be able to use for a while and too loose will increase the risk of scratching and leading to other problems.
Everything needs proper care and maintenance. Maintenance is the key for long lasting usage of your vape device. For proper maintenance cleanliness is also necessary so to enjoy maximum flavor on every hit, always keep your vape device clean.
I hope after understanding the anatomy of e-cigarette and getting tips to take care of your device you can find the right e-cigarette of your choice and enjoy vaping.