August 26, 2013   By Kelly Bejelly

Paleo Oatmeal | A Girl Worth Saving

Early last week, I walked outside and I got that tingle that fall is just moments away. I AM NOT READY. I still want to bask in the sunshine and pretend that I don’t live in a city where it rains 8 months out of the year.

My only consolation is that with the cold, dreary weather comes warm food. Casseroles, baked sweet potatoes and everything that leads to me gaining 5 lbs. I figured it was time to come up with a hot Paleo Oatmeal recipe.

Paleo Oatmeal Breakfast

I wanted to make this a nut-free recipe so I stuck to pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and chia seeds. Truth be told, I wanted to also use coconut shreds but I knew that my coconut-flavor hating husband would have a fit.
Paleo Oatmeal recipe

For sweetness, I used dates. Seriously, it gives it the most amazing warmth. It makes the coming fall season easier to bear when I think about making this for breakfast on those cold mornings.

Paleo Oatmeal | A Girl Worth Saving

After you’ve processed this in your food processor, it will look like this. Now, here’s where you have the option of how you want to try this recipe. You can either simply pour some milk over it cold and eat it like a cereal or cook it, and have oatmeal. Mr. Bejelly preferred this cold and I loved it hot. This recipe makes several servings so you can pop it in a jar and eat it throughout the week. It’s also crazy filling. The cooked recipe below only uses 1 cup of the mix and would easily feed 2 very hungry people.

Paleo Oatmeal | A Girl Worth Saving

Paleo Oatmeal Breakfast

Paleo Oatmeal

1. Place the seeds, dates, sea salt and vanilla in your food processor and process for 2 minutes until you have a rough chopped mixture.
  2. Place the mixture in a glass jar to store in fridge.
  3. Take 1 cup of the mixture and 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk and place in a medium-size pan on your stove.
  4. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
  5. Enjoy!

Paleo Oatmeal | A Girl Worth Saving

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

• August 26, 2013 at 1:46 pm

what type of food processor do you use?

• August 26, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I just have a Black and Decker, I think that’s what it is. It isn’t very powerful but it works ok.

• August 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm

That looks delicious. (Love the new look of your blog!)

• August 27, 2013 at 12:01 pm

This is something my husband would ADORE! I wonder if he could cook it in the microwave at work?

• August 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I had no idea it was that easy to make your own oatmeal!

• LaTrice
    August 27, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Just switching over to gluten free and was distraught at the thought of not being able to have oatmeal during the fall and winter. Then, I saw your recipe on Facebook. Thank you so much.

• August 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Aw, you’re welcome LaTrice 🙂 I hope you enjoy it!

• August 28, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Great recipe – I will be making this for the kids this comming winter. They asked me the other day if they were still “allowed” oatmeal. Now I can say “yes”!

• natalie
    August 29, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Just wondering if I could swap the dates for figs? I’ve just started Primal and I can’t have that many carbs ):

• August 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I don’t see why that would change how it turns out. Let me know how it goes for you 🙂

• September 1, 2013 at 8:05 am

What a great idea. I think we have all of the ingredients for this in our pantry right now!

• Aleia
    October 25, 2013 at 6:00 am

The only thing my four year old son was most worried about when they told him he was going grain free and dairy free was whether or not he could have oatmeal! I just made this for him and he said ” see mom…we can still have oatmeal…I told you!” Thank you for this! 🙂

• October 25, 2013 at 8:10 am

Aw, you are so welcome Aleia! I’m so glad that you both enjoyed it!

• Paleoanna
    November 1, 2013 at 12:04 pm

This recipe is amazing and so delicious! One cup was a little much for me though, so I’ve been doing a 1/4 cup of cereal with 1 cup of coconut milk. I also add an egg, whereas I usually mix an egg into traditional oatmeal and accompany it with a tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk. Definitely not missing traditional oatmeal after eating this. Thanks for the recipe!

