This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Last Updated on June 19, 2021
This homemade DIY Lip Balm with SPF is a 100% natural and organic lip balm that uses natural ingredients to create a moisturizing and nourishing barrier for your lips. This lip balm is made from all natural ingredients including beeswax, shea butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter, and peppermint essential oil. These oils provide a soothing sensation to your lips while the SPF 30 provides protection from the sun’s
The calendars have hit July and in most places, the sun is out and shining hot. And while everyone loves a fun day at the beach, sunburns aren’t so fun. It may come as a surprise, but our lips are sensitive and susceptible to burns as well. If you throw this DIY lip balm with SPF in your beach bag though, you’ll have one less thing to worry about.
It goes without saying that most sun block products out there aren’t so good for your skin. Even ones that claim to be “all natural” typically use zinc oxide. Most zinc oxide is synthetic and contains nano-sized particles which penetrate the skin and go into your body. Non-nano and uncoated zinc oxide is available, but it’s hard to find and can sometimes leave you looking like a ghost. (source)
Where to Get Natural Sun Protection
Certain products found in nature contain their own naturally occurring SPF. Carrot seed essential oil, coconut oil and shea butter are just a few that can help guard skin from sun damage.
Shea butter has an SPF of approximately 6 to 8 and contains cimmaninic acid that defends against harmful UV rays. Coconut oil also provides some SPF protection and helps prevent oxidative skin damage that can cause free radicals and wrinkles. The evidence differs a little on the exact amount of SPF in coconut oil, but it’s between 4 and 10.
Carrot seed essential oil is really the star of this lip balm though. With an SPF of 38 to 40, it can provide some serious sun protection. Since it’s an essential oil though and very concentrated, it works well diluted in a lip balm. (source)
Level of SPF
The exact SPF coverage of this lip balm is undetermined, but according to this source, an SPF factor of blocks 50% of the sun’s rays and SPF 34 blocks 97% of the sun’s rays. With 3 out of 5 ingredients in this recipe having a good range of sun protection, this diy lip balm with SPF will do a good job of preventing damage to the lips.
DIY Lip Balm With SPF Recipe
- Metal spoon for mixing
- 4 tsps. Beeswax pellets
- 2.5 tsps. Coconut oil
- 2.5 tsps. Shea butter
- 18 drops Carrot seed essential oil
- 4 drops Peppermint essential oil (optional for scent)
- 7 Lip balm tubes
- In your saucepan or double boiler, combine the shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax. If using a saucepan, make sure the heat is as low as possible and watch closely to prevent burning. Don’t allow the oils to smoke or simmer; you want to heat them very gently.
- Stir the mixture with a metal spoon until completely melted. Don’t use wood or plastic for this recipe since the beeswax and heat can ruin them.
- Once your oils and wax have melted, turn off the heat and add your essential oils. Give it a quick stir, then immediately pour the lip balm into your desired containers. Because the essential oils can evaporate into the air, place the lids on your containers as soon as possible.
- Be sure to store your lip balms out of the sun and heat or they’ll melt. Apply your new lip balm as often as desired for a natural way to protect from the sun’s rays.
- Premium Quality Lip Balm Containers, Food Grade Plastic, Made In The USA Empty Lip Balm Tubes BPA FREE
- 2 Colors and 2 sizes Available: Clear, White, 50 Pack and 25 Pack
- Perfect For DIY Lip Stick, Chapsticks, Home Made Lip Balms, Lip Gloss Sun Screen Stick and Much More
- Made In The USA Sturdy Premium Construction Non-Toxic Containers Will Hold Your Recipe with No Leaks