This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on December 4, 2020
The perfect Gluten Free Pretzels that are soft, just like the ones at the ballpark! Grain-free, it’s made with Tapioca flour and coconut flour and is yeast-free.
I was trying to come up with an English muffin when I created this recipe. Luckily, when I tasted the cooked dough for the first time, I immediately thought of the soft pretzels that you get from the ball park.
For the best results with this recipe bake them, enjoy one or two, and then let them sit out on your counter top over night.
They develop that dryish, stale taste of store-bought pretzels. Well, at least, that is how I like them.
I made these with butter but you can use olive oil or coconut oil as a replacement. However, I’m primal and the butter gives them that same buttery taste of traditional soft pretzels.
Try these Soft Gluten Free Pretzels with mustard and you will be blown away!
What you’ll need for this Gluten Free Pretzels recipe
- Coconut oil
- Sea salt
- Apple cider vinegar
- Tapioca flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Coconut flour
How to make Gluten Free Pretzels
In a small pan melt over medium heat, add the water, butter, salt, and vinegar and bring to a boil.
Remove the pan from the heat and place on your counter top.
Add in the tapioca flour and stir for 2 minutes until you get a wet paste.
Add in the baking soda and powder and stir while the mixture foams – roughly 3 seconds.
Next add in the coconut flour and egg and mix well until you get a dough.
Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and knead for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If you are having issues getting it to combine, you can try putting it into a food processor or Blendtec/Vitamix to get it to form a dough.
Pinch of a 1″ – 2″ piece of dough and roll into a 1/2″ round by 6″ – 7″ log.
Twist into a pretzel shape and place on a piece of parchment on a baking sheet and brush with butter.
Sprinkle coarse salt on the surface and bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes.
Notes and Variations:
Update: I created a video tutorial to help with this recipe.
I have had numerous people try this recipe and it has been hit or miss. Some people can make this recipe as is and it comes out perfectly.
Some need to add more tapioca flour to get it work. Some need to use a food processor or a kitchen stand mixer to get the dough to come out.
There are a lot of factors that go into baking
1) your oven
2) your altitude and humidity and possibly even the flour you are using.
I only use Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca Flour in all of my baking. I would consider this recipe to be an advanced cooking level recipe and you will have to watch the video to make sure your dough looks similar to what I have shown.
Another tip: Read through the comments to see what others have done!
If you like this Soft Gluten Free Pretzels recipe, you’ll love:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
These Soft Gluten free Pretzels are chewy just like the ones you get at the ballpark
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 large egg
- First, please the video in the post before you start this recipe.
- In a small pan melt over medium heat, add the water, coconut oil, salt, and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place on your counter top.
- Add in the tapioca flour[ and stir for 2 minutes until you get a wet paste.
- Add in the baking soda and powder and stir while the mixture foams - roughly 3 seconds.
- Next add in the coconut flour[ and egg and mix well until you get a dough.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and knead for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If you are having issues getting it to combine, you can try putting it into a food processor or Blendtec/Vitamix to get it to form a dough.
- Pinch of a 1" - 2" piece of dough and roll into a 1/2" round by 6" - 7" log.
- Twist into a pretzel shape and place on a piece of parchment on a baking sheet and brush with melted ghee.
- Sprinkle coarse salt on the surface and bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 1404mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g