• November 1, 2013 at 12:13 pm

You are very welcome! It’s crazy how filling it is 🙂

• Paleoanna
      November 1, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Sorry, not a 1/4 cup but 1/2 a cup.

• Kaylah
    November 21, 2013 at 6:35 pm

This looks AWESOME. I used to be an overnight oats FIEND & since going grain-free, oatmeal has been the one thing that I always miss. (Like, look off into the distance and sigh wistfully. Lol) so THANK YOU!! Absolutely LOVE your blog – I think you and I are kindred spirits when it comes to our food!

• November 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I hope you like it Kaylah and thanks for the sweet words 🙂

• December 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm

This was super easy to make! I added shredded coconut and cinnamon, simmered with coconut milk. Delicious. Thank you, I hope it’s okay if I add a link to your page in my blog… I can’t wait to share this recipe with friends.

• December 12, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I’m so glad that you enjoyed it! And, yes, thanks for the link love 🙂

• Pedro Carlos Alves
    June 15, 2014 at 8:40 am

Hi Kelly, I have a simple question how can Paleo diet include pumpkin, sunflower and chia seeds?

• June 19, 2014 at 10:24 am

Pedro, these are all foods you can enjoy on the Paleo diet. There are seeds, not grains. I hope that helps

• tOM
    July 3, 2014 at 8:44 am

I have a question about the number of servings. You say the recipe is good for 10 servings at 1 cup of the cereal per serving. Is this correct? Do the dates really add that much volume to what is otherwise ~1.5-2 cups before adding the dates?

• July 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Hi Tom, it makes 2 1/2 cups but it is super filling. In my opinion one cup equals 4 servings because of how filling it is. I hope that helps.

• Tom
        July 5, 2014 at 9:04 pm

So unbelievably good, I was worried it wouldn’t be filling, but one serving is more than enough. Thanks for a great substitute for my old oatmeal!!!

• July 7, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I told you it was filling 🙂 I’m glad you enjoyed it Tom 🙂

• Chris
    September 6, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog, it is awesome! So is this recipe! I was wondering if I could make the oatmeal then freeze it in single servings?

• September 6, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Thanks Chris! I wouldn’t. The texture would be, well, weird. It makes several batches and I’m sure you could warm it up in the microwave if you are pressed for time.

• Jen
    September 24, 2014 at 9:44 am

This looks and sounds amazing!! Could I substitute Almond milk for the coconut milk? Thanks!

• Manny
    March 4, 2015 at 11:38 pm

This looks delicious!! Interested in starting the paleo diet but didn’t want to lose the meals I love like oatmeal. I was wondering if you knew whether or not I could use unsweetened almond milk instead and still have it being a paleo meal?

• Deanna Paine
    April 27, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Thank you so much for coming up with a Paleo Oatmeal recipe!! My husband has oatmeal every single day for breakfast and this was one thing he was hating to have to give up! Anxious to get the ingredients and serve this to him!

• May 18, 2015 at 7:42 am

Yeah! I hope you both enjoyed it Deanna!

• Kerry
    July 26, 2015 at 7:10 am

Has anyone tried this without the dates? I made it with the dates and it was great. Wondering how it would go without them.

• August 2, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I’ve never done this but I think that it would be fine hun.

• Suse
    April 20, 2016 at 3:27 pm

So good! Really nice texture, flavourful and so warming. You won’t believe it’s not oatmeal!
    Your recipes work every single time. I know I can totally trust that they’ll turn out just like the picture which is so important when you’re searching for good alternatives to mainstream wheat-based recipes. So thanks for all your wonderful recipes 😀

• January 12, 2017 at 5:30 am

This recipe is amazing! Worked out perfectly and so satisfying and filling! Thank you for posting this!

• Micheline
    March 12, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Hi!
    Do you have the nutrion facts for this recipe (1/4 portion) ?

• April 16, 2018 at 8:32 am

you change change the settings on the tab hun.