This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on June 30, 2021
This easy German Chocolate Cake Frosting Recipe is made with all natural ingredients like coconut milk, pecans and maple syrup. The homemade vegan frosting is so good that you’ll eat it by the spoonful!
Happy Birthday Week to Me! I always get the most shocked expression when I tell people I’m making my birthday cake.
Seriously who do they think is going to make it? Not Mr. Bejelly.
This year I want dark chocolate. I want coconut. I want to cheat and eat a few pecans. I want frosting.
For the cake, I used my paleo chocolate cake recipe . This is hands down my favorite chocolate cake recipe EVER. If you’ve ever wondered how do you make german chocolate cake from scratch? Read below and watch the video.
Why this is the Best German Chocolate Cake Frosting Recipe
- The frosting is AMAZING! Yeah, I’m putting out there. It is so simple and tasty that honestly I’m not sure it needs a cake. It’s like eating coconut candy.
- It’s made with less than 10 all natural ingredients found in most clean pantries.
- It’s egg-free and Vegan!
Watch the video tutorial
What you’ll need for this Recipe:
- Coconut Milk, canned
- maple syrup
- pure vanilla extract
- Sea Salt
- shredded unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- roasted pecans
How to Make This German Chocolate Cake Frosting
How do you thicken German chocolate cake frosting? For this recipe, you can add a spoonful of tapioca or arrowroot flour while cooking to help thicken it up.
How long should you let the cake cool before frosting? I have a hard time waiting also but ideally you should let your cake cool for at least an hour.
Other Paleo Dessert Recipes, You might Enjoy
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below and make sure you share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
Coconut flakes, maple syrup and coconut milk make a delicious German chocolate cake icing.
- 13.5 oz Coconut Milk, canned
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans, course chopped
Cake (makes One 9" layer cake)
- Put the coconut milk and the maple syrup in a small pot on medium high and simmer until it's reduced by half. This can vary quite a bit. It took me 20 minutes but some readers have shared it takes 1 hour to 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla, sea salt, and coconut flakes. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. The coconut flakes will absorb some of the water and thicken it.
- Lastly add in the chopped pecans
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g