Paleo Wraps

paleo tortilla wraps

I finally broke down and realized that you need eggs to make Paleo wraps.  The thing is, I really hate using a lot of eggs in my recipes.  One, we already go through 2 dozen eggs a week, not including my baking.  Two, I hate eggy tasting foods.

After working on this for a month, I finally got the egg count down to four ( one egg will only use the egg white)  and, in my opinion, they taste pretty darn good.

Again, I broke out my new favorite ingredient, sesame seeds.   They really give the wrap a lot of depth and flavor, and they would pair really well with hummus or curries.   I was almost tempted to call this naan or pitta because the flavor is so similar.

However, it goes really well with anything you want to wrap up –  or goodness, I didn’t even think about it, but this would be an amazing Quesadilla!

I ended up making Paleo Enchiladas with this recipe and they are seriously amazing and hold up perfectly even with the sauce.

paleo tortilla wraps

The texture of the wrap really reminds me of a flour tortilla and wow, is it foldable.   These freeze and reheat really well so you can make a bigger batch and freeze some for later.

paleo tortilla wraps

paleo tortilla wraps

Paleo Wraps

Course: Paleo bread, bread
Cuisine: American
Calories: 248 kcal

1. Place a medium skillet over medium heat and grease your pan with the coconut oil.
  2. In a mixing bowl add the ingredients and whisk for one minute.
  3. Pour out a 5" circle into your pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until browned.
  4. Flip and brown the other side.
  5. Remove from the pan and repeat.
  6. Tip: Re-whisk the batter before you pour a new wrap.
  7. Enjoy!
Total Carbohydrates 21g 7%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 8g 16%
Vitamin A 4.8%
Calcium 14.7%
Iron 15.7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

© 2011-2013, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website

1. SHaron September 23, 2013 at 10:36 am

Looks great! How do you grind sesame seeds? Or how much sesame seed flour would you use?

1. Kelly Bejelly September 23, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I use a coffee grinder 🙂 I also use all the flour that I get from grinding 1/4 cup of sesame seeds.

2. Angela September 24, 2013 at 7:41 am

I can think of so many ways to use these wraps. And it’s nice that they can be frozen for later too!

3. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies September 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I feel the same way about eggs. I use eggs IN things, but I don’t like the flavor of eggs. I love these as a gluten-free tortilla alternative!

4. Sara Phillips September 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm

These look FANTASTIC! But I wouldn’t be able to use sesame seeds (my kiddo is allergic) – do you recommend a replacement?

1. Kelly Bejelly September 24, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Le me play with it. It needs a bite and I’m not sure, maybe pumpkin seeds would work.

1. Debbie January 1, 2014 at 12:06 pm

We had to make ours without sesame seeds (no sub), and they’re still SO good!!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 1, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it Debbie and thanks for letting me know that this works without the sesame flour!

5. Jenn- The Rebel Chick September 26, 2013 at 6:26 am

From first glance at the photo I thought these were corn tortillas. They look amazing, especially how pliable they are.

1. Kelly Bejelly September 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thanks Jenn! That’s what I was shooting for when I created the recipe!

6. Erin September 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Do the eggs need to be at room temperature and can they be used right out of the fridge?

1. Kelly Bejelly September 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I use the right out of the fridge 🙂

7. Linda Majewski October 18, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Kelly you really nailed this recipe, they are awesome. My grandson Will is high functioning autistic, he is on a gluten dairy free diet for bowel issues. Since he has eaten this way the change in him is unbelievable. My daughter Michele is trying a paleo diet with great success, I made these for them to try, they loved the, the smile on Wills face was priceless. I am going to try them today as a base for breakfast quiches. Will let you know how they go. You are an inspiration, keep the recipes coming
    Linda

1. Kelly Bejelly October 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Linda, thank you so much for you comment! I can just picture your grandson’s smile and you seriously made my month!!! Happy eating hun 🙂

8. RANDALL October 24, 2013 at 7:46 am

Can’t wait to make these. They look scrumptious. Going to make a chili cheese dog doing Low carb and these should fit that nicely.

