This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on December 17, 2023
Are you a fan of chocolate chip cookies but trying to stick to a paleo diet? Look no further than these delicious paleo chocolate chip cookies! These cookies use coconut flour, mashed white sweet potato, and sustainable palm shortening as healthier alternatives to traditional cookie ingredients.
Plus, they’re grain-free, gluten, and dairy-free, making them a great option for those with dietary restrictions. These are seriously the best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever made, and I’ve made these cookies several times.
Ingredients in Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Are you looking for a healthier version of chocolate chip cookies that you can enjoy without feeling guilty? Look no further than paleo chocolate chip cookies! These cookies are gluten-free and made with wholesome ingredients that are free of grains, dairy, and refined sugar. Here are some of the key ingredients you’ll need to make your own batch of paleo chocolate chip cookies:
- Almond flour and coconut flour: These flours are used in place of regular flour to keep the cookies paleo-friendly. Almond flour is made from ground almonds, while coconut flour is made from ground coconut meat. Both flours are high in protein and fiber, making them a great choice for those who are looking to eat healthier.
- Coconut sugar: This natural sweetener is made from the sap of coconut palm trees. It has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar, which means it won’t cause your blood sugar to spike as much. Coconut sugar also contains vitamins and minerals that are not found in regular sugar.
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate is a healthier alternative to regular chocolate because it contains less sugar and more cocoa solids. Look for chocolate that is at least 70% cocoa to get the most health benefits.
- Coconut oil: This oil is used in place of butter or vegetable oil to keep the cookies dairy-free. Coconut oil is high in healthy fats that can improve your cholesterol levels and boost your metabolism.
- Flax egg: A flax egg is made by mixing ground flaxseed with water. It is used in place of regular eggs to make the cookies vegan-friendly.
- Maple syrup: This natural sweetener is used in place of honey or agave to keep the cookies paleo-friendly. Maple syrup contains antioxidants and minerals that are not found in other sweeteners.
- Almond butter: This nut butter is used in place of peanut butter to keep the cookies paleo-friendly. Almond butter is high in protein and healthy fats that can keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips: These chocolate chips are made with all-natural ingredients and are free of dairy, soy, and gluten. They are a great choice for those who are looking for a healthier alternative to regular chocolate chips.
- Sugar-free chocolate chips: If you want to make your cookies even healthier, you can use sugar-free chocolate chips instead of regular chocolate chips. These chips are sweetened with natural sweeteners like stevia or monk fruit extract.
With these ingredients, you can make a batch of 12 cookies that are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth without compromising your health.
How to Make the Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
They’re easy to make and taste as good as the regular cookie version. My version is a bit different from those found on the web, made with almond flour, coconut sugar, and coconut oil. I use sweet potato to get that perfect soft and chewy cookie texture that can’t be beaten! Seriously I love these cookies, and they are my favorite paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe to date.
To make these cookies, you’ll need to follow these simple steps:
- ½ cup coconut flour, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed white sweet potato
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sustainable palm shortening
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoon black-strap molasses
- 2 tablespoons dark maple syrup
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the sifted coconut flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mashed white sweet potato, eggs, palm shortening, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup. Mix until well blended.
- Add the coconut flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in chocolate chips or chunks.
- Roll the dough into walnut-sized balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat.
- Press the cookies with a small glass to flatten them slightly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
Some tips for making the perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies:
- Use coconut oil instead of palm shortening. You can also use butter instead of coconut oil if you eat dairy. Olive oil or melted ghee can also be used as alternatives.
- Use brown sugar instead of molasses and maple syrup. I would substitute them with a 1/4 cup.
- Vegan option – Use a flax egg instead of a regular egg to make the cookies vegan.
- Use dark chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips for better melting.
- Use a cookie scoop to make the cookies uniform in size.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
With these tips and the recipe instructions provided, you can make delicious paleo chocolate chip cookies in no time!
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Cookies
Making the perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies can be a breeze with a few paleo baking tips and tricks. Here are some ideas to help you get the most out of your cookie-making experience:
- Use high-quality chopped dark chocolate instead of chocolate chips for better melting. The wax in chocolate chips prevents them from getting gooey, and we all know that chocolate chip cookies need to be melty and gooey!
- Use coarse sea salt to sprinkle on top of cookies for a sweet and salty flavor. This will add a nice contrast to the sweetness of the cookie dough and make for a more interesting flavor profile.
One of the best parts about these cookies is that they are super easy to make. Just mix together your wet and dry ingredients, fold in your chocolate chunks, and you’re ready to go. You can use coconut oil instead of palm shortening if you prefer, and you can even make these cookies gluten-free by using almond flour instead of regular flour.
If you follow the recipe exactly, you’ll end up with some seriously the best cookies you’ve ever tasted. These cookies are gluten and dairy-free, but they still taste like traditional chocolate chip cookies. You’ll love these Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies, and they’ll quickly become your favorite cookie recipe.
- In a bowl combine the sifted coconut flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl mix the mashed white sweet potato, eggs, palm shortening, vanilla, molasses and maple syrup.
- Mix until well blended and then add the coconut flour mixture to it and mix thoroughly.
- Lastly add in the chocolate chips.
- Roll into walnut size balls and set on your Siplat.
- Press the cookies with a small glass and then bake in your oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.