This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on November 28, 2020
Is cornbread gluten-free? This gluten-free cornbread is moist, delicious, and sure to be a hit. Perfect with a bowl of chili or just slathered with honey butter.
Nothing can beat a steaming bowl of chili in the autumn. Nothing maybe except a bowl of chili and a warm piece of savory, gluten free cornbread. You’ll think you’re down south once you taste this delicious concoction.
Most cornbread recipes rely on wheat flour to lend a moist, soft texture and balance out the courser feel of cornmeal. This recipe though uses a blend of white rice flour and cornmeal soaked in buttermilk for a rich, moist flavor.
The key here though is to make sure you cook it just long enough. Too long in the oven and your heavenly buttermilk cornbread will quickly turn into a gluten free rock. The middle should be just barely firm to the touch and the outside a light golden brown.
Below is a basic recipe, but you can add different herbs to it to make it your own.
Right now we have a lot of fresh thyme and rosemary in the garden that would taste great in this cornbread recipe. I also love making flavored butters to slather my buttermilk cornbread in. They taste delicious and are a snap to whip up! Here are a few ideas to get you started.
Gluten free Cornbread Butter suggestions
Honey butter – Combine 1 tablespoon local, raw honey with 1/3 cup softened grass fed butter and just a pinch of sea salt if using unsalted butter.
Rosemary sage butter– In a saucepan over low heat combine ½ cup grass fed butter with 1 Tbsp each dried and chopped rosemary and sage, or 2 Tbsps each if using fresh. Heat until hot, but not simmering and let the mixture infuse for about 5 minutes. Let the butter cool to room temperature. Stir to incorporate the herbs evenly throughout the butter and use generously as desired.
Garlic butter – In a small saucepan combine ½ cup grassfed butter with 1 smashed garlic clove. Heat until hot, but not simmering, and let the garlic clove infuse for 5-10 minutes. Discard garlic (or use in another recipe).
Pair this Gluten Free Cornbread recipe with:
This gluten-free cornbread recipe is homemade using real ingredients like buttermilk for the perfect texture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk all of the dry ingredients together, except the baking powder.
- Add the melted butter, buttermilk, eggs and honey, stirring well to combine.
- Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes before adding the baking powder.
- Bake in an 8x8 baking dish for about 25 minutes or until a light golden brown and the middle is just firm to the touch. I usually use a pie plate to make cornbread in and cut the pieces into wedges.
- Tip: If you're using very course cornmeal, throw the dry ingredients in a high powered blender first, like a Vitamix or Blendtec, for a smoother texture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 7g