1. Kelly Bejelly October 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

That sounds good! I’ve been craving chili dogs so I’m going to try that!

9. Kelly October 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I’m eating enchiladas made with these wraps right now. They are fabulous. I think i’ll make another batch tommorrow. Delicious!!

1. Kelly Bejelly October 25, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed them Kelly. I had them for dinner tonight myself!

10. Patricia R. November 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Just made these tonight and they were perfect! I can definitely see making more for the freezer. I do plan to package up the dry ingredients to make it easier to make in a hurry. I have not tried any other wrap but with this recipe, there is no need to. They are tasty and quite foldable. Can’t wait to try the dumplings in chicken soup next. Good job Kelly!

11. Laura December 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I really want to try this recipe it sounds like just the perfect diy alternativ to store bought wraps!! I just want to ask about the Tapioca flour…hav u tried any other flours for this that worked?

1. Kelly Bejelly December 3, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hi Laura, you can try arrowroot. A lot of my readers use it as a replacement flour.

12. Carolyn Baeta January 5, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I made these today for the first time and they are absolutely fabulous! I will definitely be making them again. I didn’t have anything to grind my sesame seeds so I just used more Tapioca Flour and they turned out great. Thank you for the great recipe!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 5, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed them Carolyn 🙂

13. The Recovering Fat Chick January 7, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thank you so much for this delightful recipe! I used themto makemy chicken, bacon, cream cheese taquitos and homemade chicken enchiladas and they were a huge hit! This is, hands down, the best recipe I have tried so far!!!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 8, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Yeah! It’a keeper and I just made them last night 🙂

14. Alisa January 12, 2014 at 5:52 pm

What would be a good substitute for the Cream of Tartar?

thanks!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 12, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I’ve tried baking soda and it works. Just half it because when I used the same measurement the taste was really strong.

15. Nads February 8, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I am def making some of these this week. I’ve been eating primally for the last 6 weeks and my kids are mostly on board, it’s jut the lunches, they have wraps every day with different good meats veges etc in them, but now that I have found these, they will almost be all primal too! God knows they behave like cavemen most of the time!!!

16. John-Mark May 4, 2014 at 10:23 pm

What heat level did you cook these on? There is no indication in the recipe that you ever turned the stove on at all ….

Sorry to have to ask for guidance, but I would like to try and get it right the first time.

Thanks!

1. Kelly Bejelly May 5, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Medium heat! I just updated the recipe! Thanks for asking John-Mark 🙂

17. Michelle E of PA June 10, 2014 at 5:02 am

18. Lisa June 13, 2014 at 9:21 am

Kelly, can you please tell me if you can freeze these? They are great by the way!

1. Kelly Bejelly June 13, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Hi Lisa, Honestly, they don’t last long enough in our house. I don’t see why they would not freeze well because eggs and tapioca seem to work great in make ahead meals.

19. Mary August 8, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I tried the recipe for the creeps and they tasted great, but I burned the last two. I used the eggs at room temperature, will try them again as they tasted wonderful.

1. Mary August 8, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Crepes -spell check is awful

20. Nynke August 10, 2014 at 5:18 am

What’s cream of tarter? I’m from Holland. Never heard about it!

1. Kelly Bejelly August 10, 2014 at 7:33 am

You can use baking soda. Just use half of the measurement as it has a strong taste.

21. Leigh November 3, 2014 at 9:15 am

Mine turned out very eggs and after doubling the recipe I only ended up with 9… hel?

1. Kelly Bejelly November 6, 2014 at 8:18 am

I’m sorry this didn’t turn out well for you hun. Perhaps replace another egg with an egg white?

22. Staci November 18, 2014 at 9:12 am

I made these this weekend for Taco’s and they were very good!! You can switch up the flavor of them easily with fresh herbs! I was able to make 4 tortilla’s out of this batch. I would double the batch next time and freeze them! Enjoy!

