October 15, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

How to make freezer jam with gelatin

One of my favorite things to make is freezer jam.    One, it’s so simple and two, it’s SO SIMPLE.   You can even use frozen berries to make a new batch of jam when you run out.

how to make low sugar freezer jam with gelatin

What you’ll need:

1 lb of frozen blackberries | 1 tbsp of gelatin | 1/4 tsp of sea salt | 1/4 cup of honey | 1/2 tsp of vanilla

how to make low sugar freezer jam with gelatin

Throw the blackberries, sea salt, vanilla and honey  in a medium pan and bring to a boil

how to make low sugar freezer jam with gelatin

Let the mixture cook at a low boil for roughly 45 minutes or until the mixture is reduced by half.

how to make low sugar freezer jam with gelatin

Leave your pan on the stove and then mix in the gelatin.  Mix for 1 minute and then pour into your mason jar.

how to make low sugar freezer jam with gelatin

Let cool and either seal the jar up with a lid and store in your freezer or in your fridge . Once opened it is good for one week.

how to make low sugar freezer jam with gelatin

The biscuit is my Paleo sweet potato biscuit recipe.  I did make two changes.  I used cashews instead of walnuts and I used white sweet potatoes versus garnet.

how to make low sugar freezer jam with gelatin

How to Make Blackberry Freezer Jam using Gelatin

Course: Freezer Jam

1. Combine the blackberries, sea salt, vanilla and honey in a medium pan and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce the heat to medium boil and let cook for roughly 45 minutes, until the mixture is reduced by half.
  3. Turn off the heat but leave the pan on the stove.
  4. Add the gelatin and mix for one minute.
  5. Pour the jam into your canning jar and cap with a lid. This makes about 1 1/4 cups of jam.
  6. let cool and then store in your freezer.
  7. Once opened the jam lasts for one week.

• October 15, 2013 at 10:10 am

I like that there is very little honey in this recipe. So many jams are far too sweet for me and end up making me sick. I’ll try this but I’m a little afraid of the bovine gelatin.

• Diana
      August 16, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Yes! I was looking for a low sugar preserve or jam recipe and I love this!
      Don’t be afraid of gelatin, it’s super easy to work with and you can even correct constancy after its set. I use gelatin pretty often to make homemade “jello”. It’s good for your nails and bones. And it’s flavorless, it can go in anything!

• October 15, 2013 at 11:22 am

Girl, that looks great! Putting it on biscuits puts it over the top. Yum!

• October 20, 2013 at 5:25 pm

This doesn’t look too hard. I’m definitely going to try this. Thanks for the great idea and the biscuits look so good.

• July 24, 2014 at 6:45 am

My dad was diagnosed with adult onset diabetes a couple of years ago and has cut out all sugar. Would this work for him with his diabetes? He loves blackberry jam and we have dewberries (a variety of blackberries) on our ranch and have several bags in my freezer.

• July 24, 2014 at 10:44 am

You could easily replace the honey with stevia or, if your berries are sweet enough, skip the sugar altogether.

• Cassandra
    December 7, 2014 at 10:27 pm

I love this recipe. So easy. I use frozen fruit. I’ve tried raspberry and blackberry so far and both were great. I chose to add the honey and vanilla at the same time as the gelatin( after cooking on stovetop) to preserve the nutritional value of the ingredients. Thank you for this recipe:)

• December 8, 2014 at 10:43 am

I’m so glad that you enjoyed it Cassandra!

• Tonya
    June 2, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Instead of using frozen berries could I use fresh berries off the blackberry bushes? I have a boatload of blackberry bushes in my treeline and would rather use them.

• Julie
        May 11, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Would fresh strawberries work too?

• Laurie
    June 18, 2016 at 12:44 pm

This sounds amazing! Must try 1st. Btw. I looked to find your gelatin and it can be found on Amazon.com. For those that need to know the product info does indicate that the cattle feed on grain and grass so not 100% grass fed nor neccesarily non gmo since cattle are from Argentina where much gmo grain is grown.

• Tami
    August 2, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Working on this recipe right now! Smells amazing. When I added the gelatin, it all chunked up. I have put it in my vitamix to try to dissolve. Did I do something wrong? Using Great Lakes gelatin.

• August 18, 2016 at 9:22 am

Did you add it when the ingredients were warm? I’ve noticed if it hot when I put it in, it will chunk up.