September 17, 2012   By Kelly Bejelly

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE FROSTING

Happy Birthday Week to Me! I always get the most shocked expression when I tell people I’m making my birthday cake. Seriously who do they think is going to make it? Not Mr. Bejelly and most of my friends think coconut flour is some weird Asian creation.  This year I want dark chocolate.  I want coconut.  I want to cheat and eat a few pecans.  I want frosting.

For the cake, I used my coconut flour brownie recipe and made a few changes.  I added one more egg for a total of 4 eggs.  I switched out the honey and used maple syrup.  I also ditched the chocolate chips and instead grated in one 3.5 oz bar of 85% dark chocolate.  If you want a three layer cake you will have to triple the recipe or do what I did and simply layer three slices.  I do not need a three layer cake hanging around my house.

The frosting is AMAZING! Yeah, I’m putting out there.  It is so simple and tasty that honestly I’m not sure it needs a cake.  It’s like eating coconut candy.

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE FROSTING

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE FROSTING PALEO DESSERT

German Chocolate Cake Frosting

Course: Paleo Dessert
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes

1. Put the coconut milk and the maple syrup in a small pot on medium high and simmer until it's reduced by half. This can vary quite a bit. It took me 20 minutes but some readers have shared it takes 1 hour to 2 hours.
  2. Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla, sea salt, and coconut flakes. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. The coconut flakes will absorb some of the water and thicken it.
  3. Lastly add in the chopped pecans
  4. Enjoy!

© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• September 17, 2012 at 9:54 am

That is my favorite frosting and cake! Looks delicious!

• Leslie
    September 17, 2012 at 10:12 am

That looks yummy! I can think of all kinds of uses for this, including (paleo) carrot muffins 🙂

• Author
      Kelly Bejelly
      September 17, 2012 at 10:49 am

Oh Leslie I love how you think!!!

• September 17, 2012 at 11:01 am

That looks wonderful. I will have to try it myself!

• September 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Wow this looks amazing. One of the things I do miss is frosting on cakes. Can’t wait to try.

• September 17, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Dang, I want a piece of that!

• September 17, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Oh wow. This looks delicious!

• September 18, 2012 at 6:42 am

Yummy. I need to try this. I love German Chocolate Cake.

• September 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Happy Birthday! What a fantastic cake!

• September 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

Whoa, this looks AWESOME! I hope you had a great birthday–with this cake, how could it not be?! 😀

• September 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Aw, thanks Kiersten. It’s not my best photo but man the frosting is so tasty.

• September 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm

This is my dad’s favorite cake. Yum!

• September 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Happy Birthday!!! I love German Chocolate cake. I’ll definitely try this frosting!

• September 28, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I’ve never been a fan of coconut, but you make it look delicious.

• Jessica
    April 15, 2013 at 9:01 am

What size pan did you use to bake the round cake? 9″? 🙂 Thanks! This looks absolutely amazing!!!

• April 15, 2013 at 9:58 am

Aw, thanks Jessica. I use an 8″ round pan.

• Brandi
    April 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Kelly, I made this frosting this past weekend. It was AMAZING!! Thank you soooo much! It did take me longer to reduce the coconut milk. It took about 1hour. This week I came a crossed a recipe for a “paleo” seven layer / magic bar recipe where you basically make your own sweetened condensed but with coconut milk. The method was very similar to your frosting method. This recipe said to expect 2 hours for the coconut milk to reduce to the right consistency. I am guessing the differences may have to due with the climate that your in. Thanks again for the GREAT recipe it was wonderful.

• April 23, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Holy smokes, that is a tad longer to cook but I’m so glad that it came out for you. It seriously is heaven on a spoon in my opinion 🙂 Thanks for the comment Brandi!

• Marie
    September 27, 2013 at 8:00 am

Looks delicious. When you say triple the recipe does that mean triple all of the above? ie 9 eggs.