1. Kelly Bejelly November 30, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Yeah! Thanks for the tip about the fresh herbs!

23. Joanne January 6, 2015 at 12:55 am

Hi
    I made the wraps today and they tasted great. But my mixture was very thick and I only got three. Do you have any idea what I might have done wrong?

1. Kelly Bejelly January 6, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Hrmm . I’ve found that egg size isn’t standard. Were you using pastured eggs? They tend to run on the small size and would affect the “liquid” measurement to do this correctly.

24. Kim January 24, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I want to thank you for this fantastic recipe! My husband has agreed to go down this new paleo path with me and I have struggled to find breads that he will eat (most smell funny to him – they smell like nuts but what can you do with this guy?). So when I made these wraps I cautiously waited for the verdict – and he loved them! I’ll be making these all the time from now on – thanks a bunch!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 26, 2015 at 10:47 am

yeah! I’m so glad you enjoyed it Kim!

25. Kate January 26, 2015 at 8:03 pm

These are fantastic, I just made them and my 5 yr old loved them.
    She starts school this year so I’m wondering how well they keep? Will they go hard if I keep a batch in the fridge? Or are they best to be kept out in the pantry?

1. Kelly Bejelly January 28, 2015 at 8:32 am

They will firm up in the fridge. You can leave them out on the day they are eaten. I’m so glad your kiddo enjoyed them Kate!

26. Melody January 27, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Hi! I realize that you said that these do not last long at your house,but I was wondering if they could be stored at room temperature. I have an out of time business meeting next week and these would be helpful to have on hand to help with the meals.

1. Kelly Bejelly January 27, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I would keep these in the fridge for long term storage. You can leave these out of the fridge the day you are going to eat them.

1. Vivian May 5, 2015 at 7:34 am

Would it work without tapioca starch? I have similar effects to gluten sensitivity with tapioca starch.

27. Toni April 1, 2015 at 9:40 pm

I stupidly purchased arrowroot flour instead of the tapioca flour called for in the wraps (from the recipe in the Paleo Eats cookbook). With the rest of the ingredients already in the bowl, I figured – what the heck – I’ll just give it a try with the arrowroot flour. The wraps turned out wonderfully, but I promise to get some tapioca flour and make them as directed. Still, it’s good to know that the arrowroot can be used in a pinched. These wraps are very good, and I’m so pleased to finally have a good wrap recipe. They’re not only tasty, but the texture is lovely and they are both sturdy and pliable. Wraps are so versatile, and can be used in so many different ways in paleo cuisine. I just spread a little butter and maple syrup on a warm one … and called it dessert! Thanks for the great cookbook.

28. Sandy April 10, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Are sesame seeds really Paleo?

29. Abby May 31, 2015 at 3:09 am

Cooked these tonight for my 1yo and 3yo. 1yo loved them was asking for more before she had finished the first. 3yo ate them but as three year olds are, changed her mind 6 times about them. I like them and will defiantly be cooking them again. Thank you for a lovely recipe

1. Kelly Bejelly September 10, 2015 at 11:29 am

Kids are just too much. So glad your all enjoyed it Abby!

30. Fiona June 3, 2015 at 1:28 am

Have scanned through all old comments so sorry if already asked.
    Do these work as a cold wrap for sandwiches? Looking for something my daughter can take to school. She is doing quite well with not needing a sandwich/wrap daily but know she likes them and it will help her with the changes we have made to diet.
    many thanks

1. Kelly Bejelly June 3, 2015 at 2:30 pm

They are pretty firm when they are cold but if you keep them at room temp they should be fine (i.e. putting it in a lunch box for the day).

31. Karina September 13, 2015 at 11:40 am

Is there anything I can use instead of “cream or tartar,” (preferably not baking soda because of the high amount of sodium)? Thank you!

1. Kelly Bejelly September 14, 2015 at 11:45 am

Baking soda is what I was going to recommend. You could probably get away with using 1/4 teaspoon.

