Updated on

byKelly Bejelly

Coconut Flour chocolate brownies paleo

Every now and then I like to have a  paleo dessert and these are my go to for a rich, chocolaty cake-like coconut flour brownies.

This recipe came about when I wanted to make something extra special for Mr. Bejelly for Valentine’s.  We’re  a strange pair and rarely give each other gifts on holidays but pepper them throughout the year.     Coconut Flour is a tricky beast so after fussing about in the kitchen and creating many disasters, that did get eaten by the way, I hit the head on the nail in this paleo dessert recipe.

There is something about pairing coffee with chocolate that just brings out its deep rich undertones.  It’s an important ingredient so don’t skip it.   You can get creative if you like and switch out the applesauce with something fun like pureed apricots or cherries if you wanted to spice things up.

Coconut Flour chocolate brownies paleo

Coconut Flour Brownies

Servings: 8 people

1. First in a large bowl whisk together the coffee and cacao until you get a paste.
  2. Next add in the vanilla, melted butter, honey, applesauce and eggs and beat.
  3. Slowly start mixing in the coconut flour, baking soda and baking powder
  4. Then add in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into a greased 8″x 8″ pan
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes.

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• April 12, 2012 at 5:25 am

Wow, these look awesome! Question- is coconut flour expensive? Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• Author
      April 12, 2012 at 10:44 am

IF you were baking alot with it, it can be pretty expensive. You don’t really use very much because it sucks in moisture like crazy. For this reason, recipes will often have a lot of eggs or some other filler to make it work. If you can’t find it in the natural section of your grocery store, you can get it online from Amazon.

• Jackie
    June 15, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Made these tonight as I was craving chocolate and am grain free. I didn’t have any chocolate chips on hand and they still came out yummy. Thanks for a great recipe!

• Author
      June 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

Thank you Jackie! I’m glad that you liked it 🙂

• June 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I’m a coconut flour addict as of the last few weeks. So far I have killer bread and pizza crust under my belt. I can’t wait to try your brownies, thanks so much and power to the no-carb eaters!!5 stars

• July 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

My mom is 76 and just diagnosed with a gluten intolerance – I’ll be passing this recipe on to her. Thanks so much!5 stars

• July 5, 2012 at 5:52 am

You always have the best recipes! Another one that I’ve got to try.5 stars

• July 7, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I have to try this! We love coconut flour here! (Well, some of us!)5 stars

• July 11, 2012 at 11:32 am

I have to try this paleo thing out asap when baby is here 🙂

• July 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

These look amazing. Is the consistency close to those of regular brownies? I want to make them for my husband but he is selective about the consistency of things.

Thanks!!

• Author
      July 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Hi Kristina – they are more of a cake like brownie. My husband is not a huge fan of coconut flour so I really work to make it not taste like something made with coconut flour. If you try it let me know how it goes. 🙂

• Debbie
    November 10, 2012 at 7:10 am

By far my favorite cake recipe. Going to try them out as cupcakes today. Thanks!

• Author
      Kelly Bejelly
      November 10, 2012 at 10:44 am

Thank you so much Debbie!

• kyra
    January 7, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Would this be the same baking procedure if I wanted to make them into cupcakes? My end result will be the paleo german chocolate (cup) cake. I hope so because that’s the only baking pan I’ve got at my sister’s house while I’m on vacation and this is her favorite cake.

• Kristina
    November 3, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for this great recipe! My boyfriend and I had ‘cheating day’ today, so we mixed up some sugar. It was nice! It softened the strong taste of coffee – my boyfriend isn’t that into it. 😉
    The brownies mad our day! Thank you! We’re from Germany and it’s kind of hard to find recipes of Paleo-Food here.
    Best wishes from Germany!4 stars

• November 3, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Thanks Kristina 🙂 I’m so glad you enjoyed them!

• Carolyn
    June 23, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I made this brownies today & it was a complete mess! I suspect there is too much liquid & not enough flour, maybe adding almond flour would help.1 star

• June 23, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Oh no! I’m surprised they didn’t work.

• Jen
    February 20, 2015 at 5:53 pm

These look yummy and I want to try but I don’t drink coffee. Any suggestions on what I can substitute?

• February 21, 2015 at 11:22 am

You can experiment with black tea or just use the milk of your choice hun.

• Elena
    June 24, 2015 at 6:57 am

I made the using one T water and 1/8t cayenne pepper as a sub for coffee since I’m only 11. These brownies were awesome. In my opinion these are better than the cake. But that’s just my opinion.5 stars

• August 2, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Thanks Elena. So glad you enjoyed it hun.