This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on November 25, 2020
Love Hormel Chili? This copycat recipe tastes just like the real thing but it’s made from scratch with real food ingredients. You can make this in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker!
Growing up we ate Hormel Chili. My father would make this for us and I can see him know, with a can opener turning that red can around in a circle and then dumping the contents into a pan on the stove. He would later top his bowl with 20 saltine crackers and devour it.
Hormel chili was my first taste of chili so my taste buds have kinda been primed to believe that true chili tastes like Hormel.
Anyhow, now that I follow a Gluten-free diet, I had to recreate this recipe and I wanted to make it with my Instant Pot. This recipe took me 2 years to figure out.
I know. It seems kinda crazy it took that long but it did.
Having said that I can say this with heart that this is the only chili recipe I will make for the rest of my long days! It’s that good.
What your need for this CopyCat Hormel Chili Recipe
- bacon fat
- garlic cloves
- ground beef
- tomato paste
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- sea salt
- black pepper
- rice flour
- pinto beans
If you don’t have rice flour, you can use cassava flour, wheat flour, etc.
Slow Cooker Option: Don’t have an Instant Pot, you can cook this in your slow cooker on low for 4 to 5 hours.
This Copycat Hormel Chili is perfect with cornbread for a simple dinner
- 1 Tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons rice flour
- 2 - 14 oz cans pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups water
- In your Instant Pot hit the SAUTE button and add the bacon fat, garlic and onions and cook until translucent, roughly 3 minuets.
- Add in the ground beef and brown. Add in all the spices, tomato paste, and the rice flour and stir until well combined. Add in the pinto beans.
- Add in the water and turn off the Instant Pot. Seal with the lid and press the MANUAL Button and add time until you have 20 minutes. When the time is over, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then open the quick release valve.
Slow Cooker Option:
Place all the ingredients in your slow cooker on low for 4 to 5 hours.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 1478mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g