32. Christine November 30, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I made the wraps this morning. I love the recipe. Mine seemed to be thicker than yours, so I add a tablespoon of water…… Perfect!!
    Thank you!!

1. Kelly Bejelly January 18, 2016 at 10:06 am

Yeah! So glad you enjoyed them Christine!

33. Katlyn December 6, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Question: do they taste eggy? I tried another paleo wrap recipe and couldn’t do the flavor?

Thanks!

Katlyn

34. Denese December 28, 2015 at 8:45 am

Can you use egg replacer for folks with egg allergies?

1. Kelly Bejelly December 28, 2015 at 9:05 am

Tapioca works well with egg replacer hun so it should work well. You may need to tweak the flour measurment though.

35. Aida February 4, 2016 at 5:51 am

Those wraps are just perfect.. thank u for the recipe. ..

36. Sharon February 5, 2016 at 11:50 am

Best wraps Ive found since I dont tolerate cassava and tapioca.
    Made these with arrowroot and almond flour (since I discovered my spice grinder is dead). Rolled them and froze, perfect to pull out for a quick meal. I enjoyed my first taco in a long time the other night with my family instead of having taco salad. Thanks. Taking them to a taco dinner party tonite for us non-grain crowd. Woo hoo!!
    Have also made them wtihout the garlic for sweet applications – nut butter and jam for instance.

37. monica young February 19, 2016 at 12:00 pm

How many wraps does this recipe make and can I substitute butter for the coconut oil?
    also can they be made successfully if made into 10 inch burrito size? also what brand of coffee grinder
    do you use as I would want one that can also grind almonds & coconut in flour if that’s possible?

1. Kelly Bejelly May 2, 2016 at 9:02 am

You can make them larger but you will probably only get 3 wraps. If you make smaller wraps this makes about 6

38. Carolyn March 19, 2016 at 7:00 am

It’s probably a stupid question; however, when I made these today I wasn’t sure if the 1 Tbsp of coconut oil was supposed to be added to the batter or used in the pan. I added it to the batter and used additional coconut oil in the pan. The recipe made 6 wraps. I haven’t used them yet, but my taste test was good.

1. Kelly Bejelly March 20, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Hi Carolyn! It’s to grease the pan and I just updated the recipe. Enjoy!

1. Carolyn Smith April 10, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Thanks, Kelly. I just wanted to let you know that I love your wraps! I add all purpose seasoning to give a savory flavor. I’ve made them with the sesame seeds, the almond flour, a mixture of both and with ground flax seeds when I was out of both sesame seeds and almond flour. All were wonderful. Thank you for a great recipe.

39. Melanie April 14, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Came on to say I just made these for lunch and they were wonderful! Thank you. My kids had 3 each! (They are piggies). Thank you 🙂

I used almond meal that I lightly toasted before using as it was a little old.

Was really nice. Soaked up the lamb roast sauce beautifully. Added salad. Yum.

1. Kelly Bejelly May 2, 2016 at 8:58 am

Awesome!! I’m so glad your kiddos enjoyed them hun.

40. Claudia Vogel July 8, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I was excited to see a gluten free recipe for wraps. So, i made the recipe, as written, using Almond flour (in place of sesame flour and Arrowroot, in place of the Tapioca.

Normally, with this kind of batter, I would swirl the batter, in the pan (ala’ Crepes), to evenly distribute it. However, I wasn’t able to do that because almost immediately, when the batter hit the pan, it created a raised edge, preventing the swirl. This caused the batter to puddle. As it cooked, it created a thicker pancake/wrap than I wanted.

So, I went back to the drawing board. I trippled the recipe (using 14 whole eggs – we have laying hens & get 9-11 eggs a day :-). I also added 2 Tbsp of filtered water.

I made my wraps in a 10″ non-stick fry pan, using 1/4 cup batter at a time, pouring it in a circle and then immediately swirling it to cover the pan.

