This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on November 10, 2020
Looking for a chili without tomatoes? This no tomato chili is savory and hearty and filling. This easy recipe make the perfect lunch or dinner.
Mr. Bejelly doesn’t do well with cooked tomato products (crazy heartburn and stomach acid that keeps him up at night).
Also, after avoiding them for so long, I don’t tolerate them as well myself.
For this very reason, I’ve been slowly recreating some of our favorite recipes and making them tomato free.
For weeks, he’s been asking for chili without tomatoes and honestly, I didn’t think it was possible. There is just nothing like that tart taste of tomato in chili but thankfully I was wrong.
So, what can I subsitute for tomatoes in chili?
Wanted to try to get that rich full of flavor affect without tomatoes. I immediately thought of coffee. It’s rich and somewhat bitter. It would add just the right punch to the recipe.
I also added some fresh roasted poblanos for texture and flavor and really used a lot of spices to recreate the rich flavor of chili without tomatoes.
Pair this no tomato chili recipe with my gluten free cornbread recipe for a complete dinner.
The best part about this recipe is that I love is the fact that Mr. Bejelly slept peacefully thought the night after eating two bowls of this chili without tomatoes.
This chili uses coffee and cocoa powder to create a savory no tomato chili.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 3 large Poblano chilies, roughly 7" long, roasted and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb of grass-fed beef
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of brewed low acid coffee
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- In a large skillet add the cooking oil, onions and poblano peppers and cook until the onions are browned.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add the sweet potato, carrots, spices, coffee and water and simmer on medium-low for 30- 35 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 746mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 33g