• September 27, 2013 at 8:46 am

Well if you make the Gluten Free Coconut Flour Brownies as is, you will need 9 eggs to make 3 layers. If you make the changes I share in the frosting recipe you will need 12 eggs. I have gotten feedback that the coconut flour brownie recipe makes an excellent cake recipe as is.

• Marie
        September 27, 2013 at 9:59 am

thank you! 🙂 making for my sons 26th bday!

• Marie
          September 27, 2013 at 11:50 am

Help! delicous but fell apart when turning out of pan. too moist! used brownie recipe.

• September 27, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Did you let it cool? Hrmm. Was it very liquidy when you poured it into the pan to bake or was it thick like cake batter? If it was liquidy I would add more coconut flour. Add 1 tbsp at a time until it is thick like a cake batter.

• September 27, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Also, let it cool completely. You can freeze it also to help get it out of the pan. I grease the pan up really well too.

• Marie
    September 27, 2013 at 1:04 pm

a little more loose than a cake. I did not let it cool completely. trying again!

• Marie
    September 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Success! thanks. i greased the pan more this time. for the frosting, do i triple the recipe?

• September 27, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Yeah!!! Hrmmm. I would do that to make sure you have enough. More than likely you will have some left over but it won’t last 🙂

• Marie
    September 27, 2013 at 6:59 pm

frosting is runny. not sure if I did not cook the coconut milk long enough. added the coconut thinking it would thicken. Should I cook it longe?r

• September 27, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Cook it longer. A previous reader said to took her 1 hour to get it to reduce by half. I would watch it since the coconut will soak up the milk since you’re cooking it.

• Marie
        September 28, 2013 at 6:25 am

Thanks for allure help!

• September 28, 2013 at 10:38 am

You are so welcome! I hope that you all enjoy it and Happy Birthday to your son:)

• Jodie
    October 11, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I just made the icing and it only took 20 minutes for me as well and I am in AR in very high humidity. I am wondering if it is taking others so long because they are “simmering” it rather than allowing it to boil. Just a thought…

The icing is awesome though!

• October 11, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Yeah! I’m so glad it worked for you 🙂 That might be why the time varies so much person on this recipe.

• LAra
    October 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Hoping the cakes freeze well? Made them tonight for hubby’s birthday on Friday and don’t plan on frosting until then. The cake smells delicious…can’t wait to taste them!

• October 14, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I don’t see why they wouldn’t freeze well. I haven’t done this to tell you the truth. We always tear through it in 3 days, lol.

• Christine
    January 27, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I made this (cake and frosting) for my birthday yesterday. It was perfect! I like my “sweets” on the less-sweet side, but ended up adding extra coconut sugar and maple syrup so my family members would enjoy it. The frosting is delectable. I’m so glad it can be done with wholesome ingredients. Everything tastes best refrigerated, in my opinion.

For others’ information, you do need to boil the coconut milk for quite a while. Keep an eye on it, for it needs to be stirred, and it will bubble over if left to itself. You are essentially caramelizing it like sweetened condensed milk. So when it’s done, it should be thick, syrupy, and probably darker in color.

Thanks for sharing this recipe and giving us a wholesome option to a favorite dessert!

• January 27, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Oh now you’ve got me wanting to make this tonight, lol. I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

• February 2, 2014 at 7:02 am

German Chocolate Cake is my favorite – I always make it for my birthday. I make my own cake every year too. 🙂 This year I’m going to have to try your frosting – it sounds amazing!

• krista
    February 2, 2014 at 11:15 am

Hi Kelly,

I just came across your website and was looking for a chocolate cake (going to use your brownie recipe) and found the German Chocolate Cake Frosting. I don’t have coconut milk out of a can but I do make my own coconut milk to drink. Would I be able to just use my homemade coconut milk instead?

Love your website and your incite to everything Paleo. We are just starting our journey with Paleo to heal some stomach issues and food sensitivities.

