I didn’t grow up eating green bean casserole, in fact most the vegetables I ate growing up came in a can.
However, I do remember the first time I had fresh green beans at my Grandma’s house. She whipped up a dish that as soon as I tasted, I proceeded to destroy my serving and quickly ask for seconds.
I remember there was bacon and these small potatoes that tasted like heaven. I seriously started wondering what the heck my mom had been cooking for us the whole time because it never tasted like this.
This Green Beans with Bacon and Mushrooms recipe is pretty simple and a homage to my grandmother’s recipe.
I hope that you enjoy it.
- 12 oz Fresh green beans, cleaned
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 3 crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1 spring of thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 slices of bacon, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Add the diced bacon, shallots and mushroom to pan over medium heat and cook until the mushrooms brown, roughly 8 - 10 minutes
- Next add in the green beans, broth, salt and pepper and give a good mix.
- Cover with a lid and let steam for 8 -10 minutes or until the 99% of the broth is gone.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 332mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 4g
© 2011-2012, A Girl Worth Saving. Feel free to pin my posts but do not repost my full recipe on your blog, Tumblr, or any other website.