March 3, 2014   By Kelly Bejelly

paleo orange scones

Last week I got a cold and, as usual, my taste buds went into hibernation.   It wasn’t until Sunday that I finally felt confidant that anything I created in my kitchen wouldn’t be some strange disaster of salt and too many eggs.     I went into my kitchen and stared at my pantry for a good 30 minuted before I decided to try to adapt one of my all time favorite scone recipes.   This is the recipe that won the the heart of my Mother-in-law.  Actually, I’ve the saying “The stomach is the way to a man’s heart” pretty much applies to anyone.  If you cook them a good meal, they can’t help but think kind thoughts about you.

paleo orange scones

This is so simple but tasty and seriously pretty darn close to the original.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

paleo orange scones

Orange Scones

Scones

Orange Honey Butter

1. In your food processor, add the liquid ingredients and pulse for 30 seconds to combine.
  2. Shift in the dry ingredients and pulse until you have dough.
  3. Take the dough and roll out into a cirlce that is 1/2 thick.
  4. Cut the dough into triangle pieces and place on baking sheet lined with a silpat.
  5. Turn on your oven and set it to 350. Set the baking sheet inside and bake for 20 - 23 minutes. Remove and set aside.
  6. To make the sauce, in a sauce pan over medium heat add the honey, butter and orange juice and cook for 3 - minutes.
  7. Brush the tops of the scone withe butter and enjoy!

paleo orange scones

© 2011-2014, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• Kelly
    March 3, 2014 at 11:39 am

I don’t use Tapioca or Rice flour. Would I just use more almond flour? What would you suggest?

• March 3, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Hi Kelly! I would add more almond flour.

• Jennie Gillihan
    March 3, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Oh Kelly, this is my very FAVORITE flavor scone!!!!! I can’t wait to try it! My question is – are you putting the scones into a cold oven or a preheated one? The way it’s written I’m thinking it’s into a cold oven. Thanks so much for your hard work on these recipes and hope you feel 100% better soon!!

• March 3, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Thanks Jennie. It goes into a cold oven 🙂

• Sophia
    March 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I can’t wait to try this, I may just add ginger to it too! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Rose Peterson
    March 3, 2014 at 11:19 pm

We have severe nut allergies, what do you suggest for flour?
    We are also trying to stay PALEO

Thanks!

• March 5, 2014 at 7:40 am

Hi Rose, honestly, I’m not sure what would make a great replacement since there is so much in the recipe. I’m sorry hun.

• Pegasus Colwell
    April 9, 2014 at 9:46 am

Just made these! Totally delish. I think I might use a little more orange next time but oh so good. I topped mine after the melted orange/honey butter with sliced almonds. 😉 Okay, so they are not like Panera’s but hey! They are healthy, homemade & paleo compliant. I can satisfy my sweet tooth without the guilt. Thank you, thank you!

• April 10, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Yeah! I’m so glad you enjoyed them hun!

• Amber
    February 13, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Just made these and what makes them is the orange butter glaze on top, you could put that on cardboard and it would be good! I added a teaspoon of orange zest to both the dough batter and the glaze. Made a world of difference in the glaze, the scones themselves still had no detectable orange flavor. My batter was runny and I had to add lots more of almond flour/coconut/tapioca to get it to a dough consistency. Overall, a decent start to a recipe but needs tweaking.

• February 16, 2015 at 7:53 am

I’m glad you enjoyed the glaze Amber.

• Jacqueline
    July 11, 2015 at 11:08 am

I made these with fresh lemon juice (its what I had), lemon zest and added 1/4 cup of greek yogurt! I also pulsed in frozen BB and used a biscuit cutter to make rounds and topped them with raw sugar. YUM! I also only used 1 3/4 cup almond flour! Thanks for the recipe I woke up needing a sweet with my coffee and do not like coconut flour texture scones. I have made your pop tarts and those were excellent also. Thanks for taking the time to post:)

• July 13, 2015 at 8:33 am