Thanks,
    Krista

• February 2, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Honestly, I’ve only made it with full fat coconut milk because you need the fat to caramelize to make the frosting. I make my own coconut milk and it doesn’t really have as much fat as you need to make this work properly. I hope you enjoy it hun!

• Gayle
    April 4, 2014 at 10:18 am

I am 1mth new to the Paleo world and I’m a diabetic that loves (needs) the sweets to keep me sane. Lol
    I’ve been doing low carb Paleo (and I still haven’t lost any weight) so I’m wondering what I can use in place of the syrup. I’ve used either Splenda or Stevia, but I think I need to replace the “liquid” part of the syrup to help with the moisture.
    Do you have any suggestion? Maybe adding extra milk?

• April 4, 2014 at 3:40 pm

You could use stevia and I don’t think you need to add more liquid. I would just adjust the cook time slightly. I hope you like it Gayle!

• Carolyn
    June 25, 2014 at 7:54 am

I loved the frosting the problem I had was with the brownies! I ended out throwing the whole batch out, total waste of time & money. It took about an hour for the milk & syrup to reduce, end result was worth the wait. I personally think the brownie recipe has waaaaay too much liquid & not enough flour, I’ll make the frosting again BUT not the brownies.

• Carolyn
    July 28, 2014 at 11:08 am

Ive used your frosting recipe several times & love it! It did take longer then 20 minutes, both times it took about 45 but sure worth the wait. Great recipe 🙂

• Erin
    September 8, 2014 at 11:32 am

Does this frosting make enough to frost 12 cupcakes?

• Erin
      September 8, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I just doubled the recipe and it made PLENTY for 12 cupcakes! And it tastes amazing!!! And yes, it took me about an hour and a half to reduce it by half with the recipe doubled.

• September 12, 2014 at 6:11 am

Thanks so much for sharing this at Savoring Saturdays last weekend, Kelly! It was our most popular link, and we’ll be featuring it tonight at this weekend’s party! I hope you’ll come back and share with us again!

• Michael Paulson
    November 1, 2014 at 8:24 pm

This cake was perfect for my birthday! Thank you so much! Better than grain-based.

• November 2, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Happy belated birthday Michael and I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

• Wendy
    February 7, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I don’t know how you figured this recipe out, but it’s delicious and I love you. 🙂 My favorite birthday cake has been german chocolate ever since I became an adult many moons ago. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Now I’m ready for my birthday in April.

• February 24, 2015 at 9:24 am

AW! I hope you love it Wendy and Happy Birthday hun!

• February 10, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I have to thank you for this amazing cake recipe! I made it for a family dinner over the weekend and it was a huge hit! I made the cake layers a few days in advance and then froze them. The day of the dinner, I thawed them on the counter and they turned out perfectly. The cakes held together very well and they were still very moist even after freezing! The coconut milk did take a little bit longer to cook down but it was great. The coconut flakes that I used in the frosting were huge and too big for a cake topping. Next time, I will either cut them smaller or use shredded coconut instead. Also, since I made 2 layers, one batch of the frosting only covered the middle layer and the top layer. It still looked great but next time, I would make a double batch (or triple for 3 layer cake) to be able to cover the sides too. Thanks again for another fabulous recipe. I will be making this again very soon!

• October 19, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Wondering if coconut cream could be a sort of shortcut for the reducing of the coconut milk. I’m thinking of something like the native forest coconut cream, which has more moisture than the bulk coconut cream in my local store. I want to make this for my partner’s birthday, but the possible 1-2 hours is scaring me!

• October 26, 2015 at 9:08 am

I cook this so it’s bubbling the entire time and it seriously takes me 20 minutes. The higher the cook temp, the faster it cooks hun. Just make sure you watch it so it doesn’t burn.

• Lorna Matos
    August 6, 2016 at 11:58 am

Well, I must agree that it is like coconut candy! I followed your recipe exactly and it came out perfectly! The reduction only took 25 minutes using the canned organic full fat coconut milk from Whole Foods.