AIP Bread

aip sweet potato bread

Ok, I don’t know how exactly to explain the texture of this aip bread.   It kinda reminds me of an elephant ear marries a roll and then they had this as a baby.

I know.

It makes no sense but I seriously found it hard to stop eating.

It was like, hrmm. .. I think I need to eat all of them to make sure the recipe came out ok.

Ugg, it’s tough doing what I do when you have very little self control.

Anyhow, this bread is vegan and safe for the Paleo Autoimmune diet.  I really like the addition of sweet potato because it gives the recipe another dimension. It also is a dream aip breakfast recipe.

Here’s some  testimonials on HOW FANTASTIC this AIP Bread recipe is

“I just made this and wow! I love this recipe. I sweetened it up with a pinch of xylitol and when they were still hot I sprinkled more xylitol and put a drizzle of ghee on top. I’m in trouble. The chewy texture was perfect.” Karyn

“I have been dreaming about bread and thought, ok, it’s only $1 for the recipe so if it sucks, I’m only out $1. After my first bite, I thought I would pay $20 for this recipe. It’s THAT GOOD. Thank you!!” Annie

I have many free recipes on the site but this recipe is for purchase for $0.99!

1. Steve argyle July 28, 2015 at 8:43 am

Phew, since I have started trying to follow Paleo principles I get ever more frustrated that I never have all of the correct ingredients in my cupboards. Despite the fact that I have now got five different flours in my cupboard I do not have cassava. Can I use something else to make these delicious looking little breads?

1. Kelly Bejelly July 28, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Hi Steve, Cassava is, well, a totally different beast. It truly reminds me of traditional flours and there isn’t anything that I’ve found that is similar. If you have an asian market in your area, you can grab some from there.

2. Pc August 5, 2015 at 7:15 am

It’s available online 🙂

2. Kathleen Johnson August 5, 2015 at 9:06 am

Every resource I have seen says cassava and tapioca are the same thing……????

1. Kelly Bejelly August 5, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Cassava is the unprocessed flour of the cassva root. Tapioca is highly refined from cassva flour.

3. karyn August 8, 2015 at 3:49 pm

1. Kelly Bejelly August 19, 2015 at 7:50 am

Yum! Yes, I love the texture also. I just can’t explain it completely.

4. Jen August 19, 2015 at 9:18 am

This recipe looks so delicious. Unfortunately, I’m allergic to cassava (and of course, tapioca). I have plantain flour on hand. Have you ever used it before? Any thoughts on whether it would be a decent sub? Methinks I need to try it and I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your recipes!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 10, 2015 at 11:22 am

I’ve never used plantain flour so I’m not sure if it would work Jen. Sorry!

2. lynne December 30, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Hi there, could you use arrowroot?

5. Allison October 10, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Have you tried shallow-frying these? Amazing!!!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 15, 2015 at 7:42 am

No but that sounds like the bomb! Try it and share.

6. Allison October 11, 2015 at 12:42 am

So, my oven baked ones came out pretty crisp. I’m wondering if maybe I baked them too long. But also it made me wonder if this dough wouldn’t be a good base for cookies!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 15, 2015 at 7:42 am

Yes, you could tweak them to make them work that way

7. Rebecca January 14, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Am I missing something? I don’t see the actual recipe. Or do I have to buy something first? Not really keen on getting a membership to a club for one recipe……

1. Kelly Bejelly January 18, 2016 at 9:52 am

It’s part of my Joyful Kitchen Club hun so yes, you do need a membership to grab the recipe.

1. Jill January 30, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Kelly, I tried to join the membership but it says it is temporarily closed? Is there another way to get the recipe or the membership? thanks so much! Jill

1. Kelly Bejelly February 19, 2017 at 7:32 pm

You can now purchase it for .99 hun. The link is in the post.

8. Patti January 16, 2016 at 9:30 am

Hi Kelly – thanks for all your great recipes (LOVE the garlic rolls!). I want to try the AIP bread, but since I sometimes don’t feel well after consuming palm shortening, I would like to try it with coconut oil. I noticed that the amount of coconut oil is the sme no matter how many rolls you make. I just wanted to verify that the amount shown is the correct amount for making 6 rolls. Thanks, Patti

9. Holly June 14, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Any chance this also doesn’t have coconut? Always looking for alternatives for my egg, nut, coconut, and seed allergic DH! Looks fabulous though! 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly June 15, 2016 at 9:03 am

There are 2 tablespoons of coconut flour but you could easily just skip and add more tapioca flour.

10. Melissa June 29, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Hi I want to try this recipe however with multiple allergies and sensitivities, I would like to ensure that I can have all of the ingredients. Can you tell me just what the ingredients are before I purchase the full recipe? Thank you

1. Kelly Bejelly August 27, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Sweet potato, cassava, coconut oil and flour, cassava flour and sea salt.

11. Brenda February 28, 2018 at 8:59 am

Hi Kelly,
    I just tried your AIP Bread recipe for the first time yesterday and the results weren’t great. I used coconut oil over shortening because that’s what I had on hand. I had to add extra water to get the dough to come together. I baked them for 65 minutes and the centers were gluey. This continues to be my struggle baking with cassava flour. Can you tell me what I’m doing wrong?

1. Kelly Bejelly April 16, 2018 at 8:41 am

I’ve found that cassava flour varieties really matter when baking. Please make sure you are using Otto’s because that is what I created the recipe with.