Paleo Sweet and Sour Chicken

Paleo Sweet and Sour Chicken | A Girl Worth Saving
This is my mother’s recipe made in Paleo Sweet and Sour Chicken and well, it’s pretty dang yummy if I have to admit it.  The first time I had this was at my  wedding.  Mr. Bejelly and I had a small backyard wedding and my mother catered it as our wedding  gift.   Most of the dishes that she made were ones I had eaten a million times – lumpia, fried rice, pancet – which honestly when you grow up eating the stuff, can get boring.
Paleo Sweet and Sour Chicken | A Girl Worth Saving
But anyhow, after I had my first bite, to say I was disappointed that I didn’t have this growing up is an understatement.  The food at our wedding was devoured.  No joke, every time I see certain friends they always talk about it and I’ve been married for almost 10 years.  The sad thing is Mr. Bejelly didn’t even eat any food at our wedding and spent all of his time entertaining and getting drunk as a skunk.  Yeah, a memorable wedding night to say the least.  Anyhow, all of my ravings about this  recipe have fallen on deaf ears until today.  I’ve tried to recreate the recipe in the past and it always seems to come up duds because translating a recipe from “Kel, you put a dash of this and a little of that” is rocket science.

Paleo Sweet and Sour Chicken | A Girl Worth Saving

I’m glad it finally came together because oh mama, it’s good.  It does take some work, though, but it’s so worth it.   One great thing about the recipe is that you can keep it simmering in the pan and the chicken never gets soggy.

Paleo Sweet and Sour Chicken

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Battered Chicken

Sauce

1. In a medium bowl add the diced chicken, egg white, tapioca flour and sea salt and mix until well combined.
  2. Place the coconut oil in medium size pan and heat the oil to 350 degrees; drop the batter in and fry until golden brown - roughly 5 - 8 minutes.
  3. TIP - When you drop the chicken into the oil, it will stick to your pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a fork to loosen it after a minute.
  4. Remove from the pan and set on a paper towel to drain the oil. Repeat until all the chicken is done. Set aside.
  5. In a large pan add the coconut oil, diced onion and garlic.
  6. Saute until the onions are translucent and then add the broth, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos and sea salt.
  7. Bring to a boil.
  8. Add in the battered chicken, pineapple, tomatoes and bell pepper.
  9. Mix to cover all the ingredients with the sauce, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
  10. Enjoy!

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.

1. Salixisme August 31, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Yummy! I will absolutely be making this at some point!

2. Anne September 1, 2013 at 5:12 am

Sounds delicious! Battering the chicken first must be the secret, I’ve never done that.

3. Mum's the word September 1, 2013 at 7:50 am

wow I never made my sweet sour pork this way!!

4. Rachel September 1, 2013 at 8:18 am

Looks good. We love sweet and sour chicken but I have never tried to make my own. I will have to give it a go now.

5. Amber K September 1, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I LOVE sweet & sour chicken so I’ll be trying this recipe.

6. Kait September 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm

This looks so yummy! PS I attempted to cut my first pineapple this summer — it may have been a mini disaster 🙂

7. Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom September 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm

This looks amazing and I love how there isn’t that mystery, sticky sauce slathering everything. Traditional sweet and sour sauce scares me.

8. Brooke Schweers September 2, 2013 at 1:13 am

You are so clever for being able to make this healthy! Great idea to use tapioca flour! Yum who needs to order take out when they can make your delicious version!?

9. Shell Feis September 2, 2013 at 2:35 am

That sounds SO good! I am a huge fan of sweet & sour chicken.

10. Erin Goldin September 26, 2013 at 6:29 am

Can you substitute the tapioca flour with coconut or almond flour? Thanks!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 26, 2013 at 10:27 am

I would substitute arrowroot instead. Coconut and Almond won’t coat the same way 🙂

11. Debbie January 15, 2014 at 6:32 am

Does the sweet and sour tasted like maple at all? I’m o GAPS and use honey and it tastes like honey, for sure! But part of the reason is because my daughter is allergic to pineapple. I think that would improve it 🙂

1. Kelly Bejelly January 15, 2014 at 9:38 am

You could easily swap out the honey 🙂 I just prefer maple syrup because it’s less acidic. Truthfully Debbie, the pineapple flavors pulls it all together to give you the sweet and sour taste. You could try grapefruit maybe?

12. Jen July 3, 2014 at 7:20 pm

This is delicious! Scratch that, my son says, it’s Deeeeeelicious!!!!!! I need some tips with the frying as I had coconut oil flying everywhere! I don’t attempt it very often. There is also a lot of sauce in the pan that’s liquid. Should I have boiled it more, or does it not change consistency?

This was crazy good! I can’t wait for your cookbook.