This gave me 8 perfect 10″ wraps, which are amazing & exactly what I have been looking for. Even though I adapted it, I couldn’t have done it without your original recipe. So, THANK YOU! 😀

41. ella August 14, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Hello, can i used a Soy flour or the Bob’s Red Mill AMARANTH flour instead of tapioca flour for the wraps?

1. Kelly Bejelly August 18, 2016 at 9:19 am

Soy will not work hun. You need a starchy flour to make this recipe work. Arrowroot would work if you don’t want to use tapioca.

42. LINDA PETERSON October 20, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Kelly, I tried the Paleo wrap recipe……
    Thank you! Thank you!
    I have been searching for something to made a lunchtime sandwich with….or a healthy crepe…or tacos. This fits the bill all the way around. The texture, taste and rollability is perfect.
    Like you’re I was pre-diabetic a year ago, and lost 75 lbs after eliminating sugars, breads, pastas and bad carbs…..and adding proteins, good carb fruits and vegetables.
    But I added seed and nut breads back in (because I LOVE breads) , and now my tummy is back, and I can’t lose any more weight. This will feed my craving (in moderation if course) while keeping me healthy.
    I’ll be changing the seasoning from garlic to whatever the wrap will be for…cinnamon…..cumin….dill.
    I used almond flour instead of sesame…worked fine.
    Kudos to you!

P.S. I’m from McMinnville OR!

1. Kelly Bejelly November 13, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Hi neighbor 🙂 So glad you enjoy the recipe hun!

43. Marci December 11, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Oh this was just perfect and simple! I used all egg whites instead and it still turned out great. I decided to make some premixed bags to keep on hand so all I need to do is add egg whites. Love it!

44. Rachel February 24, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Just made these today. I made them a little larger and got 3. I used almond flour. I recommend swirling the pan immediately after pouring in the batter to make sure they’re thin and even. I could smell the egg when cooking and the texture looks eggy but they’re pretty sturdy and have a strong, pliable texture that tastes pretty neutral – even good with butter. I am going to try it with two eggs and two egg whites next time. Used them in a chicken verde enchilada dish and they held up wonderfully and tasted GREAT! Will make again…and again.

1. Dawn Lancaster April 24, 2017 at 3:17 pm

I just made these and then decided to read the reviews. I also used almond flour as well. My daughter who despises eggs didn’t watch me make them but tasted one and raved about how delicious they are. The first one came out thick, more like a pancake, so I swirled the pan and made them thinner. Without the savory ingredients would likely be a delicious pancake. Recipe is a definite keeper. Thank you Kelly!!

45. Lynn Deutsch March 8, 2017 at 10:52 am

Thank you for this recipe. Interestingly enough, I decided to use Trader Joe’s spice jar of “everything but the bagel” which includes, garlic, onion, poppy seeds and both black and regular sesame seeds. I adjusted the quantities and whirled all that into the vitamix to make the powder. I made the enchiladas last night and they were a hit!

46. Ashley March 13, 2017 at 2:10 pm

These are amazing!! I poured mine a bit thinner and made 6 with one batch. I’m definitely making a large batch and freezing these!

47. Sherrie March 27, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Love them! And they fold without breaking! This recipe is a keeper!

48. Nicole September 1, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Hi Kelly, I made it today, the texture is great but it has bitter taste, I wonder the bitter taste is from the sesame seeds. I bought from amazon via your link. Does sesame seeds supposed to taste bitter or I got a bad batch?

49. Erika April 25, 2019 at 6:51 pm

This is a fantastic recipe- thank you so much!!!! I ended up adding a ttcht of water to make it a tiny bit thinner/ to make bigger wraps. For some I added fresh herbs to the pan before the batter solidified. Yummmmmm.

For any other readers, I suspect that these would make a great crepe / Swedish pancake recipe, minus the garlic flour, add a tiny bit of sugar (coconut sugar, or honey???? ) . Im tempted to make a version of Jian bing with this as well.

I’m so glad I ran into this recipe. Thanks for persevering and sharing it!!!!

1. Kelly Bejelly April 26, 2019 at 5:58 am