This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on November 28, 2020
When I was growing up my mother used to make us strange desserts.
Instead of making things like cupcakes she would make us Banana Egg rolls and rice crispies with rice she has just cooked and dried. I thought it was the strangest, weirdest thing possible but I loved those egg rolls. She would roll plantains in brown sugar and then wrap them in egg roll wrappers. Then she deep fried them and added more brown sugar on the top just before they cooled so the sugar would melt all over them.
You can image the sugar rush after a treat like that but, hey, I was a kid and spent 90% of my time outside playing and running around.
Yeah, I didn’t do that in this Paleo banana egg roll recipe. These are so simple and made only with a coconut wrap and the ripest of plantains so you can skip the sugar all together.
Now watch these like a hawk when you are frying them as they brown up quick!
Paleo Banana Egg rolls
- 2 ripe bananas or plantains
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package of Pure wraps
- coconut oil for frying
- Slice the plantains in half length (horizontal) wise and then slice in half so you get 4 pieces per banana.
- Wrap the plantains like you would an egg roll. See this video for help.
- Use the water to wet the flap to help seal the egg rolls closed.
- Place a small pot of coconut oil over medium heat and warm the oil until 350 degrees
- Drop in the egg rolls and watch them closely as they brown quickly - seriously, like 30 seconds and it will be dark brown.
- Flip with a fork and brown.
- Remove with a fork and place on a piece of paper towel.
- Repeat until done.
© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.
This is great! My family makes fried banana rolls with the Asian wrappers. I didn’t know there were fryable wraps, will try them out.
Yes! Just a very quick fry for color and bit of warmth 🙂
Bananas are not plantains! One [banana] makes me gag when I know it’s there and throw up when I don’t know and accidentally eat it. The other [plantains] makes me very happy in all forms – fried, steamed, baked, etc. Similar is not the same as… same! 😉 Would you please entitle this with the distinction properly made?
Hi Hun, this can be made with banana or plantains 🙂
Cutting it into half moon slices stretches your banana/plantains for more rolls to enjoy
Yes it does Kim.